Trusted Contributor

Apple Cider Vinegar for Health Benefits

[ Edited ]

I've used ACV in salad dressing recipes and other condiments, but I've heard about the benefits of drinking it with water.   I've also heard about how it can damage teeth enamel.

Do any of you take it this way and if so how do you prevent any oral issues.

Also, I heard you dilute it with honey or sugar too to tone down the taste.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar for Health Benefits

@Black Cat Back  Y son takes it with water to prevent gout.I don't know if he worries about his tooth enamel though.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I read that you shouldn't brush your teeth right after drinking it as it can brush the acid into your teeth.  

The article said drinking it with a straw can minimize getting it directly onto teeth.

Appreciate any shared experiences.

Respected Contributor

What Apple cider vinegar is alleged to do and what it actually does are two different things.  I have been taking two tablespoons in about 8 oz of water for awhile now. It has pre-biotic properties....and it has been proven to activate a particular protein kinase that seems to be a factor against insulin resistance which is why I started taking it.

Could it have inflammatory properties and help with uric acid metabolism??? Maybe-maybe not. Drinking water and lots of it is essential to managing some disease, such as gout and diabetes.

When my blood sugar is running high, it seems to be more effective than water: that horrible "starving" feeling abated, but if I use it for that, I also drink more water and get my large muscles moving, so you could say I feel better and my glucose decreases because of hydration and exercise.

No tooth enamel problems on last checkup.

Its cheap-try it. It has been shown to improve nutrient absorption.

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

What Apple cider vinegar is alleged to do and what it actually does are two different things.  I have been taking two tablespoons in about 8 oz of water for awhile now. It has pre-biotic properties....and it has been proven to activate a particular protein kinase that seems to be a factor against insulin resistance which is why I started taking it.

Could it have inflammatory properties and help with uric acid metabolism??? Maybe-maybe not. Drinking water and lots of it is essential to managing some disease, such as gout and diabetes.

When my blood sugar is running high, it seems to be more effective than water: that horrible "starving" feeling abated, but if I use it for that, I also drink more water and get my large muscles moving, so you could say I feel better and my glucose decreases because of hydration and exercise.

No tooth enamel problems on last checkup.

Its cheap-try it. It has been shown to improve nutrient absorption.

Poodlepet2

Thanks Poodlepet2.

I wanted to try it for energy and digestive properties.  I read that it helps energy levels.   

Do you add anything to the water to not make it so acidic to drink?

Honored Contributor

i have just started using it this month.

i take it in capsule form though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Many articles have been written about its health benefits.  I mix 1T in water with some fresh lemon juice and drink it in the morning.  Without being too graphic, let's just say it has digestive benefits (within 5 to 15 minutes after downing this concoction).😀

Respected Contributor

Hot Street, you can absolutely start off with a teaspoon in 8 oz of cold water: it's a little tart but don't add sweeteners of any kind.

More expensive Apple cider vinegar is not necessarily better: I have found different brands differ in flavor.  One I tried really made my water taste like tart apple juice: it was a great drink during the hot summer months.

Some people have complained it upsets their stomach but I suspect the strength is too high.

Would you believe I actually crave it at times?

This is, above all a food.  I would not expect immediate results-but with everything I'm doing on the diet front (I have labs drawn every three months, so I know I'm on the right course), I'm not giving it up. It's non-prescription and I double checked with my pharmacist to make sure it's compatible with my meds. That's their job, and I have found sometimes they alert me to things my doc didn't tell me, or when there is new information on a drug that's not in the literature.

Poodlepet2

Super Contributor

I tried it mixed with OJ and Honey like Dr. Oz advised and OMG my stomach hurt so bad, like it was burning my stomach.  Can't do it.

Respected Contributor

Lady, Apple cider vinegar is not the end all. Fermented foods are big these days and I like things like pickles and Kraus, they are not at the top of my list. For me, ACV is quick, easy and takes me no time, but if you can't do it, try a fermented food that you like.

Poodlepet2