Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone use accupuncture for anxiety/mild depression?

@tends2dogs wrote:

@WitchyWoman

Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked?  When I mentioned to my PA years ago that I felt "flat"...not sad, not really happy, she checked my thyroid levels and found that I have hypothyroidism, actually, Hashimotos.  She put me on Armour thyroid. This was the same practitioner that put me on bhrt. I no longer use the hormones.  I also take 5htp 200 mgs. daily.  This has helped alot.  I always look for the natural way first before taking the med "stuff".  St. Johnswort may be something you might want to try.  There are many herbs that are geared for anxiety/depression.  Passion flower, valerian root, kava kava, to name a few. It is worth looking into.  There are some good blends out there, too.

Hope you find something natural that works.  That way, you are in control.

I just saw your other post about the vet and reminder for 5htp.  Guess my eyes just glazed over it beforeWoman LOL

Is there a particular brand you use?

As to the vet, I'm hopeful I can get all my kitties examined before summer is over.  As I've said, they are all aging and I know from their behavior, there are issues that need to be addressed.

This is one of the key reasons for my anxiety I think.  I have trouble "forgiving" myself for decisions that did not have a positive outcome.  It takes me forever to get over the loss of a pet (no children, so they ARE my children I guess).

Anyway, hope you are well -- I know you've had some of the same issues as me and, well, it's nice to have company along the way!

If you don't mind sharing the brand of 5htp, I'll look for that and give it a try.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@tends2dogs

Yes, I have it checked annually and just finished the blood test awaiting consult with the doctor.  Possibly something is off and my thyroid medication needs changing.

More than anything, I think it is the discontinuation of the hormones and well....just aging and life. 

I try not to dwell on bad things, but it is hard to quiet my mind sometimes.  Endless worry about....everything...and feeling anxious when I am out and about. 

Maybe it is something as simple as changing or upping my thyroid meds.  I didn't think of that.

Still going to pursue accupuncture though.

I'm all for acupuncture, but as soon as I read these words (bolded blue), I thought meditation.  That is exactly what meditation is all about -- quieting your mind of all the worrisome thoughts that plague you throughout the day.

I've been practicing transcendental meditation for years, but it's not necessary to pay for that technique.  There are other techniques that work on the same premise of, very simply, relaxing the body, repeating a word (mantra), letting your mind wander, bringing your attention back to your mantra.  Meditation can be preceded by deep breathing techniques or visual imagery.

I think this would be really helpful to you.

BTW, I'm all for "natural remedies" too, but please research thoroughly before you take anything orally.  There can also be side effects or interactions with other meds you may be taking, or contraindications with other conditions you may have.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina

I have meditated off and on, but not consistently.  I know I really should get back to it and make a serious attempt to be consistent since I am now retired and have plenty of time during the day to focus.

The child in me wants to hear, "do this and it will all be better." 

I know differently. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I take 2-4 of the Maximum Omega 3's.

Be careful about using flaxseed as an Omega 3 if you have hormone issues. In some women and I am one, flaxseed can hit your estrogen receptors. 

Not a good reaction. Within 3 days I felt like I had raging PMS. Stopped the flaxseed & the PMS disappeared.

You'd be stunned at how many md's prescribe anti depressants for a normal transition in life like menopause.

Actually many ladies are finding antidepressants to be very effective against hot flashes.