Honored Contributor

Re: Are there ANY reasonable dentists left🤔😮😳

@homedecor1 did they give you a reason why you need to have all your caps replaced other than the fact that a lot of dentists are implant happy?

Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I have been going to my dentist for many years. He will do a treatment plan for gum or tooth problems but does not try to force me to accept. He will point out possible dangers for not taking care of issues but when or if I get work done is entirely up to me. 

For teeth cleaning, I actually prefer the Cavitron. I have to request it each time.  It cuts way down on the manual scraping and digging I hate and makes cleaning go much faster. Thankfully, no gum sensitivity at all. 

I don’t have any way to compare costs, but I feel he is expensive. He works alone.

@ Montana  I have to ask ,  what us Cavitron ?

Honored Contributor

They type Theof dental care you are talking about is very expensive.  Like everything in medicine, dental care/procedures/implants continue to improve leaps and bounds and yes, the charges reflect that.  Paying for dental insurance is almost an insult now.  I have it through work and I don't know why. It only pays a small part of the charges. 

Esteemed Contributor

Had a wonderful dentist for 21 yrs ,   He wasn't chep but none are ,   But he was honest , gentle and never pushed anything .   He always took the conservative route.  We relocated to a different state and Have a new dentist for the last 5 yrs who my parents have gone to for yrs and he is wonderful as well .   He is always joking around which I appreciate as I am an axnious  patient ,   Always hsve been .  He is ultra conservative and prefers to keep an eye on things and not to rush into treatment .  I to,d him when I first moved here and saw another dentist he told me I had a tooth that was loose ,   A molar and that I needed to get a Implant  before much more bone loss .   My Now dentist said it is in there very good and he sees absolutely no reason to replace.  That goes  to show how dentists just want money.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

I have 8 caps (porcelain) over 25 years old had them done in my late 20s.  This is what the dds claims could be why I'm having "periodontal" and in her estimation some are in need of replacement.  I have no problems with any of my teeth!

Yes, implants seem to be the "new thing"!  

I have dental insurance given thru my employer -- isn't worth much only covers $1,500/year and pays only small % of procedures.  and does not cover bridges, implants or any procedures for implants or periodontal work.  

Guess insurance company hasn't caught up with dental fees or new procedures.  I've only used it for cleanings, 1 filling and 1 extraction in 15 years🤷‍♀️.

This dds was a new office in the area I was referred to by someone. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   So are your teeth and gums in excellent condition and that is why their suggestions upset you so?

if not then   Perhaps just do the gum cleaning for now... if that is a concern.....and do more little by little that REALLY needs to be done.

And  always get a second opinion.....bring a copy of what was suggested to the next dentist.

Esteemed Contributor

I work for dental insurance  very eye opening

the first thing the dentist office when they call in how much benefits a person has left for the year, then they want history and replacement clause on plan. I think they just want to use up the patient's benefits even if they don't need it.

my friend works for a dental office, she told me they get monthly bonuses if they can up-sell (night guards, invisalin...etc)

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

I have 8 caps (porcelain) over 25 years old had them done in my late 20s.  This is what the dds claims could be why I'm having "periodontal" and in her estimation some are in need of replacement.  I have no problems with any of my teeth!

Yes, implants seem to be the "new thing"!  

I have dental insurance given thru my employer -- isn't worth much only covers $1,500/year and pays only small % of procedures.  and does not cover bridges, implants or any procedures for implants or periodontal work.  

Guess insurance company hasn't caught up with dental fees or new procedures.  I've only used it for cleanings, 1 filling and 1 extraction in 15 years🤷‍♀️.

This dds was a new office in the area I was referred to by someone. 

I am about 5 crowns (out of 8) into the replacement of all the gold crowns I had from my 20's into my 60's.   With his new digital x-ray machine (which I'm paying for) - my dentist said he saw decay under the edges.   Since I'm retired and my dental plan only plays 50% -  I told my dentist one a year - so he is prioritizing the worse ones.  At this rate, he will want to replace the ones he is adding now.    

I am considering changing dentists and hygienists after today but then - I suspect I will just be facing more of the same

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@laraffinee 

Well said and thanks to your explanation I might need to call and re-think finding another dentist as may be the same!

I am in no way saying I didn't/wouldn't  get excellent care.  I was just shocked I needed to sign the treatment plan, payment terms, etc. 

and the business manager certainly did not explain as you are here...thank you!!! I'm sure they could use you because I'm sure many patients are overwhelmed when they see this😉

and I didn't get a cleaning ...frankly, this was unbelievable as I had just been to my dds 6 months ago (going to this dds for 15 years) & all was fine...just amazing all the problems identified ...IMO have no dental issues!

this office is new in our area and certainly "state of the art" for sure ... thus prices I'm sure!

After reading your post @laraffinee  thank you maybe I need to call them & review what procedures I would do.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Yes IMO all is fine -- no dental issues or complaints.

A 2nd opinion is a good idea but who knows I'll be convinced🤔 I need this work.  (I'm not easy to part with my money unless I'm sure).