Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone used an electrical device for removing plaque?

@ Montana wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

No I don't. I do have an electric toothbrush which does work so much better then a regular toothbrush.

I also have a dental scaling tool I use to clean my own teeth.

I use those GUM Proxabrush or Interdental brushes between my teeth every time I eat something.

I just had my teeth cleaned yesterday. I have not had it done in over 5 years. LOL!!! No cavities. The Hygenist & Dentist both said I keep my teeth really clean. I was in & out of there in 30 mins.

If you have a problem with plaque buildup you could try swishing forcefully for 10-15 mins several times per day with Sovereign Silver to remove plaque from the teeth. I have started doing this at least twice a day.

I have even read it will help with tooth decay or root canal. While I don't know if I believe that or not I do think it helps with the plaque.

@Nightowlz 

Which Sovereign Silver product do you use? Amazon has several brands.

@ Montana 

I use this one. I buy the large 32 oz bottle since the price gets better the larger size you buy. I pour it in the smaller bottle with dropper to use.

I use this for all kinds of stuff.

Sovereign SilverBio-Active Silver Hydrosol - Family Size

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone used an electrical device for removing plaque?

@ Montana wrote:

During my scheduled cleaning today (12/3) I asked the hygienist about the safety of electrical plaque/calculus removal devices. I showed her this Amazon model (B07HMZ4LC5).

The verdict: not recommended for home use because calculus removal requires professional training and skills.  The hygienist said plaque removal is done with regular brushing.

ETA: Added item information

Your hygienist is right.

Just to clarify for everyone plaque is the soft film that constantly develops on teeth from food and the normal bacteria in the mouth. Plaque is removed simply by good brushing and flossing.  When layers of plaque harden because they haven't been removed by brushing or flossing the hard whitish substance you can see is called tartar or calculus.  Tartar cannot be removed by brushing or flossing. It has to be removed with instruments which requires special training leading to licensure in dental hygiene.

If someone without this rigorous training attempts to remove tartar with a metal instrument they can very easily damage their gums and even cause infection.  Also if they neglect to remove all the  tartar and some grains remain this can cause additional gum problems.  Best to leave the professional cleaning to the pros.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.