Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone suffer with drain flies in their hme?

I'd be more concerned about insecticide bombs than the bugs themselves, especially if the homeowner is elderly and ill.

Esteemed Contributor

We experienced the drain flies a couple years back and someone told us to pour down some bleach down the drain....wait 5 mins...then run some hot water down the drain...........it took maybe 2X and it stopped the flies from coming......they also told us it was because of the drain being dry for so long (it was from the tub drain in the extra bathroom)  and they said to keep trying to use the drain and so far so good...

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

My friend called hysterical and said she saw a multitude of  small black insects come up from her bathroom sink drain. She said some flew out into the other rooms, others stayed close to the sink and many flew on the walls and floors.

She also said she felt them in her slippers and on her feet of which she wore no socks.

My heart crys for her and I am so glad she immediately called an exterminator and he is coming in 20 minutes. He said close the door and stay outside in front of your home. He is worried since she is elderly, ill and asmatic with lots of other medical problems.

I hope he bombs her home well since bombs seem to work thoroughly and best. Permethrin insecticide bombs is what I am referring to.

I know she will choose to trash her clothes amd a lot of other items, but save whatever can be treated and then washed and dried well.

I hope she returns to a more safer home and can recoup fast.Material items can be replaced but you cannot replace your health and mental health wel being.

Saying prayers for her and her family.....

We had them, for a very long time and had no idea what they were.  

Our house is built on a slab, the drain pipe for the bathtub had rotted out and the tub was draining under the house and into our heating ducts.  Once we fixed the problem they went away.

They were bad but no where near as bad as what the OP is describing.  I think the OP's friend is exaggerating. 

They eat soap skum.  She can try Clorox and a bottle brush to scrub the drain or vinegar and baking soda.  They also make a gel that will eat the crud that has built up in the drains.

Respected Contributor

I had a fruit fly infestation a while back and researched both fruit flies and drain flies, because I wasn't sure which I had.

They're both pretty easy to get rid of and keep away, so once I found out how to deal with my fruit flies, I just decided to do preventative stuff for drain flies, too. 

Pretty easy: https://www.countryliving.com/home-maintenance/cleaning/a29364962/how-to-get-rid-of-drain-flies/

Honored Contributor

I think it is nice to be sympathetic ,and prayers for a friend are a good thing.,but keep it in perspective. It is upsetting, but not a major catastrophe.

Respected Contributor

I couldn't figure out why "fruit flies" were coming from my bathroom sink drain!  Did some googling....poured bleach down the drain, let it sit for an hour, then followed with a pot of boiling water.

Haven't seen any since!

Honored Contributor

I use baking soda and bins get and the pour boiling water down the drain. Sometimes have to repeat.
Honored Contributor

That should say baking soda and vinegar. Can’t edit on iPhone!
Respected Contributor

yes, once in a while, baking soda and white vinegar, it works very well. I use a quarter cup of each and let it just bubble and  have ready a cup of very hot water and pour it down the drain.