Honored Contributor

Anyone with trigeminal neuralgia?

If so, how did/do you treat it and if you have ever had either Cyberknife or Gammaknife, please tell me what you think/thought about it. Thank you in advance for any responses and considerations/answers you can give.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone with trigeminal neuralgia?

My husband did and was treated with micro vascular decompression. It was a total success, thankfully.
Contributor

Re: Anyone with trigeminal neuralgia?

I have had flair ups of this horrific condition. The most miserable electric-like sharp pains on one side of my jaw that cause pure desperation fearing the next jolt. The episodes I have had have always been during high stress times and they can last from days to months. I think an aggravating factor is during stress we tend to have tightness in our muscles, especially of the neck, face and even the scalp. This can cause teeth grinding during sleep to make it even worse. Quiet rest in a darkened room with warm moist compresses to the affected side of the face and lots of curcumin, a supplement of highly concentrated turmeric which is a very potent natural anti-inflammatory. So far, I have been able to avoid invasive or pharmacological interventions and have not had a flare up in several months. For me the key has been to engage in stress reducing activities, ie plenty of rest and 'me time', I have used a mouth guard at night during flare ups, and anti-inflammatory foods and supplementing with the curcumin.