Trusted Contributor

Re: Are probiotics meant to be taken forever?

@morganjen A little off subject, but interested to know:

Have your probiotics helped improve your health and if you don't mind sharing, in what way have they helped?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking Andrews Ultimate Friendly Flora Probiotics for a long time. I don't know how long.

I started taking it because every once in a while I would wake up in the middle of the night with acid reflux.

I take his probiotic with his digestive enzymes. Have not had acid reflux since. I also stopped eating after 7 pm.

Pubmed shows there are no long term use studies.

Honored Contributor

I've taken CVS's store brand probiotics on and off for a couple of years.  I think they help keep me regular and reduce bloating.  It is the only OTC or for that matter drug I take.  I do have a problem with people like Colleen on HSN who seem to take multiple OTC drugs.  Unless the person has a specific problem, I think doing that can be dangerous.

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

That can't be repeated enough.

Over the counter medications are a perfect example.  Standard dosages of anything depends on weight.  This is why children's medications (Rx and OTC) go by weight.

For years companies used 130 lbs as the standard weight for dosing.  I know people who need to take more of something because of their weight, or less of something (including breaking a tablet in half) because of their weight.

Don't get me started of people taking Nyquil for years as a sleep aid.

They might be alcoholics if that's gone on for a long time --  Nyquil is mainly alcohol with some cold meds thrown in.

I'd certainly check with my doctor on taking any OTC med on a frequent basis. A lot of "health aids" are a hit or mix concoction not regulated by anyone other than the manufacturer. Remember that Quack a few years ago that made millions with "miracle" cures? He went to jail for years.  Some people I knew followed his advice as if he were a doctor. Money down the drain and some unpleasant side effects. the worst part was that some of his "patients" needed serious medical treatment that they didn"t receive.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

According to the science behind it, there isn't enough known about probiotics to say how long someone should take them. There are many factors that come into play that can effect how a person will react to taking probiotics. Bottom line is to discuss it with your doctor before you take them because not everyone should be taking them.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics/introduction.htm#hed1

@SilleeMee

Most doctors don’t have any knowledge about supplements. They don’t really receive education about them.

I’m positive that my doctor knows nothing about probiotics and I learned years ago not to ask his advice about any supplements.

It is dangerous to ask advice and sometimes receive it from a doctor who doesn’t know what he is talking about but thinks he knows everything because he is, after all, the doctor...

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

According to the science behind it, there isn't enough known about probiotics to say how long someone should take them. There are many factors that come into play that can effect how a person will react to taking probiotics. Bottom line is to discuss it with your doctor before you take them because not everyone should be taking them.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics/introduction.htm#hed1

@SilleeMee

Most doctors don’t have any knowledge about supplements. They don’t really receive education about them.

I’m positive that my doctor knows nothing about probiotics and I learned years ago not to ask his advice about any supplements.

It is dangerous to ask advice and sometimes receive it from a doctor who doesn’t know what he is talking about but thinks he knows everything because he is, after all, the doctor...

Most doctors have extremely limited knowledge on nutrition, as well.

That’s what I would be most fearful. Just on these boards,

cardiologists are referring patients a pre-made ‘slimfast’ type of drink

as a meal replacement!  Stuns me patients view doctors as god-like,

never questioning their advice, keeping them sick.  Just reminds me

not that long ago, doctors would smoke in their offices. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although there are no 'prescription' probiotics and are not FDA regulated, there are medical foods.  Medical foods fall under the FDA regulations as food and cosmetics. They are given as dietary management of a disease that has a specific nutritional requirement. For example, many of these types of 'foods' are administered through feeding tubes and contain special formulas. Very different from a probiotic where their ingredients are not proven to provide any benefits.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Interesting!

Do we dare touch on ‘fecal microbiota transplant (FMT)’?

My Plant Based forums talk about it from time to time joking

by saying many Plant Based people could be wonderful donors!

I watched a video about harvesting the ‘materials’ for a FMT.

The vetting process is intense. 

Honored Contributor

The research on that is fascinating.

I first read about it in Eating Well Magazine.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee

Interesting!

Do we dare touch on ‘fecal microbiota transplant (FMT)’?

My Plant Based forums talk about it from time to time joking

by saying many Plant Based people could be wonderful donors!

I watched a video about harvesting the ‘materials’ for a FMT.

The vetting process is intense. 

Sounds disgusting but I would imagine that kind of 'transplant' would be like revegetating a burned-down forest...the forest being like the gut. @sidsmom Sometimes a little intervention is needed to help things along. I would think FMT would be beneficial to those who have lost their upper-GI function from an injury or a disease.