Honored Contributor

Are you getting enough sleep?

Recorded a NatGeo show on sleep depravation. I had no idea. It can be responsible for weight gain, accidents, of course, and even lead to Alzheimer's. That's just what I've seen so far.

So please everyone, get the sleep you need. Take time for it, I don't think I realized the importance of it. Some nights more than others, I have a problem with being awake for a couple of hours. As I get older I seem to sleep a bit more. Not into naps, but I may start!

How's your sleep?

Also, the kid's having to be at school so early compared to their sleep cycles. That part was interesting. How do you feel about that, if you've thought or heard about it?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you getting enough sleep?

Can i ask you what they said about the kids and being at school so early? thanks!

I for one, wish school didnt have to start so early. I guess 8 isnt too bad really, but it just means you have to get up and ready so early. I think 9 or 10 am would be much better. Give them a chance to sleep in a bit and just "be", instead of "rush rush rush". Especially on these super cold morning!! Its 2 below with the windchill of 19 below! And its still kind of dark when the bus comes. That makes it even colder!! ugh!

But, i guess that would mess up the parents work schedule too. Can't win.

Oh and i forgot to say, i get about 6 hours a night. I have sleep problems cause of my back, can only sleep for that amount of time without too much pain. And usually i wake up once to go to the bathroom. I havent had a "good" night sleeps since way before i had kids and that was over 27 years ago!!

and i do sometimes take like a 30 min nap. Sometimes it helps, sometimes makes me more tired.

Super Contributor

I saw that show before. I really is an eye opener! As someone who has suffered from insomnia I do try and prioritize sleep.......holiday 8am isn't too bad my high schooler has to be there by 7:15! The early high school hours is what they talked about, teens having to get up before sunrise to go to school
Honored Contributor

I have been reading and hearing more and more about the wondrous powers of sleep!

I do not sleep well at all. Haven't in ages. When I was younger, in my 20's and 30's, even still 40's, I slept like a log. Boy, how I wish I could do that now!

For the most part, I can get to sleep fairly easily. However, I can't seem to stay asleep. Waking up many, many times in the night.

Taking pills is not the answer. This is not a natural sleep.

I believe that this is very true about getting a proper amount of sleep being crucial to physical and mental health.

However, how does one achieve a restful and nice sleep?

I try to do all the tips which I have read about. My sleeping or not sleeping is the same not matter what I do or don't do.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My sleep is inconsistent. Some nights I get a really good sleep and other nights I don't. It's not the quantity of sleep for me, it's the quality. If I get 5 or 6 really good hours of sleep, I'm good. LOL

Yes, I think school starts too early. My kids start at 7:55. They have to leave by 7:20 - earlier if it's bad weather. Occasionally, they will have a "late start" at 8:55. That one hours makes such a difference.

Honored Contributor

When I was working being sleep deprived was my way of life. Even on my days off I had so much to do I could not sleep in.We worked 12 hour shifts so I had to get up at 5AM and I worked until7:30PM then it took at least 30 min to get home. By the time I took a shower and had something to eat it was 8:30 or 9PM. Some time to spend with hubby, get my clothes out for in the AM, pet the dog and let her out in the yard for a while and I would get to bed at the very earliest at 10PM, and usually later than that. Add to that days of being on call so I would get called back in or have numerous phone calls to ask me questions about things the person calling should have known the answers to. I was exhausted all the time.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/1/2014 brii said:

My sleep is inconsistent. Some nights I get a really good sleep and other nights I don't. It's not the quantity of sleep for me, it's the quality. If I get 5 or 6 really good hours of sleep, I'm good. LOL

Yes, I think school starts too early. My kids start at 7:55. They have to leave by 7:20 - earlier if it's bad weather. Occasionally, they will have a "late start" at 8:55. That one hours makes such a difference.

yep, i agree, when we have that "late start", sometimes one or two hours (depending on what is going on in the weather, snow/ice/below zero temps), it makes a total difference. I always hope for late starts. (but, only bad part of that, is if we have too many, then they have to make up the days in June. Tho, i'd rather they have school then, then try to get to school in a foot of snow on a bus. Or icy roads. Mine leave at 7:20 also! And get home around 3:30.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/1/2014 holiday62 said:

Can i ask you what they said about the kids and being at school so early? thanks!

I for one, wish school didnt have to start so early. I guess 8 isnt too bad really, but it just means you have to get up and ready so early. I think 9 or 10 am would be much better. Give them a chance to sleep in a bit and just "be", instead of "rush rush rush". Especially on these super cold morning!! Its 2 below with the windchill of 19 below! And its still kind of dark when the bus comes. That makes it even colder!! ugh!

But, i guess that would mess up the parents work schedule too. Can't win.

Oh and i forgot to say, i get about 6 hours a night. I have sleep problems cause of my back, can only sleep for that amount of time without too much pain. And usually i wake up once to go to the bathroom. I havent had a "good" night sleeps since way before i had kids and that was over 27 years ago!!

and i do sometimes take like a 30 min nap. Sometimes it helps, sometimes makes me more tired.

ITA! I try and get a nap in so I feel more rested. I also take magnesium at night and I'm sleeping better! Teenagers need more sleep and mine were always on their cell phone, etc and stayed up late. It was impossible to get them up in the morning, they had to be at HS at 7:40..ugh! I took them in my robe..lol!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

No, I never get enough sleep, but when you are so exhausted at 9:30 pm that you can't keep your eyes open, and wide awake enough to do brain surgery at 2:45 and then not go back to sleep until it's time to get up, thinking "I should get more sleep" really doesn't work.
Super Contributor

No. I have too much pain laying down because of upper spine issues.... I sleep poorly and get up about 2AM each day. I try to take a nap, but, because of the pain in my shoulders, arms and upper back it is hard to really sleep.