Respected Contributor

Anyone used Biotin to help chipping nails w/ success?

Many of my nails keep chiping or spliting and it's driving me crazy.Has anyone used Biotin to strengthen nails with success? Thank you!

Contributor

Re: Anyone used Biotin to help chipping nails w/ success?

Hi there!  Yes I swear by Biotin. Have used for years, but it works slowly and requires patience.  I recommend Nature’s Bounty Biotin 10,000 mg soft gel once a day.  I also recommend Duri Rejuvacote 1 Nail Growth System.   Both can be purchased at retailers such as Target, Amazon, Walmart, etc.   Rejuvacote 1 is a clear polish that you apply 1 coat daily for 7 days; then remove and start again.  Keep up the regimen faithfully, and you will see results. Also use a good, emollient hand cream everyday and especially at night at bedtime and message well into hands and cuticles.  Always wear gloves for dishwashing and household chores.  I also recommend taking other vitamin supplements, I.e. Vitamin C, E, D, Calcium, or multivitamin, but you might want to check with your doctor first.  Good luck to you.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Biotin is great for my nails. Makes them strong; no chipping or splitting. I haven’t taken it in a while and my nails look pretty bad. I need to get back on it again.

ETA: Biotin never did anything for my hair; just my nails.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant   I took large dose of biotin every day for over a year, and it did absolutely nothing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been taking it for over 10 years.  It has definitely changed my nails - my whole life I had bad nails - always bending and breaking.  Since the biotin I have to cut them once a week or they're too long. They never break or chip anymore.   I started out just taking a biotin supplement but about a half dozen years ago I switched to Nature's Bounty Hair Skin & Nails.  It helped my eyelashes too. Did nothing for my hair though.  It does take time to see results.

Honored Contributor

I find if I stop using nail polish for a while, my nails vastly improve. No need to take additives, just don't use polish.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Taking biotin supplements never did help my nails.

What makes a difference is pampering your nails daily.  Skipping nail polish occasionally doesn't hurt.  Don't use your nails as tools.  Wear gloves when washing dishes.  File or.clip off any ragged nails or cuticles.  

Apply a nail cream or ointment multiple times during the day, always at night.  Finally, in cold weather always wear gloves outside.  It makes a big difference.

Honored Contributor

PCP recommended Biotin but my nails were always fine until we moved here with the hard water especially the calcium.  I wear gloves for all dish washing (I don't use my dishwasher) and any cleaning. 

I also keep a clear coat of polish on them to protect them from other water such as taking a shower.  I look for brands that are at least "5-free" of certain chemicals.

I also rub in organic argan oil from Trader Joe's once a week.

My DDIL had a manicure-they use some type of organic powder that is mixed and applied to the nails.  She said the salon doesn't have that chemical smell and her nails are growing great and the colors are pretty.  I'll have to get more info from her.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I use Perfect Formula on my nails and that has made my nails healthy.

Honored Contributor

I took biotin (10,000mcg) daily for years and years hoping to see improvement with my hair and nails. But all it did was make both brittle, especially my hair. Made it look dry and damaged. Stopped taking it altogether. Now I take a bamboo silica supplement and my nails and hair are in very good shape. My hair is like silk.