Trusted Contributor

Anyone wear a mask to the gym

I don't wear a mask to the gym but I go early when there are only a couple people there. I live in a small town. Lately though the numbers are going up. I've been considering wearing a mask. Had anyone worn a gaiter mask to the gym? That's the only one I think no could maybe wear.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone wear a mask to the gym

When my gym was open for a month before they closed down for a second time I wore a mask in but could remove it for my Silver Sneakers class. Then we had to put in on again on the way out. The last week they were open if you used any of the weights or machines you were to wear a mask. If and when they open up again who knows what the rules will be. If they make us wear one while exercising, they can forget about me and I'm sure others returning. 

Super Contributor

Just FYI. . .There is much coming to light re: the numbers on the virus.  Hospitals are being instructed to code people coming to ER as Covid.  THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT EVEN TESTED YET.  Scandal will imerge as to the money hospitals and insurance companies are making as result of the hyping of the numbers.  

Honored Contributor

Our gym requires us to wear a mask coming into the building, but I remove mine after I'm in the workout room.  I have only seen 1 or 2 people actually wearing a mask while working out.  I go early.  Today, there was all of 5 people including me at the beginning of my session.  It probably jumped up to about 20 mid session, but was back down to a handful when I left a few minutes before the end of my session.  I also mask up to leave.  I don't know that I would go if I had to wear a mask while working out.  I know I wouldn't go upstairs and run.  I wipe my equipment down when I'm done and even spray their blue stuff on the floor where i laid while stretching.  

Honored Contributor

Our gyms haven't even reopened yet!

Respected Contributor

@SunnysMom wrote:

Just FYI. . .There is much coming to light re: the numbers on the virus.  Hospitals are being instructed to code people coming to ER as Covid.  THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT EVEN TESTED YET.  Scandal will imerge as to the money hospitals and insurance companies are making as result of the hyping of the numbers.  

@SunnysMom, As a retired nurse and retired nurse educator that has multiple fellow nurses out there working in various different states, I can state this is unequivocally NOT TRUE. At all.

And by the way, hospitals are not raking in the money from taking covid patients.  

Hospitals make the most money doing elective procedures and surgeries.  Period.  When they have to slow those numbers or stop them all together because of being overwhelmed with treating covid patients, they start losing the money they could be making.  Please do a fact check on this information.

They also have to increase the nurse/patient ratio to have more nurses for the really sick covid patients.  A med-surg floor that has post op patients, nurses can take far more patients per nurse than they can handle with covid patients.  So that raises the expense to the hospital. 

Add to that, the cost to the hospital exponentially increases in order to provide all the PPE for the doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, cleaning staff, dietary workers, transport aides, etc.   Believe me, they would all like to be back to normal and not having to wear all that gear, be mandated overtime in order to provide care to covid patients, and not have to worry about their safety or the safety of their families. 

It is ridiculous to even suggest that they are distorting numbers and just coding everyone that comes into the ER as a covid patient because they get more money.

We just lost a nurse at the hospital I worked at for years due to Covid.  She contracted covid from working with covid patients. It has totally hit the staff at this hospital since this nurse was an excellent nurse that worked there for some time. 

This type of FALSE information undermines the hard work these doctors and nurses are doing every single day.   In fact, I repeatedly hear from them that they are tired, discouraged, and frustrated.  Largely due to the fact of all this ridiculous information trying to undermine the severity of this disease and they are risking their lives every day for people infected with this virus that just refuse to face the facts of what is going on with the virus.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

I feel comfortable not wearing a mask because there care so few people there and we are distanced. It's just the 4th of July celebrations are bringing big numbers in for Covid. There were 2 big parties that caused restaurants to have to close. A lot of young people were at these big parties. The fitness center in another nearby town closed again. A lot more people go to that gym and it's less expensive so they get a lot of young people. I just began wondering about a mask. I walk outside and that's fine but it's getting too hot. I only go on the weekends and early. I'm not sure wearing a mask while working out is for me. If they have to close down again I'm going to buy a treadmill or total gym. This isn't going to change any time soon.
Super Contributor

pitdakota. Thank you so much for writing this excellent response.  This virus and it’s impact are SCIENCE based.  My friends who have emergency room physician children verify everything that you have spelled out.  It has been incredibly frustrating to me that our community in So Cal has had to take steps backward just because some individuals chose not to follow basic health guidelines.  Please wear a mask.  It’s not that hard, and it buys freedom to go about some of the activities that you love.

I stop at stop signs, follow speed limits, wear shirt and shoes into a business when required.  

I wear a mask to protect you. Please return the kindness and do the same for me.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva   Of course you should wear a mask.  Are there any restrictions at the gym?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

pitdakota. Thank you so much for writing this excellent response.  This virus and it’s impact are SCIENCE based.  My friends who have emergency room physician children verify everything that you have spelled out.  It has been incredibly frustrating to me that our community in So Cal has had to take steps backward just because some individuals chose not to follow basic health guidelines.  Please wear a mask.  It’s not that hard, and it buys freedom to go about some of the activities that you love.

I stop at stop signs, follow speed limits, wear shirt and shoes into a business when required.  

I wear a mask to protect you. Please return the kindness and do the same for me.

Thank you @Twoaces.   I just happened to speak with a former student of mine that is working ICU in Miami.  She called last night.  She had 2 days off for the first time after working 7 days straight.  

She was in tears, not knowing how much longer she could do on with things.  They have a 27 year old on a ventilator that is fighting for his life and a wife that is in shock because she just can't believe her husband is such shape due to this virus.  They went to a swim party where someone else ended up testing positive.  

As she said, what about this don't people get?  And why is it that when they are in the hospital knowing they are in really bad trouble that the light bulb starts to go off?  

I bet you are very frustrated with the situation in your area.  I am frustrated right along with you.  After all, this isn't rocket science as to how we have so many areas in states on fire.  We know how this happened.  Thank you for doing your part.  Let's just hope that more people start to really think about their actions and start making smarter decisions.  Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *