Respected Contributor

Anyone on Mounjaro for weight loss?

I started on this medication and have lost 34 pounds since September 2, 2022. It is not for everyone, only approved for Diabetes right now but the FDA has fast tracked the clinical trials for approval for weight loss.

I go to an Endocrinologist who specializes in metabolism. He monitors me. This medication has changed my life. The initial clinical trials for Diabetes showed significant weight loss for many people.

The medication makes you feel full, hence, you eat less. It is expensive and right now insurance does not cover it. I am lucky to have a $25 coupon to get the medication. 

I have suffered some nausea, usually a couple of days post injection. I have a Zofran prescription to help with that. The cravings have stopped. 

I was curious if anyone on these boards has had experience with it. Both my primary MD and the Endocrinologist recommended it for me. I have struggled to lose weight. This medication has been a game changer for me. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone on Mounjaro for weight loss?

[ Edited ]

@conlt 

My daughter and her husband are on it. She has lost 23 lbs. and he’s lost 28 lbs. She shopped for the holidays and was so pleased yesterday to tell me she’s down two pant sizes.

They are both in the mid-40’s age range and having pre diabetic and higher cholesterol lab findings. He has high bp. I was really beginning to worry so I am more than pleased they seem to be making better lifestyle choices. They, too, are closely monitored by their health care providers.

I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was pre-diabetic too. I am very pleased with my results. I am happy your family has had success too. 

Honored Contributor

My younger sister takes it because she is diabetic and has difficulty maintaining her health.  Her health insurance will pay for two months at a time. Her copay is $127.

I spoke to her two days ago.  She said this drug and insulin has help her keep her sugar levels down.  She said she has not lost any weight; she is not overweight.

She said it is difficult to get this drug as the pharmacies run out if it because it is being used as a weight loss drug.  She is on a wait list to hopefully be able to get her prescription filled sometime next week.

Honored Contributor

I'm a type 1 and have lost 70 lbs WITHOUT medication. Just a lot of walking for exercise. It melted off. Sorry to hear that anyone feels they need to take drugs to lose weight. Woman Indifferent

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Medication has risks....go off of it you will regain your weight unless you changed poor eating habits....

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/mounjaro-side-effects.html

Respected Contributor

The research does find you have to stay on a maintenance dose to maintain the weight loss. I am being followed by my Endocrinologist who specializes in metabolism. Also, current research and clinical trials on obesity, find that obesity is a metabolic disease that effects health and quality of life. Most people who lose weight gain it back but new research is looking at obesity not as a problem with willpower but of metabolism. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 Glad to read losing weight comes easy for someone.  Were you 70 pounds overweight before?  How did you put on those extra pounds?

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'm a type 1 and have lost 70 lbs WITHOUT medication. Just a lot of walking for exercise. It melted off. Sorry to hear that anyone feels they need to take drugs to lose weight. Woman Indifferent

This is a worrisome post and a warning to see your endocrinologist immediately. 50 plus years of Type 1 diabetes tells me if 70 pounds melted off, your diabetes is the cause. Walking may increase your metabolism but serious caloric deprivation is necessary to lose weight. Diabetes is notorious for quick weight loss. In fact uncontrolled diabetes causes weight loss even while caloric intake is astronomical. None of the calories are absorbed. It is actually a wasting disease.🥺

Honored Contributor

Many celebrities are using this diabetes medicine for quick weight loss. There are quite a few articles about it. 

I personally would wait to try this until others have been using it awhile. I remember Fen-Phen. Certainly the supervision that the OP is under is a good thing. She is being carefully monitored.