Respected Contributor

My dr prescribed for a nerve problem I am having  She gave me a sample pack of 20 (who does that anymore - she saved me some bucks!).  I feel loopy, feel like I could literallly fall asleep.  I have another prescription that is ready to be picked up, but decided I'm not driving anywhere feeling like this.  Don't think I'll need my melatonin tonite for sure. 

Contributor

My husband has taken Lyrica for years.  Maybe you have to take it for awhile.  I do not remember his side affects when he started taking it.  It does really help with his nerve pain.  

Honored Contributor

My father's doctor prescribed it for him for the neuropathy pain in his feet.  He became very confused and fell two times and couldn't get up.  He can usually get himself up if he falls.  He lives in an independent living facility, and they called the fire department to come and get him up, because they aren't allowed to do that and I wasn't able to help him.  The second time they took him to the hospital where he spent two nights while they ran a lot of tests.  They determined it was a reaction to his Lyrica, which is what I told them I thought it was when he was admitted.  It was the only thing different about the meds he was taking.  It was very scary.

On the other hand I took Lyrica for quite a while, and it didn't help me at all.  I didn't have side effects from it either though. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

It was prescribed to me for pain and pain-associated depression. It did nothing for me in either department.

Honored Contributor

Lyrica can have some horrible side effects for some people.  My DH was on it for neuropathy several years ago for a brief period.  He developed a horrible cellulitis infection in his knee.  He immediately made an appointment with his doctor, was taken off the medication, and it took a long time for the infection to clear up with a new strong antibiotic medication.  He will never take Lyrica again.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My sister tried it for peripheral neuropathy in her feet.  She didn't like how it made her feel, was concerned about the side effects, and it didn't help the PN at all so she quit.

Honored Contributor

I was prescribed Neurontin for a post-surgical neuropathy when it and Lyrica were brand new and pushing $100/bottle with insurance; no generics of course. I had immediate hands/feet swelling and was told to stop taking the Neurontin, and that people with that side effect never "get over it" with the drug.

I was then prescribed Lyrica (which since it's so similar would very likely have also caused the swelling) which I filled but never took a single pill from the bottle after reading in detail, on several websites, the experiences and side effects people had while taking it, and how difficult and scary it was to stop taking it/wean off the drug.

Please google "Lyrica brain zaps" and read. I could never have functioned at my demanding job taking that. 

The few days I tool the Neurontin it made me woozy and sleepy, but I was at home on surgical leave. I did feel a brain zap or two - very creepy!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

If anybody missed this, about two months ago it came out that Lyrica is no better than placebo for neuropathic pain.

***A note:  we tend to associate "neuropathy" with diabetic nerve pain, but "neuropathy" is a general term, and there can be many causes such as burns, trauma etc. Nobody said exactly what type of neuropathy it was, that Lyrica performed no better than placebo.....

I don't watch a whole lot of network tv, but I used to see dozens of commercials of it for the treatment of fibromyalgia: is the maker backing off on that claim?

I chose not to take it....and I have had nights where electrical shocks just coursed through my limbs-especially my feet....no let up.....burning....sleeplessness... I was skeptical.

If it helps you in whatever condition you have, then go for it. I never researched the news stating what type of neuropathy it helps/ doesn't help. It's something to think about.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Lyrica?

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

If anybody missed this, about two months ago it came out that Lyrica is no better than placebo for neuropathic pain.

***A note:  we tend to associate "neuropathy" with diabetic nerve pain, but "neuropathy" is a general term, and there can be many causes such as burns, trauma etc. Nobody said exactly what type of neuropathy it was, that Lyrica performed no better than placebo.....

I don't watch a whole lot of network tv, but I used to see dozens of commercials of it for the treatment of fibromyalgia: is the maker backing off on that claim?

I chose not to take it....and I have had nights where electrical shocks just coursed through my limbs-especially my feet....no let up.....burning....sleeplessness... I was skeptical.

If it helps you in whatever condition you have, then go for it. I never researched the news stating what type of neuropathy it helps/ doesn't help. It's something to think about.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2 I see Lyrica ads multiple times per night, every night, for Lyrica for diabetic neuropathy And fibromyalgia. No backing off on that.

"Nerve pain" of whatever originating source, has traditionally been something there's little to no treatment for. I think when it was discovered anecdotally that it helped some people, everyone (especially MDs) jumped on the bandwagon because it was something to offer and better than saying "there's nothing we can do."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

....well, that's my question: what neuropathic pain does it help for??? I never read the original article.....

Hugs 

Poodlepet2