Respected Contributor

Re: April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

@Silver Lining

I am so sorry for the suffering of your father and that you lost him to this awful disease as well.

Thank you for your kind words.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Have said here many times that Endoscopy should be put on lists of medical "must do's", especially at an advanced age. 

My personal story I will repeat.

No symptoms. The only reason I had my Endo when I did was because of my-brother-in-law. He had Esophageal Cancer, and chose surgery to remove most of his stomach and other malignant tissue. He lived many good years after his surgery. Had he not had the surgery, the doctors gave him the Chemo option, or said maybe 9 months max to live.

I went in Asymptomatic, no problems at all. The findings?

1) GERD

2) Inflamed Esophagus

3). Hiatal Hernia

4) Barrett's Esophagus (precancerous tissue)

Led to Nexium/Endo every 3 months for a year/Endo every 6 months for 3 years, and annually ever since. I tell this story to let people know that all cases do not have symptoms, and I am one the had the Endoscopy, only because of my relative having this type of deadly cancer.

Thank you for your very informative post. I hope everyone here takes this disease seriously, and also that a person like myself, can have Zero Symptoms, and still have a serious underlying problem. Fortunately, I caught mine early enough.

hckynut(john) 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

Thank you John for sharing your story. The fact that you were asymptomatic makes me think that maybe my mom wasn't necessarily hiding symptoms from the family after all. Maybe she ad acid reflux and heart burn and wasn't to the point of extremely miserable....I guess I can have some hope that maybe she didn't suffer as terribly as I have feared.

Thank you again

I guess I was hoping there might be the slightest chance that my mom didn't suffer as miserably as she probably did after all....she was probably just so afraid 

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl

@lolakimono

@hckynut@Silver Lining@Gram W

I just want to add that I discovered I had GERD ( Acid reflux) back when I was 30 years old. I was having swallowing issues and back lash. Also my saliva gland would not close. Plus they found my esophagus was full of pin holes. I was being watched closely and like I said before, about 11 years ago my gastro dr. found a tumor on my esophagus. It was small and he tried to get it all, but couldn't catch it all. That's what led me to Mayo Clinic.

I will get my exam in January 2018 and I hope it hasn't come back to any great size. I've been on different acid blockers for 34 years. Yes, I am 64. The weird thing is my digestion system makes acid even when stomach is empty. This causes issues obviously. Take Care everyone and stay proactive!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread, @lolakimono!!

I take issue with the fact that this is still said to be a "rare" cancer.  According to ECAN, this is the fastest-rising cancer diagnosis in the U.S.

The fact that it usually comes too late is totally unnecessary.  

In a week, it will be 3 years since my dad died of esophageal cancer.  I often think about what he would be doing now if he'd had an endoscopy sooner.  Things would be a lot different; not just for him, but for our whole family.  It didn't have to happen.

Smiley Sad

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I wasn't sure where I fell for a long time - somewhere between Barrett's and pre-cancer.   (I only have the last 3 symptoms listed in the OP anyway)

But I learned that what I currently have is called 'Schatzki Ring'.     I was so happy just to know exactly what it is because it's really a pain - literally.  I learned more about schatzki ring at that point and, sure enough - ;that's what's going on here.

While, of course, I wouldn't wish cancer on anybody either, I wouldn't wish this diagnosis on anyonel.   It causes a lot of problems, stress, pain, and sometimes having to force the food up which isn't always all that easy and often takes an hour or more.

Another thing I learned, in case anybody here is interested, is that there is a treatment they can do but it's kind of awful.  They put a balloon in there, then blow it up.  You feel like you can't breathe.  They take a bunch of money from you.  Then it comes back.   Sounds like it's just easier to try and be careful and deal with it.  I'm pretty used to it now but it does affect my life some.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

I have never heard of that one, but it sure sounds like something nobody would want diagnosed. You lost me on "balloons/can't breathe and took a lot of money" comment. Wishing you the best having to deal with this. I am still dealing with the Barrett's, and a couple other things.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sorry, John.  That was just kind of a silly shorthand - 

They put the balloon down in your throat to the area, then blow it up.  I guess it somehow or other breaks the 'ring'.

It makes you feel like you can't breathe, which is one thing of which I cannot deal at all. But then it also costs a bunch of money and will most likely come back again, anyway.   Smiley Happy

HTH

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

No automatic alt text available.