Regular Contributor

Re: April is ESOPHAGEAL cancer awareness month

I lost both my father at age 56 and my uncle to this disease Brothers

Regular Contributor

wanted at add both suffered from heartburn and I guess thought nothing of it. when I was little I still remember my dad always carrying rolaids

Trusted Contributor

I just want to say that I am sorry for all here -that have or had family/friends afflicted with this.

My dh's father passed from this disease and his brother was just diagnosed with it last week.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Dh has had an endoscopy. He had internal bleeding so bad , he passed out , but it was an ulcer. I was so terrified they'd find cancer.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

My heart goes out to all of you. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 twocent said:

My dh's father passed from this disease and his brother was just diagnosed with it last week.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Sorry to hear this, twocent.

May I ask how old your BIL is?

Trusted Contributor

On 5/19/2014 lolakimono said:

Thank you. He just celebrated his 62nd bd.

Honored Contributor

My dh's father passed from this disease and his brother was just diagnosed with it last week.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law to this disease. It for most is such a preventable disease it really makes me sad to read of so many dying from something that with having certain procedures done it could possibly have prevented it.

Told the story of my brother-in-law and his battle with Esophageal Cancer. At the urging of my sister, his wife, I had and Endoscopy done even though I had not a single symptom of anything. I came out with a list of 4 problems with the most serious being Barrett's Esophagus, which is a precursor to this type of cancer.

Had it not been for my sister I might have waited until I was older or had some symptoms before having undergone this Endo. I immediately started treatment and for the first year had an Endo every 3 months. The for 2 years I had them every 6 months. I now have them annually.

Everyone needs to pass on this info to everyone they know regardless if they are asymptomatic or have symptoms of a gastric problem.

I hope the best for this other family member that was diagnosed with this disease.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 5/20/2014 twocent said:

That's young. {#emotions_dlg.crying} The average age is 67. Do you know the stage yet?

Trusted Contributor

On 5/20/2014 hckynut said:

My dh's father passed from this disease and his brother was just diagnosed with it last week.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law to this disease. It for most is such a preventable disease it really makes me sad to read of so many dying from something that with having certain procedures done it could possibly have prevented it.

Told the story of my brother-in-law and his battle with Esophageal Cancer. At the urging of my sister, his wife, I had and Endoscopy done even though I had not a single symptom of anything. I came out with a list of 4 problems with the most serious being Barrett's Esophagus, which is a precursor to this type of cancer.

Had it not been for my sister I might have waited until I was older or had some symptoms before having undergone this Endo. I immediately started treatment and for the first year had an Endo every 3 months. The for 2 years I had them every 6 months. I now have them annually.

Everyone needs to pass on this info to everyone they know regardless if they are asymptomatic or have symptoms of a gastric problem.

I hope the best for this other family member that was diagnosed with this disease.

Thank you so much, John. You , as always are such an asset to these boards.

Dh's brother started having pain in his middle back , three years ago. Unfortunately , he was just given pain meds and it was left at that. He didn't have medical insurance at that time, so he didn't pursue the possible cause.

Fatal mistake - shortly thereafter, he began to have some choking when eating - but only on occasion. He ignored this, as "it was only a sometimes occurrence. " {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Recently he retired at 62 and obtained medical insurance and chose to again , visit the doctor for back pain. They thought it might be a kidney stone so ran some tests. They found some sign of cancer, but I am not sure what. (He is too torn up to explain, in detail. )

Upon further tests, nothing in the kidney, but they wanted to look at his colon. It was cleared, so they did an endoscopy and upon further testing found a tumor in his esophagus, and it has spread thru his lymph nodes. The affected area is from the base of the brain to his stomach. They said it was not in his heart, lungs, or kidneys , but he has had the cancer for approx. 3 years. They told him , had it only been caught sooner.........

So sad. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Trusted Contributor

On 5/20/2014 lolakimono said:
On 5/20/2014 twocent said:

That's young. {#emotions_dlg.crying} The average age is 67. Do you know the stage yet?

Yes, sadly stage four and in-operable. They will begin chemo in a few days. He was told from a span of a month -to four years, max.

Honored Contributor

Twocent-

That's terrible news. {#emotions_dlg.crying} 8-12 months is the "norm" for Stage IV, but my father went faster than that. His was in the place that connects the stomach to the esophagus, so it was also inoperable. He did both chemo and radiation, in the later stages.

He might consider a Vitamix, if he doesn't have one already, to make sure that he can get nutrients in liquid form as it becomes more difficult to swallow.

Also, if you have a family member with a compatible blood type, you might consider donating blood in his name in case he needs transfusions from the tumor bleeding.