Respected Contributor

Re: Are you getting enough sleep?

On 12/1/2014 holiday62 said:

Can i ask you what they said about the kids and being at school so early? thanks!

I for one, wish school didnt have to start so early. I guess 8 isnt too bad really, but it just means you have to get up and ready so early. I think 9 or 10 am would be much better. Give them a chance to sleep in a bit and just "be", instead of "rush rush rush". Especially on these super cold morning!! Its 2 below with the windchill of 19 below! And its still kind of dark when the bus comes. That makes it even colder!! ugh!

But, i guess that would mess up the parents work schedule too. Can't win.

Oh and i forgot to say, i get about 6 hours a night. I have sleep problems cause of my back, can only sleep for that amount of time without too much pain. And usually i wake up once to go to the bathroom. I havent had a "good" night sleeps since way before i had kids and that was over 27 years ago!!

and i do sometimes take like a 30 min nap. Sometimes it helps, sometimes makes me more tired.

Schools have to start early to accommodate after-school programs and to allow time for all classes during a day and week. This would be for high school, but the need filters on down through the middle and elementary schools. I know it's tough for high schoolers to get up and going, but that's life!

Valued Contributor

I get up to pee about 3-4 times a night. I fall asleep around midnight but am out of bed by 8:30. I never sleep very good.

Respected Contributor

Regarding kids, our high school and middle school begin at 7:30 am. That means a lot of kids are on the road at 6:30 to get to school. The elementary begins at 8:30. I have heard that it would be better for older kids to start later, sleep-wise. Some of them still look asleep at 10am. Glassy eyed and not focused. If course, they get out at 2pm, which for high school.kids is better because of jobs. And then there are always sports, etc to think about. I do think it would be good to.prioritize sleep, eating, and some exercise in addition to schoolwork. I think a lot of kids are too busy running around doing too much extra stuff. Then they're never in bed before midnight or later. My sister teaches 2nd grade and she always has a few kids nodding off every day.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

I've heard that teenagers'/young adults' Circadium Rhythm flip-flops during that age, so they want to sleep all day and be up all night. Opposite of what I need.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 gulf coast girl said:

I get up to pee about 3-4 times a night. I fall asleep around midnight but am out of bed by 8:30. I never sleep very good.

Most often when people are waking repeatedly through the night to pee it is because they have sleep apnea. When you are breathing poorly your body builds up CO2 (carbon dioxide) and becomes acidotic so your kidneys recognize that the lungs are not doing their job and they kick in to try and relieve the acidosis. The only way the kidneys have to do that is to make urine.Thus - you wake up having to pee .You feel tired and like you did not sleep well because your body is waking you up to breathe. You really should have a sleep study.I am so glad I did - now I sleep like a baby and wake up ready to face the day.

Honored Contributor

Yes
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've had 4 sleep studies done. I have mild sleep apnea. I sleep fine. My late husband would go days at a time when he couldn't sleep.

He wore a monitor that tested his sleeping pattern. It didn't show anything. I think it put stress on his heart and body. Ten years ago when he was 58 years old, he stood up in front of me and dropped dead. I did CPR and neither I nor the EMT's could get his heart started.

Nothing could be found to be wrong with him. They could not find a reason for his death. He worked out every day (he even had 'a 6 pack). He was muscular and not overweight.

Lack of sleep (good sleep) does tremendous stress on the entire body. If someone is having trouble sleeping, they need to get it checked out.

Honored Contributor

I sleep great, no complaints at all.
Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 RedTop said: I sleep great, no complaints at all.

What do you think allows that to happen for you? And, congratulations! I'd love to know what works for you. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't slept a full night in years....I don't know what the secret is to attain that....Saturday I only slept for three hours......

It doesn't matter if I am awake all day or if I take a nap...I never sleep more then two or three hours...then I am up...if I am lucky...I will fall back to sleep...mostly I don't....

Thank goodness I am retired....it was a real struggle back then...

Children's start time at 8am isn't so bad if they didn't have to be on the bus so darn early!!! They have to be up....shower...dress...eat breakfast...then be out at the curb by 7am...that's sometimes way earlier then the parents who have to go to work....The only problem with them starting later...it would cause trouble with the parent going to their job...