Super Contributor

Anyone suffer from Lactose Intolerance

I am now take Digestive Advantage for Lactose and it seems to be working better than any other product I have tried.  So hard to find out what works and doesn't.  Gave up cheese etc. and miss all the foods I used to eat... Pizza and grilled cheese sandwich was an easy lunch - now I look at it and see pain... Who else suffers with this?    Still have to watch the lactose - pill is not 100%.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone suffer from Lactose Intolerance

I developed a problem with milk as I got older (found that out when I kept getting sick to my stomach after having my usual breakfast cereal and coffee).  I switched to yogurt in the a.m. and also at lunch, and I have no problem with that or with cheese.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I developed lactose intolerance later in life but wouldn't say that I "suffer."  I use soy or almond milk on cereal, and never get a milkshake.  Ice cream is sometimes okay, sometimes problematic.  Yogurt and cheese are almost always okay, though I eat very little cheese any more because it's unhealthy.  I think everyone's degree of lactose intolerance varies.

Honored Contributor

I am highly allergic to milk, and avoid it as much as possible.   I am very careful with any type of milk product, knowing how I will suffer, and eat only a very small amount of cheese on pizza and pasta.  

Trusted Contributor

@WonderWoman01 wrote:

I am now take Digestive Advantage for Lactose and it seems to be working better than any other product I have tried.  So hard to find out what works and doesn't.  Gave up cheese etc. and miss all the foods I used to eat... Pizza and grilled cheese sandwich was an easy lunch - now I look at it and see pain... Who else suffers with this?    Still have to watch the lactose - pill is not 100%.

I take a digestive enzyme, too. Like you, I still need to watch what I eat, though. 

Respected Contributor

I am both allergic to dairy and lactose intolerant.  It isn't fun.  Those pills don't work for me at all.  I even tried doubling up on them.

I live totally dairy free and read labels.  I get an scaly itchy rash if I consume dairy. 

I do enjoy almond and soy products. 

Believe it or not you can order pizza from Pizza Hut and request no cheese.  I've had it twice.  You need to tell them to double up on the sauce or it is pretty dry.

I have had it for years, but it got progressively worse as I aged.

Trusted Contributor

I have "intermittent" lactose intolerance.  It started when I had my gall bladder removed about 27 years ago.  One little bite of cheese would put me in an emergency situation within about 30 minutes.  I also had horrible symptoms of IBS.

I suffered for 4 years, with nothing working for me, until I had a hysterectomy and was put on an antibiotic when I was sent home.  I needed to take it with food, around the clock.  So, I decided to take my nighttime dose with fat-free frozen yogurt.  

Within about two weeks, I noticed a big difference with all of my intestinal issues.  If I skipped more than a day or two, the problems would return.  So, I continued to eat my frozen yogurt daily for about two years.  Now I can skip several weeks, if need be.  And I can eat any kind of dairy.

The only time the lactose intolerance flares up is after I have a colonoscopy. I have them every three years, due to family history.  And, it will take me a month or two to get myself straightened out again.

It has to be frozen yogurt that contains live and active cultures.  Not all frozen yogurt does.  My favorite brand is Turkey Hill.  Regular yogurt or Greek yogurt don't work for me.  Probiotics don't do the job.  Just my frozen yogurt.  And, even though it may sound weird, I've had 27 years to prove it, lol.

In fact, my 3 1/2 year old grandson was having some intestinal issues and I convinced my daughter to try the frozen yogurt.  It helped him within a few days.

It's worth a try.  Better than medications, if it works for you.  Can't hurt if it doesn't.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Something one side of my family has had issues with. I drink very little milk and try to only buy the Lactose Milk. Ice cream is a real trigger for me especially if I eat it late in the day. Since I really should watch my consumption of ice cream for dietary reasons it does not bother me too much. Have not had a problem with yogurt or cheese as of this writing.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband developed lactose intolerance in middle age but my teenage granddaughter developed it at a very young age. My husband can have Lactaid products and he takes the enzyme meds if he eats cheese, ice cream etc. My granddaughter's condition is part of a broader digestive disorder so she can't have any milk products at all. She takes a calcium supplement but her diet is very restricted. The lactose intolerance is a small piece of a larger problem for her but for my husband, as long as he takes his Lactaid pill he's fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m allergic to milk so I don’t eat any dairy products.  There are some good substitutes such as soy milk, rice milk and almond milk.  There’s also rice and soy ice cream.  As someone else mentioned you can order pizza without cheese from any pizza place.  I used to do it all the time.  I’ve also ordered tacos and enchiladas without cheese when we go out.  I use coconut butter or olive oil in place of butter on bread or veggies.