Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Glucosamine Chrondroitin for joint pain??

@june22 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

None of these answers sound very promising..not sure if I should keep this supplement or take it back...Thanks girls~

@emmysmom  Why not try it according to directions. Many people find it helps. It is worth at least trying for a month to see....it takes a while for it to work. Many people give up too soon.

This, absolutely. There are LOTS of things that some people find helpful and others do not. These supplements won't do any harm, so if you've already purchased it, why not try it?

I find that the fastest bang for the buck is the liquid versions, which work faster for me than the capsules. Now I take capsules because I've been jump-started by the liquid. They help ease stiffness, but they are not pain relievers.

And yes, many people quit too soon. I'd give it a month before deciding and, frankly, I often don't realize something was effective until I STOP taking it and notice that my symptoms returned or worsened after stopping. I often forget to take my allergy meds because I feel fine, then quickly remember that the only reason I felt fine was because the drugs were working so effectively.

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

I'm another one for whom glucosamine and chondroitin did absolutely nothing. I took it for close to a year for knee pain and got zero relief. I tried both pill and liquid form. Neither did anything. Finally asked an orthopedist who cited all the double blind clinical studies that have shown no measurable benefit. 

My knee pain is from jagged edges under there that scrape the insides and sometimes squish something under there so G&C doesn't help with my particular pain that comes and goes depending on what I do to it.  It helps keep my joints lubricated to ward off future damage from exercising.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I have been on Glucosamine chondroitin for more than six months.  Yes I find it helps me continue to move easier.Four months ago I joined a gym and started out slowly doing the circuit two to three days a week.  Slowly I upped my regime to include treadmill.   Now I go six days a week doing circuit three days for 45 minutes and on the alternate days I do 45 minutes on the treadmill.  It is working and I find if I up my protein every else falls in place.   Also helping with cholesterol and a1c numbers.  What motivates me is seeing my BIL.  He had a stroke a year ago and then recently pneumonia.  He is getting weaker and less able to care for himself.  My poor sister is worn out from the burden.  Two years ago I lost my best friend who was awaiting a take and doing nothing.  She succumbed to a pulmonary embolism.     

Seeing others drives me every day.

Hope you can try glucosamine chondroitin and see if it will work for you.

Hugs to little Emmy too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take Vitacost Glusocamine & Chondroitin every day, but not as much for pain, but more for strengthening.  The Vitacost version has the same kind that Lessman's has, the preferred Glucosamine Sulfate as opposed to the HCL, and comes in capsule form as well but is more reasonably priced   

@emmysmom - just wondering here if you regularly use aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet)?  A few years ago I was using it a lot to sweeten grapefruit or over berries, over cereal, in my coffee, in my iced tea.  I had many packets throughout the day.  At the same time, my knees were bothering me, especially going up and down our stairs.  I never made the connection until a friend shared with me that aspartame can cause joint pain.  I eliminated the aspartame and the knee pain went away.   Just something to think about.  

Honored Contributor

My DH and I take the Vegan formula, the shellfish formula can tend to raise cholesterol levels. My DH has felt more results than I have.

Honored Contributor

I've been taking Andrew Lessman's Glucosamine with Chondroitin for years with good results. Decreased inflammation and Heberdens nodules on my fingers and toes are almost gone. I have good range of motion and no creaking and crackling noises, but it didn't do a lot for the pain. I started taking Lessman's MSM 500 twice a day over a month ago and I just noticed I don't have that stinging pain in my fingers or the left knee pain any more. Fingers crossed that the supplement will continue to work.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I take Andrew Lessman's Maximum Joint Effort which is glucosamine and chrondroitin, MSM and curcumin.  I also take his ginger and turmeric for joints.

I took his plain glucosamine and chrondroitin and didn't feel like it did anything for me.  The above combo has been very helpful for me, but I don't have chronic pain or anything other than a knee that I aggravate from time to time.

I've also been taking Andrew's supplements for 7-8 years. 

Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate generally take 4-6 weeks before you start to feel the benefits. Andrew uses the sulfate form which has all of the research behind it. The less expensive HCL version doesn't have much research behind it... and the studies that exist generally show that the HCl version is NOT effective. -- Whichever brand you go with, also make sure that you get powder capsules as poopsed to rock hard tablets which do not dissolve well in your stomach and small intestines. 

For whatever reason, my body is very sentitive to supplements and they are very bioavailable in my system. I can sometimes feel results in as little as 10 minutes that might take someone else weeks to experience. 

I bought Andrew's Glucosamine/Sulfate because I have weak veins and capillaries, so I bruise very easily (it's genetic). These two products will help improve their elasticity over time (it took my body 5 months to see full results). I took one doge in the evening and the  very next morning my body felt 20 years younger... lol, and I hadn't even realized I had any aching. 

I also started taking his tumeric/ginger blend after my wrist surgery in March. It definately helped to alleviate my pain. 

Omega-3s are a great anti-inflammatory. While I generally for through Procaps, Nordic Naturals liquid Omega-3s (8oz bottle for $22) are the right type of Omega-3s (trygliceride form as opposed to alcohol esthers) and are the best value. 

I get my MSM in Andrew's Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails. Doctors Best sells loose powder MSM by the bottle. -- Note: MSM has a very short half life of about 4 hours, so you'll need to take several doses throughout the day. -- The half life of a supplement is the amount of time it takes for it to lose 50% of it's original potency.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I take Andrew Lessman's Maximum Joint Effort which is glucosamine and chrondroitin, MSM and curcumin.  I also take his ginger and turmeric for joints.

I took his plain glucosamine and chrondroitin and didn't feel like it did anything for me.  The above combo has been very helpful for me, but I don't have chronic pain or anything other than a knee that I aggravate from time to time.

Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate generally take 4-6 weeks before you start to feel the benefits. Andrew uses the sulfate form which has all of the research behind it. The less expensive HCL version doesn't have much research behind it... and the studies that exist generally show that the HCl version is NOT effective. -- Whichever brand you go with, also make sure that you get powder capsules as poopsed to rock hard tablets which do not dissolve well in your stomach and small intestines. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

This!

Honored Contributor

Lessmans contain shellfish, which we try to avoid, anyone know if there is a sulfate formula that is vegan??

Another alternative is to take plain Boweilla capsules.

Respected Contributor

I took it for the two months that I was told it should take to help but for some reason, I found no real relief. My endo told me it is contra-indicated in diabetics because it can raise blood glucose levels but I didn't find that it did. However, no real relief from arthritis.

Hope you find relief...