Esteemed Contributor

Anyone use accupuncture for anxiety/mild depression?

I've had accupuncture for wrist pain, but considering asking a new practioner about using it for anxiety.

Not sure if what I'm feeling is because I no longer take hormones or what is going on.

Wondering if anyone has found relief through accupuncture.

I've taken Wellbutrin without side affects, but would rather stay away from meds.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use accupuncture for anxiety/mild depression?

@Witchy Woman, at least you know that if it didn't end up helping, it wouldn't hurt you.

When I googled "acupuncture for anxiety", the results that appear are a mixture of encouragement to attend this or that New Age/Eastern/alternative medicine type of website/clinic, i.e. those with a vested interest in saying it works. There was nothing that popped out about it  from a Western medicine POV, positive or negative.

Acupuncture is useful for many things. I've had it for carpal tunnel/tennis elbow type injuries over the years and it helped me for sure - more or less depending on the skill of the acupuncturist.

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it; I suspect your acupuncturist would say it will help but you'll only find out after treatment - apparently 3-4 treatments before people start feeling less anxiety.

Some sort of meditation practice is also often recommended for anxiety and depression, with good results.

I'm with you in that I didn't like taking anti-depressants for anxiety, and basically wouldn't. They didn't help. So many doctors today hand out anti-depressants to people who are anxious, not depressed. They are not necessarily the same, no matter what Big Pharma encourages them to use medication for.

Good luck!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of meds, either. You recently stopped HRT or something similar?

If progesterone was part of your HRT, my compounding pharmacist says that it has a calming effect & will take the edge off emotions in meno/peri menopause.

I get decent relief with high dose Omega 3's. I buy AL's.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

I agree that it won't hurt to try!

I had yet to do a search on it, but that was my next stop.  I do meditate, but not nearly enough.  I'm sure it would help, but I guess I'm looking for a quick fix.

I didn't MIND taking the Wellbutrin, but was never sure the dosage I was taking really helped me.  Now, I simply want to limit the meds I take since I am on a low dosage med for hypothyroid.  Would rather find a better solution to endless worry and being stressed and anxious so often.

@Snowpuppy

Yes, compounded progesterone was in the mix among other things including an estrogen patch.  I had been doing bioidentical hormones for years, but a uterine tumor was found when I had a hysterectomy last summer.   

Thankfully, tumor had not spread to lymph nodes or elsewhere, but GYN said I could never take hormones again.

Obviously that caused other unhappy issues, but I do not want to risk cancer.

I'm a pretty happy/positive person, but I have found, as I've aged, it has become harder to stay that way!

Meant to say that I take AL Omega 3, but might need to up my dosage.  Just one pill a day right now.

Honored Contributor

Well, @Witchy Woman, my answer was to retire - 90% of stress & anxiety gone 😎 but I know everyone can't do that ;-(

I hear you about the Wellbutrin. Had been given Zoloft for situational depression a couple of times and hated the side effects so much I felt like I'd rather be depressed than take it, so just stopped. When I took the Wellbutrin, minimal to no side effects, but I didn't feel better either :-(

Besides meditation, they say Tai Chi is helpful. I'd like to try a class.

I imagine it's hard when it's probably a hormonal thing in part but you can't take hormones. I suppose natural, i.e. naturally-occurring hormones like soy are out too?

I know you don't want to take pills, but you might ask your doctor about Ativan or similar. Better than feeling anxious all the time and is used situationally.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I take 2-4 of the Maximum Omega 3's.

Be careful about using flaxseed as an Omega 3 if you have hormone issues. In some women and I am one, flaxseed can hit your estrogen receptors. 

Not a good reaction. Within 3 days I felt like I had raging PMS. Stopped the flaxseed & the PMS disappeared.

You'd be stunned at how many md's prescribe anti depressants for a normal transition in life like menopause.

Honored Contributor

I will continue with the meds I have taken for many years. They have been one of the effective parts of helping me keep my clinical Anxiety/Panic attacks and depression at bay. For me regular doctor visits/meds and mental imagery have worked well.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut

It very well may be that I will end up taking some medication, but hoping I can find another solution since I don't think my symptoms are severe enough to warrant meds.

Having said that, I know that taking medications aren't an option for many.  Right now, I feel I might be able to overcome whatever is going on some other way.  If it reaches the point where I cannot, I'm happy to have an alternative.

It's great that you found what works.  I think the important thing is to not give up looking.

Esteemed Contributor

@WitchyWoman

Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked?  When I mentioned to my PA years ago that I felt "flat"...not sad, not really happy, she checked my thyroid levels and found that I have hypothyroidism, actually, Hashimotos.  She put me on Armour thyroid. This was the same practitioner that put me on bhrt. I no longer use the hormones.  I also take 5htp 200 mgs. daily.  This has helped alot.  I always look for the natural way first before taking the med "stuff".  St. Johnswort may be something you might want to try.  There are many herbs that are geared for anxiety/depression.  Passion flower, valerian root, kava kava, to name a few. It is worth looking into.  There are some good blends out there, too.

Hope you find something natural that works.  That way, you are in control.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs

Yes, I have it checked annually and just finished the blood test awaiting consult with the doctor.  Possibly something is off and my thyroid medication needs changing.

More than anything, I think it is the discontinuation of the hormones and well....just aging and life. 

I try not to dwell on bad things, but it is hard to quiet my mind sometimes.  Endless worry about....everything...and feeling anxious when I am out and about. 

Maybe it is something as simple as changing or upping my thyroid meds.  I didn't think of that.

Still going to pursue accupuncture though.