Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone that can help answering so many questions. Thank you

[ Edited ]

As his dialysis progresses and they get significant fluid off him his BP will come down.I don't know why they won't let your daughter be there during his treatments. We always allowed family because they distract the patient and keep them from being so anxious. It sounds like your SIL is appropriately anxious, and his renal doctor could give him a little something to calm him thru the treatments - nothing much - perhaps benedryl, which he would sleep thru the treatment then as the drug dialysises out he would wake up but the treatment would be almost over. When I worked in dialysis our doctor's drug of choice for anxiety was benedryl. Sounds like both your daughter and her husband are WAY OVER STRESSED. It also sounds like the renal doctor is not very understanding. All this goes so much better when the patient's and their family's stress is dealt with by the nurses & doctors.

Honored Contributor

biopsy’s is tomorrow at 930am, the doctor decided had a huge pow wow, from what i understand, many of them, decided it was now or never.  The doctors told my DD total time for surgery would be about 4 hours. That is all she told me via phone.

dd got her hubby outside in a wheel chair he had much fun just being out of the room and in the open air.

that is all for tonight.

Honored Contributor

one reason DD may not be there for hubby treatments are they are very early in morn.  She has to get the 3 kids off to school, the 1st she can leave for hospital is about 830-845am.

Honored Contributor

UPDATE

my DSIL had his biopsys today . Surg was delayed by several hours (the surgery rooms were booked up), had to wait for opening.

results are due Mon-Wed next week.

DSIL is required to do treatments 3x's a week  ,, 3hours each treatment.

He is to get them at hospital no other place.

DD said looks like he will be released tomorrow sometime.

the whole slew of doctors want him at hospital for treaments right now to keep eye on him.

he is allowed to drive and can drive him to hospital.

DSIL parents live 10 minutes from hospital so if he has problems he can call them for driving for emergency and such.

i guess he is going to go back to work. his job is done at a desk, IT guy type stuff.  DD said next week he will begin back to work.

DD did not talk to doctors today after procedure. only nurse was able to talk. DD said it was a line of people pushing in and out of surgery.

this is the latest.

Regular Contributor

I'm sorry I have no answers for you ~ but I am sending prayers to your entire family.    

Honored Contributor

Just some advice (suggestions). He is going to find that dialysis is very tiring. If he intends to try to work while on dialysis , he should try to either get his treatments somewhere where they do treatments overnight while you sleep thru most of it, or try getting a time in the evening if possible so he can go straight home and go to bed. By morning he would feel much better.

It is going to be difficult for him to have to go back to work after a treatment because it really does tire the patient out , esp. in the beginning.

Eventually he can decide between hemodialysis - what he's getting now - and peritoneal dialysis , which is a daily routine he would do at home - mostly at night while he sleeps.They will explain all this to him when it's appropriate. 

Honored Contributor

from what my dd has told me, they pushing the doctors to do that night stuff thingy you mentioned. sorry can't remember names. 

if and when they will allow that is another story. it may depend on what biopsy says.

just another step in the path.

thanks for keeping me up to date on the world of dialysis.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The overnight dialysis is a great solution for working people. So is doing the peritoneal overnight at home - but that would be for later I expect. I'm sure right now they want to get him stabilized on hemodialysis.

I was a critical care nurse almost my whole career , but when my back could no longer do all the heavy lifting and being on my feet I started doing critical care dialysis. I would take my equipment and go to one of our many ICU depts. and do treatments on patients who were too critical to be taken out of ICU to the dialysis dept.I did that job for 5 years til I retired. While I probably know more about dialysis than your average staff nurse, I am far far far from being as knowledgeable as the nurses in the department who have spent entire careers doing dialysis.