Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone use Glucosamine Chrondroitin for joint pain??

It's worthless.

Honored Contributor

My rheumotologist said it's absolutely useless .... but I'd never even try it ..... I've got a shellfish allergy and chondroitin is a shellfish derivative.

Trusted Contributor

The latest medical reports that were recently out state that it is not effective. Forget it.

But you can get chondroitin that is not derived from shellfish.

Esteemed Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

None of these answers sound very promising..not sure if I should keep this supplement or take it back...Thanks girls~

@emmysmom  Why not try it according to directions. Many people find it helps. It is worth at least trying for a month to see....it takes a while for it to work. Many people give up too soon.

Thanks June..I got it for my bf..but I'm sure I need it too..and I think you right, we might as well try it!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I know many who have gotten relief from taking it and many - like me- who get intestinal issues.  Some have said if you keep taking it it will stop though.  All that it works for say to get good quality stuff which costs more.  I have gotten great relief from taking a shot of noni juice daily.  It took over a month to kick in but now the pain in my hands is gone and the overall stiffness I had in the morning all over is nonexistant.  A 91 year old woman who is very active told me about this.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago, when I first started having knee pain, I started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin. I can't recall which ones I took, but tried several versions for a couple of years. They were all useless. Finally, I realized that with all the knee issues I have after a lifetime of heavy duty impact sports, I was not going to be helped by this stuff.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm another one for whom glucosamine and chondroitin did absolutely nothing. I took it for close to a year for knee pain and got zero relief. I tried both pill and liquid form. Neither did anything. Finally asked an orthopedist who cited all the double blind clinical studies that have shown no measurable benefit. 

Trusted Contributor

I have to say, a combinationo of Glucosamine and Chondroitin has significantly helped with my knee pain over the last couple of years.  Getting in and out of the car was extremely painful and I was trying to sleep with my knees on an extra pillow.  Getting down to look at the stores' bottom shelves was impossible (this is still impossible).  My elbows crack and snap.  All these things are from, I believe, years of much tennis playing.  Anyway, taking the Glucosamine, etc. has helped to the point that getting out of the car is not excrutiating and the extra pillow for sleeping is no longer necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I know many who have gotten relief from taking it and many - like me- who get intestinal issues.  Some have said if you keep taking it it will stop though.  All that it works for say to get good quality stuff which costs more.  I have gotten great relief from taking a shot of noni juice daily.  It took over a month to kick in but now the pain in my hands is gone and the overall stiffness I had in the morning all over is nonexistant.  A 91 year old woman who is very active told me about this.

Noni juice??? That  sounds easy enough..I'll go to Whole Foods tomorrow..thanks Pook! A 91 yo woman, thats fabulous!!!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom I use Cosamin DS brand glucosamine chondroitin and it works beautifully for me.  In fact, if I DON'T take it, I soon feel that telltale "creak" in my knee and pretty soon the knee gets weak and doesn't support me.  

I don't know what brands the studies were evaluating, but other brands don't do the same for me as Cosamin. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.