Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience with post-menopausal removal of ovaries?

@Silver Lining  Thank you. It is kind of you to ask. I came down with a UTI on the eve of the surgery, but the surgeon didn't seem too concerned.  Just said that they would do a culture the morning of the surgery, and administer antibotics as warranted.

The surgery was done and I am back home.  It was done robotically and took four hours (which I was told was longer than what was normal for this type of procedure).  The doctor told me this was because I had a large amount of adhesions and scar tissue. She told me I should not experience much by the way of hormonal issues due to my age.   I am waiting for a call-back to schedule my post-op appointment and will get the pathology results at that point.  The doctor told me to come in three weeks post-op, although the normal time is two weeks post op.  (I really hate to wait for the pathology results, and will probably check to see what shows up in the patient portal in about 10 days.)  I am trying to  keep a postitive outlook . . . 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience with post-menopausal removal of ovaries?

@MarieIG wrote:

@Silver Lining  Thank you. It is kind of you to ask. I came down with a UTI on the eve of the surgery, but the surgeon didn't seem too concerned.  Just said that they would do a culture the morning of the surgery, and administer antibotics as warranted.

The surgery was done and I am back home.  It was done robotically and took four hours (which I was told was longer than what was normal for this type of procedure).  The doctor told me this was because I had a large amount of adhesions and scar tissue. She told me I should not experience much by the way of hormonal issues due to my age.   I am waiting for a call-back to schedule my post-op appointment and will get the pathology results at that point.  The doctor told me to come in three weeks post-op, although the normal time is two weeks post op.  (I really hate to wait for the pathology results, and will probably check to see what shows up in the patient portal in about 10 days.)  I am trying to  keep a postitive outlook . . . 

@MarieIG , I'm so glad to hear that you got through that long, complicated surgery okay. You must be exhausted and uncomfortable.  I wonder why the doctor wants you to come back in three weeks rather than the normal  two weeks post op. Does it have anything to do with the estimated period of time it will take for the pathology results to come in and for the doctor to analyse them and prepare for a sit-down to discuss everything with you? Waiting is especially hard when you've had such extensive surgery and unsure of the outcome. I've had some of that and was glad to get back out there. I felt good and was anxious to return to work after three weeks instead of the usual six weeks recovery. That was not a smart thing to do! Pain and fear when I got home as in I sure hope I haven't messed up my insides! It taught me a lesson to do what the doctor said about giving things time to heal. My bff and I are praying for you and a good report. Take care. Keep us updated. (((hugs)))