Super Contributor

Anyone over 45 purchased and used the PIYO exercise DVD's?

I was just wondering how any of you who have ordered these liked them?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone over 45 purchased and used the PIYO exercise DVD's?

@ThinkOutsidetheBox I just ordered it off ebay last night.  I couldn't sleep and was playing the channel changer game and they had the infomercial.  I watched it, as I had other times.  I guess I didn't want to spend the $60 for something I wouldn't use.  So this morning I thought "let me try ebay.."  Tons of sellers for half the price.  So I took a shot.  Sorry I can't answer your question since I haven't received and used it yet.  Hopefully others will give you their experience.

Regular Contributor

I have them, purchased from here as it was offerd on flex pay and I had the 30 day guarantee if I didn't like but I kept it!  I like the programs, the first few I didn't think they were very challenging to me but once I got the moves down and did them right then yes-they are challenging-still working on improving my form.  It did seem like it was hard on my wrists but as I progressed in the program my wrists did get stronger and more flexible.  I do not use this program on its own-I incorporate PIYO into my other workouts which include cardio, i.e. running, biking, etc and weight training. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm 49 and just did Piyo recently. I thought it was a fun workout and I always like Chalene's stuff. I'm the least limber person in the world so it was tough in spots. I liked the pace of it since yoga normally bores me in about five minutes. I just have no attention span.

I also shopped ebay. Much better prices there and often they are still sealed in the box. I think maybe the coaches unload them there or something.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Chalene's other workouts; Chalene extreme & turbo fire. Had great expectation & wanted to do it as my 2nd, 30 min workout. But I could not get past Chalene's endless chatter in Piyo. If you are looking for a traditional Pilates/yoga, this is not it. This is more new age kind of workout for those who want yoga but dislike the slower pace & the quiet. You may want to sample it on YT before you purchase it.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the responses and info everyone! I am 50, formerly very athletic many years ago now, hated the slow pace of yoga and Pilates back in the day, but now have partial paralysis of one leg and moderate to severe back pain. I know how to modify, and I HATE spastic, high impact movements or loud instructors. I was just wondering how anyone else my age actually felt about the movements, the music, and the instructor after trying out the workouts. Working through any pain and choosing to do the exercises is on me, I was just curious about the other aspects of the videos. All of you gave me some good info. I really appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

I've not tried it but I have a relative who used PIYO to get her baby weight off less than a year ago.  She is young though but she loved it.

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox - I would suggest you try a yoga/pilates center with a certified instructor, learn the ropes for a a month or 2 & then go on any kind of videos. They would be able to help you with finding the right moves based on your limitations. Also, check with your physician to see if it is right for you.