Honored Contributor

Anyone taking gelatin supplements for joint pain?

I have never seen or heard anything about this. Friend insist that I try this to reduce my prescribed medications. I am on mobic 15 mg  for joint pain and it's the only one that I can take but that causes heart burn, but eating something before taking the mobic doesn't stop the heart burn. Also taking pantoprazole 40 mg for heart burn.

Just wondering if any one has tried this and it helps. I understand that everyone is different and what helps one person might not help anyone else. Appreciate any information. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone taking gelatin supplements for joint pain?

Mobic did nothing for my knee pain, so I stopped it after 6 weeks. I am now using several supplements. I doubt gelatin will do much to help you. I take Boswellia, UC Collagen, Ginger, MSM and Tart Cherry, Tumeric.  These are recommended by the Arthritis Foundation. 

I have not tried Voltaren which many swear by, can have lots of side effects. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle : Totally understand. Tart cherry juice, voltaren,tumeric, ginger didn't help me. I use a standup walker but trying to exercise, walk more and eat healthier.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Mobic did nothing for my knee pain, so I stopped it after 6 weeks. I am now using several supplements. I doubt gelatin will do much to help you. I take Boswellia, UC Collagen, Ginger, MSM and Tart Cherry, Tumeric.  These are recommended by the Arthritis Foundation. 

I have not tried Voltaren which many swear by, can have lots of side effects. 

@Shelbelle   Voltaren gives me great temporary relief, at least allows me to get moving some mornings but the effect doesn't last more than a couple of hours at most.

I've never had any side-effects from it and don't know anyone who has.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Voltaren comes with a list of side effects as long as your arm, need to be very careful with it, so I just avoid it, but I know many who swear by it. 

My only arthritic issues is my one knee, I am not a candidate for a replacement, not as of yet, my ortho doc said lose weight which I lost over 30 pouinds and I exercise daily. I also get Synvisc gel shots in there every 6 mos, Medicare will pay so I figure I have nothing to lose. We all have to try different solutions and do what works best for us.  I am without pain a good amount of the time, but not always. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee  It is highly unlikely gelatin would have any effect on arthritis. Mobic is in a class of drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.  NSAIDs.  They are dozens of drugs in this category so if one doesn't work, ask your doctor for another and keep trying until you hit the right one.

Years ago, when I first got arthritic symptoms, I tried many until I hit on one called Lodine.  It kept me going for years.  Eventually, all these drugs can effect kidney function so I eventually had to quit taking it.

Are you a possible candidate for knee replacement surgery?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If the pain is in your knees ask your physician about Hyaluronic Acid  injections..... you won't need pain medications ...I get them every 6 months....I never require any pain medication 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sann wrote:

If the pain is in your knees ask your physician about Hyaluronic Acid  injections..... you won't need pain medications ...I get them every 6 months....I never require any pain medication 

Same as I just wrote about, not a miracle cure but does help somewhat and I will take all the help I can get, but I dont think it helps knees that are already bone on bone . You still have to have some of your own cartilage remaining.  I also take 125 mg daily of Hyaluronic Acid orally.  

I get the Synvisc One shot, only one shot is needed every 6 mos. 

Trusted Contributor

Have you thought about taking a collegan? I have read gelatin is pretty much the same thing. I started taking collagen in my coffee for hair/skin and after about three weeks I noticed a big difference in my everyday aches and pains. They say it takes two-three months to see any positive effects but I noticed pretty quickly. 

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

Have you thought about taking a collegan? I have read gelatin is pretty much the same thing. I started taking collagen in my coffee for hair/skin and after about three weeks I noticed a big difference in my everyday aches and pains. They say it takes two-three months to see any positive effects but I noticed pretty quickly. 

For arthritis, UC Collagen ll is what is highlty recommended, one capsule daily. you can also take the other types, but this one is specific for joint pain.