Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone taking gelatin supplements for joint pain?

NOW UC-II® Joint Health

Honored Contributor

Gelatin is made from the bones of pigs or cattle.  I doubt it helps with joint pain. People wouldn't eat jello for joint pain.

I know from experience that Vitamin D3 100% helped with my joint pain.  I was scheduled for total replacement.  

I was in so much pain that I could no longer walk without holding on to furniture and balancing against the walls in my home or anywhere.

When I got my pre-surgical  tests, it was discovered that my Vitamin D levels were extremely low.  I was prescribed a prescription level of 50,000 IU's for 7 days, then 4000 IU's everyday.

After only taking this vitamin for two days, I felt really wonderful.  I almost cancelled my knee surgery....the pain was so much better.

This is the only drug I take. It has changed my life 100%.  I have no joint pain anywhere and my knee surgery went smooth with very little pain afterwards.

Have your doctor test your Vitamin D levels.  It appears the majority of people in the USA are deficient in this vitamin.  If you are, joint and bone pain is common.

Vitamin D works like a miracle for me.

Honored Contributor

I only posted the pix of the NOW UC ll as an example of the product, I actually take other brands, I have bought Vitacost band and Puritans Pride brands, less pricey than NOW when the others are having a good sale.  

Honored Contributor

I have taken Vit D for many years and my level is quite good, but I surely cant say it helps with knee pain, consider yourself lucky how much help it has given you. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 : I hurt all over. My issues are my lower back, hips  and knees. Had a few injections for the lower back but none for the knees. I had injections for my thumbs.I have taken collagen. Prescribed different medicated patch.I really try not to focus on my pain and just keep busy, moving and doing.But some days just difficult. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie : Happy for you and your results. I didn't  notice any difference with the vitamin D3. My recent blood work was good and no issues. I am on a low dose thyroid medication. No issue with sugar,no high blood pressure , no cholesterol. Just need to lose weight. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee    You and I share many of the same complaints.  I can no longer take any medication so it's doubly bad.  I've used Lidocaine patches but they're not very effective and don't stick well.  I had so many steroidal injections in back, knee, ankle, they told me to take more would be dangerous so that's out too.  They no longer worked, anyway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@sann wrote:

If the pain is in your knees ask your physician about Hyaluronic Acid  injections..... you won't need pain medications ...I get them every 6 months....I never require any pain medication 

Same as I just wrote about, not a miracle cure but does help somewhat and I will take all the help I can get, but I dont think it helps knees that are already bone on bone . You still have to have some of your own cartilage remaining.  I also take 125 mg daily of Hyaluronic Acid orally.  

I get the Synvisc One shot, only one shot is needed every 6 mos. 

@Shelbelle     Synvisc is a chemically modified form of Hyaluronic Acid....

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have taken Vit D for many years and my level is quite good, but I surely cant say it helps with knee pain, consider yourself lucky how much help it has given you. 

Well, I still needed my knee replaced and my knee still hurt, but the pain was so much less after I took the Vitamin  D.  I had pain in my whole leg, not just my knee because I was so deficient.

No vitamins or supplements are going repair any joints or cure osteoarthritis, but if your levels are too low, you are almost guaranteed to have joint and bone pain.

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@sann wrote:

If the pain is in your knees ask your physician about Hyaluronic Acid  injections..... you won't need pain medications ...I get them every 6 months....I never require any pain medication 

Same as I just wrote about, not a miracle cure but does help somewhat and I will take all the help I can get, but I dont think it helps knees that are already bone on bone . You still have to have some of your own cartilage remaining.  I also take 125 mg daily of Hyaluronic Acid orally.  

I get the Synvisc One shot, only one shot is needed every 6 mos. 

@Shelbelle     Synvisc is a chemically modified form of Hyaluronic Acid....

Yes, I know, this is the one my doc likes and the one that Medicare pays for and my supplement approves, so this is the one I get, if that changes that would be fine too, I just dont want to have to get more than one. It does hurt when that needle goes in.