Respected Contributor

🔷April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month🔷

http://m.ktxs.com/esophageal-cancer-awareness-month/38548906

Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

"It seems harmless, but reflux disease that causes heartburn can lead to deadly esophageal cancer, one of the fastest growing cancer diagnoses in the nation.

What is Esophageal Cancer?

Esophageal cancer is a disease in which cancer cells form in the esophagus—the muscular tube that moves food to the stomach. There are two types of Esophageal Cancer:

1. Squamous cell carcinoma, which is usually linked to smoking and drinking alcohol.

2. Adenocarcinoma, the type most prevalent in the western world, which is usually caused by persistent heartburn or reflux disease.

How serious is Esophageal Cancer?

Most people with Esophageal Cancer eventually die from it. Less than one in 20 patients diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer will survive five years. This is largely because the disease is usually discovered at late stages—when treatment is rarely successful. The key to surviving this cancer is early detection.

How does Esophageal Cancer start?

In the United States, it most often begins with persistent Heartburn or reflux disease. The sensation of Heartburn means that caustic fluids are splashing upward from the stomach, damaging the lining of the esophagus, though some people feel no symptoms.

Overtime, this may cause the cells lining the esophagus to change to a more resistant lining. While that may cause a reduction in the Heartburn symptoms someone feels, those changes can also be the early signs of a precancerous change in the esophagus.

This condition is known as Barrett’s Esophagus and only one of 20 people even know they have it because it produces no symptoms.

How do I know if I am at risk?

If you have a history of severe Heartburn or reflux disease or someone in your family has a history of Barrett’s Esophagus or Esophageal Cancer, talk with your doctor. Even if your reflux symptoms are controlled, you still could be at risk.

If you had Heartburn symptoms and they have gone away, you may be at increased risk.

Symptoms of persistent Heartburn or reflux disease, chronic cough, hoarseness or sore throat, coughing when you lie down or difficulty swallowing are reasons to consult your physician about a screening.

For information on a minimally invasive “heartburn” procedure that may help you, please check out the link below.

http://www.abileneregional.com/abilene-regional-medical-center/services/abilene-regional-medical-cen... "

::

ECAA: Esophageal Cancer Awareness Association

The ECAA is dedicated to offering help and advice to patients, caregivers, survivors, family members; in short, to anyone affected by the disease.

http://www.ecaware.org/

Esophageal Cancer Action Network

http://www.ecan.org

Esophageal cancer list

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: 🔷April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month🔷

Esophageal cancer awareness ribbon

Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie - Thank you for posting this information - we have a dear friend that was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and has had many surgeries over the past couple of years. Not much works and when one thing gets fixed there are others that break down. I hope some day there is a cure for this horrible disease. On our trips North, we always try to stop and see him (depending on his mood/health), because you just never know. 

Another person we know was doing ok for a bit, but now is in rapidly failing health - he did get to walk his daughter down the aisle last summer. When his new wife was informed of his disease, she walked - his ex-wife has stepped up to the plate and is now caring for him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie

First, thank you putting this info up for others to be able to digest.

I have been preaching the Endoscopy/Colonoscopy sermons for a few decades now, not only on forums, but also in my real life also. My brother-in-law died of complications of Esophageal Cancer, but lived another 18 years after his diagnosis and surgeries, thanks to his doctor and Oncologist.

He was the reason I got my 1st Endo. I've told here how that turned out here many times, and I had it done even though I didn't have a single symptom listed in the info. Know way I expected the results that came back with that 1st Endo.

This disease and Colon Cancer are 2 of the most preventable types of Cancer. I've heard reasons(excuses in my book) from so many people, some of whom died from 1 or the other of theses 2 types of Cancer.

Both of the preventable procedures are among the easiest and painless of the many that I have had over the years, I just don't get why so many are willing to "roll the dice"  and hope for the best.

I am not getting into a debate over what a person chooses to eat in this particular thread. I will leave that up to each person that reads this and their doctors.

Great of you to post this and make people aware.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing this information and excellent links, @newziesuzie.   Thank you for sharing your stories, @riley1 and @hckynut.   I think of @mistriTsquirrel, and her father, in reading this.  I hope threads like this one can benefit others and, possibly, even save lives.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I ordered these (free) from ECAN to spread the word at work.

http://action.ecan.org/reachout

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@newziesuzie - Thank you for posting this information - we have a dear friend that was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and has had many surgeries over the past couple of years. Not much works and when one thing gets fixed there are others that break down. I hope some day there is a cure for this horrible disease. On our trips North, we always try to stop and see him (depending on his mood/health), because you just never know. 

Another person we know was doing ok for a bit, but now is in rapidly failing health - he did get to walk his daughter down the aisle last summer. When his new wife was informed of his disease, she walked - his ex-wife has stepped up to the plate and is now caring for him.

@riley1

I'm so sorry about your friends.❤️

Thank you for your post.

We need to get the word out there

about prevention and education.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@newziesuzie

First, thank you putting this info up for others to be able to digest.

I have been preaching the Endoscopy/Colonoscopy sermons for a few decades now, not only on forums, but also in my real life also. My brother-in-law died of complications of Esophageal Cancer, but lived another 18 years after his diagnosis and surgeries, thanks to his doctor and Oncologist.

He was the reason I got my 1st Endo. I've told here how that turned out here many times, and I had it done even though I didn't have a single symptom listed in the info. Know way I expected the results that came back with that 1st Endo.

This disease and Colon Cancer are 2 of the most preventable types of Cancer. I've heard reasons(excuses in my book) from so many people, some of whom died from 1 or the other of theses 2 types of Cancer.

Both of the preventable procedures are among the easiest and painless of the many that I have had over the years, I just don't get why so many are willing to "roll the dice"  and hope for the best.

I am not getting into a debate over what a person chooses to eat in this particular thread. I will leave that up to each person that reads this and their doctors.

Great of you to post this and make people aware.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

I'm sorry about your brother in law.❤️

Thank you for posting, you always

share such helpful info and I appreciate

it.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo @lolakimono

Thank you for helping spreading this

important information.

❤️

Respected Contributor

My brother-in-law passed away from esophageal CA three years ago at the age of 60.  He was a heavy smoker and an alcoholic.  He was brought to the E.R. because he could not swallow.  When was visited him in the hospital 2 days after he was admitted, he was heavily sedated.  The nurse asked us if he had a problem with alcohol.  Of course, we told the truth.  She told us he was in the DT's and they had to keep him sedated.

We also found out that the tumor was pressing on the carotid artery so surgery was NOT an option.  However, he did have chemo, radiation and a feeding tube put it.  He had to have all his teeth pulled because of the fillings in his mouth (in order for the radiation to his neck area). 

From diagnosis to death was about 8 months.

Not a good way to pass away.