Valued Contributor

Anyone with experience with kidney stones?

I just recently found out I have 2 kidney stones which explains the discomfort I have been having. Besides drinking a TON of water, are there other remedies? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience with kidney stones?

Yes, I have them too.  

I have calcium stones and was told to take a diuretic and potassium citrate pill. I didn't want to be on a diuretic and couldn't swallow that big pill. Maybe that would have helped.

I know citric acid breaks down the stones and you could drink lemon water. I started that but found  it to be irritating to my bladder.

A low salt, low sugar. low animal protein and low oxalate diet is recommended. I am working on that now. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dad had a very bad kidney stone problem.He was told to stay away from dairy, but lacked the self control. When he had an attack he couldn't stand up.The pain was so bad it landed him in the E R a few times.

When my mom was able to keep Dad away from dairy he did much better.

Drinking a lot of water helps dissolve the stones so they can pass easily.

Good luck. Hope you get some relief.

Super Contributor

THE MOST PAINFUL THING YOU CAN IMAGINE AS THEY TRY TO PASS!!  I hestitate to give medical advice but I will suggest you google  lemon juice and olive oil to pass kidney stones.  It is a harmless homeopathic method to aid in the passing.  Worked for me, my son, and my husband.  Worth looking into.  When in doubt go to the ER.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

How about seeing a urologist?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Diet plays a HUGE part w/ reducing/eliminating kidney stones.

Valued Contributor

I have had the kidney stone surgeries.

Trust me not fun.

The suggestion of drinking lemon water is a good one. Each morning I have hot water with lemon and a bit of manuka honey in it.

There is something called chanca piedra that is either in pill or tincture form that you can take it is supposed to help get rid of kidney and gallstones. 

Also pumpkin seeds are supposed to help. Another is taking Magnesium --but becare of what type and how much because you can land in the bathroom all day. Also vitamin B 6 is supposed to help as well.

But drinking water is best. 

Super Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

I just recently found out I have 2 kidney stones which explains the discomfort I have been having. Besides drinking a TON of water, are there other remedies? 

My husband used to have kidney stones frequently until he went to his urologist and he specifically told him to drink Crystal Light yellow or pink lemonade everyday (at least two glasses). He told him it has potassium citrate in it which helps to break down the kidney stones. My husband has been following this regimen for a couple of years now and it has cut down the number of kidney stones to a couple a year ( when he falls off the wagon and forgets to drink it). 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

What did the doctor who found the stones tell you?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mare54- I've unfortunately had them since I was 16, am now 71.  I've been to urologists, nephrologists and a stone clinic at our University.Hospital.

First of all, here is nothing that can dissolve a kidney stone.  Nothing.  It can be blasted apart by lithotrispy (had it twice) and even that doesn't always work as well as you would hope.

The are things that can prevent formation/growth and that is lemon juice and water every day.

Potassium is supposed to help and I do take Vit B6.  Crystal Light can be helpful also.  Stay away from food with lots of oxalates, tea is is especially bad.  Drink lots of water, but not too much as that can end up with an imbalance in your system.

Way back they said to stay away from any calcium and my nephrologist at the Stone Clinic told me they now know that made me form more stones, which I painfully did.

You should be under the care of a nephrologist if you have one in your area.

I haven't had any for several years now.  I wish you the best!