Esteemed Contributor

Anyone using OTC Voltaren gel for their arthritis?

I see commercials for it, but everywhere I look, they are out of it.....(except Amazon)

Does it work? I heard you can't take Advil while you are using it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone using OTC Voltaren gel for their arthritis?

@Nataliesgramma 

Been drinking 16 oz of celery juice before eating every morning and very rarely feel any arthritis.  Also try to use my stationary bike at least 3x a week. Both of these things appear to reduce inflammation tremendously.

Honored Contributor

I used this when you had to get a prescription.  It seemed to really help with an ankle problem.  Don't know if the OTC is the same strength.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

I have the prescription one.  WHen I had a knee problem, I used it every day and think it was very helpful.

Honored Contributor

Yes. We buy it at Sam's and have used it for years.

We alternate with Biofreeze.

A big win for arthritis esp the knees.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, before my knee replacement, my doctor prescribed it. It didn't help at all. Then I found it over-the-counter in France and brought back a few tubes since it cost less than the equivalent of $5 American. I kept trying it to no avail. Isn't there something about the definition of insanity to describe what I did?

Esteemed Contributor

My husband used it when it was prescription. It worked for a while but quit. I see it everywhere. Walgreens, Target, grocery store. No shortage here. 

Regular Contributor

I have tried both strengths and never found it did anything.  Have never heard anything about Advil.  For me a waste of money.

Trusted Contributor

Doesn't work much at all for my knees, and it's very expensive since must be applied 4 times a day. I get more relief from Aleve, but most days I do nothing. I have no pain when walking, just very stiff knees when sitting for long periods. One knee is completely bone on bone and other knee is getting there fast, so I'm lucky to not be in more pain. Not interested in knee replacement at this time. I do get injections in knees every so often before taking a trip, but helps just somewhat. At least the injections are covered by Medicare, so I've nothing to lose by getting them. 

Trusted Contributor

Great stuff.