Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Glucosamine Chrondroitin for joint pain??

@nomless wrote:

It didn't help me at all.  I took it for a copule of years hoping it would provide relief, but, alas, it didn't help even a little.

I tried this many years ago when it was the rage that it would cure all joint pain, well no it didn't and I quit taking it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I take Vitacost Glusocamine & Chondroitin every day, but not as much for pain, but more for strengthening.  The Vitacost version has the same kind that Lessman's has, the preferred Glucosamine Sulfate as opposed to the HCL, and comes in capsule form as well but is more reasonably priced   

@emmysmom - just wondering here if you regularly use aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet)?  A few years ago I was using it a lot to sweeten grapefruit or over berries, over cereal, in my coffee, in my iced tea.  I had many packets throughout the day.  At the same time, my knees were bothering me, especially going up and down our stairs.  I never made the connection until a friend shared with me that aspartame can cause joint pain.  I eliminated the aspartame and the knee pain went away.   Just something to think about.  

Hi Jean Louise! No, I only use stevia, but thanks for the info! I appreciate it! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@emmysmom I just wanted to let you know I found a massage cream that my local massage therapist uses. I can't ingest glucosamine capsules (made from shellfish).

Biotone Muscle & Joint Relief and contains glucosamine and a few other herbal preparations. It's been great for my knee pain (meniscus). I get about 7-8 hours of relief without the smell of BenGay (no menthol/camphor).

You can get it on Amazon but start with a small jar. Some reviews say it can turn rancid quickly. I've had mine for less than a month but so far it's been a wonderful find!

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I take Vitacost Glusocamine & Chondroitin every day, but not as much for pain, but more for strengthening.  The Vitacost version has the same kind that Lessman's has, the preferred Glucosamine Sulfate as opposed to the HCL, and comes in capsule form as well but is more reasonably priced   

@emmysmom - just wondering here if you regularly use aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet)?  A few years ago I was using it a lot to sweeten grapefruit or over berries, over cereal, in my coffee, in my iced tea.  I had many packets throughout the day.  At the same time, my knees were bothering me, especially going up and down our stairs.  I never made the connection until a friend shared with me that aspartame can cause joint pain.  I eliminated the aspartame and the knee pain went away.   Just something to think about.  

@JeanLouiseFinch , I used to use aspertame in diet soda when it first came out about 30 years ago. Within a few months I developed an unusual condition which I firmly believe was triggered by aspertame on an epigenetic level. Aspertame is basically formaldahyde. No one should be ingesting it. 

-- bebe 

Respected Contributor

I took it for 6 months without anything noticable. I was then chatting with a trainer at my local workout club and he told me to try Hyaluronic Acid. I did, starting with 400mg for a few days to build it up and then dropped to 200mg. I have to say I noticed a difference within 2 weeks and have been on it ever since. Supposedly it is good for lines and wrinkles too as it is called " nature's moisturizer"! There is nothing wrong with that either! It did help my joint pain more than any other supplement I have taken. I get mine on-line.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I have read that the studies on the effectiveness of gluco/chond are mixed.  In other words, they are not definitive as to the product's effectiveness.  It probably doesn't hurt to take it, but it is a bit costly.  And it's not easy to determine if it actually helping.

I took it for a few years, got tired of the expense, the inconclusive study results and gave it up. 

That said, my vet recommends it for the dog.  I give it to the dog.  Have no idea if it's worth the expense or not, but for the pup it's reasonable because he's little and doesn't take much.

Respected Contributor

I was looking at a "joint wellness" juice at Sam's and an elderly man and his wife said to buy the store brand glucosimin w/MSM instead. I started taking it and didn't think much about it until about six weeks later when I realized that my right wrist with carpal tunnel had stopped hurting. Also, I was getting out of my car after driving for a couple of hours and my back didn't feel stiff like it usually did in that situation. I ran out of the tablets once and after not taking any for a month or so, my hand and wrist started hurting ptetty badly and my back started bothering me again when traveling.