Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience with post-menopausal removal of ovaries?

@NAES1 @Snowpuppy  The history includes an estrogen positve breast cancer; and now endometrial cancer.  No smoking.  My parents both had cancer, although much later in life. 

@GCR18 @Ms tyrion2 Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:

@NAES1 @Snowpuppy  The history includes an estrogen positve breast cancer; and now endometrial cancer.  No smoking.  My parents both had cancer, although much later in life. 

@GCR18 @Ms tyrion2 Thank you for sharing your experiences.

@MarieIG , one of my dearest friends was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was fifty-five and post-menopausal. She had extensive surgery to remove her uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and cervix. The cancer had metastasized to a lung. She had radiation and chemotherapy in addition to surgery. All of that was seven years ago. As far as I know she has not had any hormonal side effects. She feels good and looks good. When is your surgery scheduled? If it is okay I'll tell her about you and we'll send you hugs and prayers. 

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG - my sister had a hysterectomy last year, post menopausal, including the ovaries.

She didn't experience any hormonal issues.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@MarieIG  I can’t give any advice to you but I will send you good vibes and prayers. ❤️

Respected Contributor

I had a total hysterectomy 8 years ago due to pre cervical cancer from HPV. I had a 6" or 7" incision which isn't pretty, but what are you gonna do. I had been thru menopause at age 40 and was 59 when the procedure was done. I have never taken any HRT.I was in the hospital overnight and was off work for  6 weeks. I really had no pain, just very tired for awhile.I also have trouble with anesthesia making me feel ill. Anyhow, I wish you the best and everything will be okay.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining  The surgery is Tuesday morning.  Yes, it is ok to tell her.  I appreciate the hugs and prayers! Thank you.

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

I had a complete hysterectomy 3 years ago. Robotically with only 4 tiny incisions.

No side effects at all.  It is 3years  later and I am suddenly experiencing hot flashes.  Much worse than when I was in menopause.  Not so much night sweats but just bouts of profuse sweating.  Been to the doctor, no real answers.  Tested for thyroid but that came back fine.  Good luck you will be fine.

Honored Contributor

I had a full hysterectomy over 10 years ago from a fibroid cyst on an ovary.  We made it complete from the cancer aspect.  I've been on HRT since then.

Respected Contributor

@MarieIG , just checking in to see if you're feeling okay. I've been thinking about you and hoping your surgery Tuesday morning went well. If you're up to it and want to talk about it at all I think a lot of us would like to hear from you.

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

Hi All,

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy.

Has anyone had there ovaries removed post-menopause?  I am wondering if there are any hormonal side effects, or none since already post-menopausal.

I would appreciate anyone who went through this commenting.  Of course, I forgot to ask the surgeon; and am driving myself crazy considering all the possible side-effects and whether the surgery will be successful.  (The surgeon will attempt to perform the surgery laproscopically.)

I am trying to be brave, but feeling scared.

Thank you,

@MarieIG  I had a post menopausal hysterectomy about 5 yrs. ago, done via the DaVinci method.  Honestly, it was a breeze.  Menopause itself happens when there is a consistant and continuous decrease in estrogen and ovulation stops. That said, if you need your ovaries removed, you aren't going to miss them.