Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone wear a mask to the gym

@hckynut wrote:

@KCDiva 

Fortunately I have my own gym with everything I need. Haven't been to a gym since the mid '70's. 

Now if only I had my own ice rink! 🥅 🏒

hckynut 🏒

I've had mine too but I don't do it if it's at home. I don't take it seriously. I put it off til later. Now I know I need to get out of bed get dressed and go and get it over with. At home I won't do that. Not sure why. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Our gym requires us to wear a mask coming into the building, but I remove mine after I'm in the workout room.  I have only seen 1 or 2 people actually wearing a mask while working out.  I go early.  Today, there was all of 5 people including me at the beginning of my session.  It probably jumped up to about 20 mid session, but was back down to a handful when I left a few minutes before the end of my session.  I also mask up to leave.  I don't know that I would go if I had to wear a mask while working out.  I know I wouldn't go upstairs and run.  I wipe my equipment down when I'm done and even spray their blue stuff on the floor where i laid while stretching.  

@Icegoddess   Are you saying that your gym requires a mask to walk in the door and to walk out but not while you are in the gym exercising? That make no sense at all. While you are exercising and breathing hard is when you need the mask on. Otherwise unmasked individuals run the risk of spreading the virus. Are you doing this just to make the gym managers think you are wearing a mask while in the gym? if the gym managers approve of this practice that gym needs to be shut down. 

@50Mickey , when we enter the building we have to walk up to the desk with staff to swipe our membership card, so the mask is to protect them.  In the weight room, there is an "overseer" and he can see that nobody is wearing a mask. At the time of day that I go thare are so few people that it is easy to socially distance ourselves.  Also, I don't do a lot of heavy breathing except for the time I'm upstairs on the track running, and I'm usually the only person up there.  You can get a decent workout without breathing hard the whole time.  

I don't know what goes on in any of the classes since I don't do those, but I do know that one of the spin instructors works out in the weight room and she doesn't wear a mask, so it's not like anybody is hiding anything.  We all wipe down our equipment when we're done with their blue stuff.  Each session is 1 hour 45 minutes and after each of those sessions they close it down and do a 15 minute cleaning where they spray everything down whether it was used or not.

ETA:   I would much rather work out under these conditions than to work out at the other gym I pass on the way to my gym where the parking lot is always full.  I'd rather work out in a sparse environment without masks than a full gym where everyone wears them, and I have no idea whether they wear them or not.

Honored Contributor

@kimbobimbo wrote:

@SunnysMom wrote:

Just FYI. . .There is much coming to light re: the numbers on the virus.  Hospitals are being instructed to code people coming to ER as Covid.  THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT EVEN TESTED YET.  Scandal will imerge as to the money hospitals and insurance companies are making as result of the hyping of the numbers.  

I'd like to know where you get that information from - if anything the numbers are UNDER reported for political reasons.  Stop speading misinformation that will only cause people to stop wearing masks and social distancing, which is the ONLY way to stop the spread.

@kimbobimbo 

And I would like to know where you found your information that "the numbers are UNDER reported"!  Also, where it has been unequivocally proven that social distancing and wearing masks are the ONLY ways to stop the spread?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@KCDiva Always wear a mask. I live in Fl. where the spike is high for corvid. In my community we have a Clubhouse with a large gym. My Husband & I went daily before this tragic virus. Anyway, we converted a room into a gym & put up a barre for me to do ballet bare work. We have weights, treatmill, bikes etc. & it was well worth the investment. I just moved not long ago to fl. & the heat here is horrid! I do put on a video of a 3 miles walk daily.                                     There are many youtube videos for those who want an in home workout for arms, abs, legs etc. I do think that is the best option because I will be staying away from a gym for quite some time. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey, at my fitness center, we have to wear a mask as we enter, get temperature checked, swipe membership card and walk in general areas.  As we exercise, though, no mask is required.  Social distancing is adhered to.  We just opened on June 15th and as of yet, hardly anyone is attending so it's easy to not be too close to anyone.  In my group class there can only be 15 people and so far, the most we've had (one time) was 12.  We've averaged six.  We tell the receptionist which class we will attend and if it ever hits 15, that class will be closed to the 16th person.  As I said, that hasn't happened yet.  I think people are holding back on attending to see if things go well.

One of my reasons for joining a fitness center is for socializing.  That's gone.  Everybody says hello with a few pleasant words as they keep it moving.  So stopping to chat five or ten minutes between classes is not done anymore because that mask is a reminder of the possibility that even with mask and a normal temp, you might be talking to someone who might put you at risk.

The other thing I don't like is the necessity of wiping everything before you use it and after you finish.  I now bring my own weights.  They've also taken away those big industrial fans that I loved.  On high humidity days, the AC isn't enough.  I think I read something about the blowing air from fans is a spreader.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Contributor

Masks are required in our gym unless you are in the pool or using the fitness equipment. They did a great job of moving all the equipment around so the machines are more than 6' apart. They recently started outdoor and indoor fitness classes. The indoor classes have strict limitations on the number that can participate and again the equipment is spaced out. You also have to register for classes in advance, no more dropping in. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@KCDiva Always wear a mask. I live in Fl. where the spike is high for corvid. In my community we have a Clubhouse with a large gym. My Husband & I went daily before this tragic virus. Anyway, we converted a room into a gym & put up a barre for me to do ballet bare work. We have weights, treatmill, bikes etc. & it was well worth the investment. I just moved not long ago to fl. & the heat here is horrid! I do put on a video of a 3 miles walk daily.                                     There are many youtube videos for those who want an in home workout for arms, abs, legs etc. I do think that is the best option because I will be staying away from a gym for quite some time. 

I've decided that I am going to wear a mask when i go Saturday and try it out. I am getting more fearful lately. Not as confident as I was back in May when I started going again. Thank you.  

Honored Contributor

Our gyms aren't open.

Honored Contributor

My gym is a wellness center in the local hospital.  They haven't reopend yet and don't plan on doing so in the near future.

I can't imagine going to work out in a gym wearing a mask!!  How can you breathe?!!  If it were me I would just find a way to work out at home.

Respected Contributor

Gyms have been closed for many months.