Honored Contributor

Apple Cider Vinegar Caplets-Restricted Item At CVS

I stopped there today for a snack and magazine and had a coupon, so I got some apple cider vinegar caplets. CVS brand. I've been trying them but I have to substitute them for coffee, because they have caffeine in them. Sometimes I just mix the liquid acv with water and force it down..

So the cashier says well that's weird it's coming up as a restricted item so I just need your birthdate. Which I hate doing but I wasn't in the mood to argue the point. I said to her there must be some sort of new use for acv that I'm not aware of.

I think they just ask birthdates now because there was some controversy about asking for ID and maybe even copying them? I remember reading about that as related to cold and cough medications.

I'm off to Google what acv could have to do with something drug related. Anyone know? I bought CVS acv caplets about three weeks ago and they didn't come up as restricted then.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar Caplets-Restricted Item At CVS

Just read that they can help you pass a drug test for marijuana, to cleanse however much before with acv. I don't see why CVS would be getting involved with that. There must be something else. I might call CVS corporate about it tomorrow and ask them why they're doing this.

Trusted Contributor

That's odd.  I googled CVS apple cider vinegar caplets and you can order online with no restrictions.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

lol.......don't know why I'm responding cause forgive me (I'm old) but I just read and heard on tv news  that  restrictions are being put on many scrips and other health items.I don't remember why ,but it was just restrictions ,not because they were dangerous or addicts want them. I think ,but not sure it may be a money thing.Why i remember is because my GS meds were an that list and I wondered how my DD was gonna make out getting them . 

Honored Contributor

A couple of months ago I stopped at a Dollar General and bought a Bic Lighter.  I had to show them my ID??? huh!!!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

That's odd.  I just bought some from Amazon with no problem.  You can go into Whole Foods (and most other supermarkets) and buy Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 I was thinking about Amazon, so thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

I cannot find anything about acv w/caffeine as supplements on the FDA website regarding it's restriction of sales to minors.

Respected Contributor

I purchased a bottle last month at the local pharmacy and there were no restrictions but the pharmacist did ask if I were on diabetes medication specifically insulin.  He stated there have been reports of possible drug interactions when taken with diabetes medications. He just said to adjust the dose if needed. 

Honored Contributor

I called CVS corporate about it, told her I was just wondering why this happened. The district leader is supposed to call me back in 24-48 hours.