Super Contributor

Anyone use CBD oil for pain relief?

It's the legal component of cannibas (in all 50 states) containing little to no THC. Can be made from industrial hemp (grown for making rope,etc.) That's the simple definition--more complex than  that. I have been researching this for months now and would consider using it for my arthritis pain. My Dr. has me on opiods, which I use sparingly to keep from becoming dependent on them. I live in a none legal state for the other option. Please comment if you have any experience with the CBD oil and if it is effective for pain relief. TIA

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone use CBD oil for pain relief?

[ Edited ]

@COUNTRYGAL- I use a topical CBD cream (not the ingestible oil) for pain and to reduce inflammation and it's incredible. Simple as that! I live in CO, so we have legal retail and medical mj shops all over the place, which gives me lots of choices.  My doctor originally suggested I try the cream for my bad knee and wow ... no other OTC topical cream (like Bengay) has ever worked to keep me pain-free in this way.  And the pain is gone for days and weeks, not for an hour like Bengay-type creams.  

ETA: As I'm sure you know from your research, many people have been able to give up opiods entirely by using CBD treatments. In fact, a close friend who has an autoimmune disease has been able to stop all opiod use entirely after her doc prescribed two specific CBD treatments for her. It's changed her life. Another friend's mother has had debilitating arthritis in her hands for years. Since using CBD treatments, she's back to knitting and other needlecrafts for the first time in something like 10 years.  Pretty darn cool if ya ask me! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow! That would be great for me..knees, hands, neck...you get the picture. I'm my DH's caretaker and I have no time to just "take it easy". 

I haven't seen anything about the cream online. Is it only available in a legal state? I was considering a spray ( for the tongue) or drops (for under the tongue). I'll have to search more for the cream if it's available to ship to my state. Thanks for your help!

I see now that it's by Dr. only.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@COUNTRYGAL, I believe that any topical cream that contains zero THC (the psychoactive ingredient in mariuana) can be shipped across state lines. But creams that contain even a tiny amount of THC can't be shipped. My doc explained that the tiny amount of THC in topical creams is negliible - meaning it's such a tiny amount that it can't give anyone a "high" but the federal law still stops the sale over state lines. I've no doubt you can google to find zero-THC creams that can be shipped. But if not, let me know and I'll go by a local shop to find a brand and will send you the info on it.   

Super Contributor

Thanks, will do. Appreciate your help.

Valued Contributor

I didn't know there was such a thing.  I've been on opiods for years because of chronic pain.  Would someone tell me exactly where to look for this, please?  (I live in CT, if that makes a difference.)  TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Super Contributor

I don't know about your state, but I live next to a legal state ( Illinois) so I have learned alot about this just by reading our local newspaper. Then I began googling about it. It is quite interesting and complicated (the plant and the laws).I would suggest that you google to see the legal status of your state first of all. You can also check CBD oil online to find about legal options that can be shipped.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

spent2much wrote:

I didn't know there was such a thing.  I've been on opiods for years because of chronic pain.  Would someone tell me exactly where to look for this, please?  (I live in CT, if that makes a difference.)  TIA

@spent2much, CT is not one of the 7 or 8 states that have legalized marijuana to date, but I believe you can still get a medical mj prescription from a doctor there.  The good news, though, is that you don't need a prescription. You can have mailed to you CBD oils or creams that have no THC in them. In fact, a friend visiting from out of state bought such products here and had no trouble taking them home with her in her carry-on bag. Totally legal.  

There is a ton of medical research on the benefits of CBD for pain, inflammation, and a whole host of other conditions including skin conditions, PTSD, and on and on. Children's Hospital in Denver has an ongoing clinical trial for children with seizures and other disorders. Amazing results, thus far.  Google to find articles from authoritative sites, including NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc.  

In terms of finding the products we were talking about, go to lordjones.com and find this product, with no THC: Lord Jones Pain and Wellness Pure CBD Body Lotion - Unfragranced.  For the oil that you can put under your tongue or rub into skin for pain, etc., google for whole plant canabis oil. (This is different from oil just made from hemp. Clinical trials use the whole plant oils -- it's a different chemistry in our bodies.) Oodles of options there.  Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

Just a note of caution for those wanting to use CBD in oil or creams who live in a non-legal state.

Although theoretically, CBD is not supposed to be able to be detected in urine, it may be - even if there isn't, or isn't supposed to be, any THC in what you're using. So, if you were stopped for a motor vehicle violation and if they wanted to test you, or if they searched your car and found any, you'd be breaking the law, medical use or not.

And no, if you live in a non-legal state, your doctor cannot write you a Rx for it and you're "legal." If it's illegal in your state, it's all illegal.

I live in CA, which has been legal for medicinal MJ and will soon be recreational legal as well in 2018.

I plan to be getting a Rx for between now & 2018, for arthritis and muscle pain which also causes sleep issues. 

I could explain more, but I'm afraid it would be considered "how to" and since it's not legal more places than it is, I'll stop here.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@aspengrove THANK YOU SO MUCH for this information.  I really appreciate the time you took to help.  I'll be looking into your suggestions today!  Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!