Respected Contributor

Anyone try clonazepam and not be able to take it ?

My first night it helped with my muscle twitching and i got good sleep , the next night i had anxiety and felt very shaky and shortness of breath and difficulty swallowing. I know not all medicines are for everyone , but i was so hopeful. I can't believe an anti anxiety medicine cause annxiety more than without it , go figure. I know some people have sucess with Zoloft. Any experiences from anyone ?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone try clonazepam and not be able to take it ?

@MW in Iowa  I was on Clonazepam for 20 years then thought it wasn't doing any good for me so my Dr. weaned me off of it.  A week later I had so much anxiety that I went back on it. A few years ago I decided to go off it again because I read that it can be bad for older adults to take. I have never had any anxiety since I've been off it for a few years now.  I can't remember my experience when I first started taking it but I assume it was fine.

Respected Contributor

Thanks , i just don't do well on meds .i know you have to give them a chance , but having out and out anxiety is a red flag for me to think twice before getting too far in , because you can't just quit anytime which is dangerous. I have a friend of a family that has taken it for years , and now only takes half a dose at night and does well on it.

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

My first night it helped with my muscle twitching and i got good sleep , the next night i had anxiety and felt very shaky and shortness of breath and difficulty swallowing. I know not all medicines are for everyone , but i was so hopeful. I can't believe an anti anxiety medicine cause annxiety more than without it , go figure. I know some people have sucess with Zoloft. Any experiences from anyone ?

Benzos are notorious for causing side effects, especially if you try to withdraw from them after being on them for awhile. There are forums and websites devoted to the issues that arise with this drug. You might want to do a search.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much , i do have a very good pharmacist to talk to , I always like to hear real peoples views. I have a doctors appt tomorrow, doctors can tend to prescribe  medicines and you are on your own to experience what ever side effects there might be.  and i understand they can't know how one patient is going to react to every medicine. I agree i think pharmacists know the most compared to most doctors.

Contributor

i recently weened off it. im on muscle relaxers they work well.

Trusted Contributor

I have been taking it for 30 years for debilitating anxiety and depression. I also take celexa. 

Respected Contributor

It must be one of the safer drugs to be around for 30 years. Drugs come and go when they realize they aren't safe and then some people are left with horrible side effects. Thanks again for the insight , my doctor wasn't very knowlegeble  today , or didn't want to take the time ,but i will talk to my pharmacist when she is there .