Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know a cheap dental plan for someone without a job?

I have Delta Dental and my plan only covers $1,500 a year. That is nothing if you need some work done. I've already exceeded the limit and spent some cash out of my pocket as well. I need more work done and am waiting until January. 

Some dentists will work with you and let you make payments or let you apply for a service called Care Credit. It's an interest free credit card. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These plans are all different, and the variables can be significant.    Years ago I had an Aflac dental plan, and it was great.    I had a procedure that cost me $800 and when I sent in the bill it reimbursed me $525.    No plan covers everything, but I was happy with mine.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I hope he is able to get a job with dental coverage soon.  After looking at the various plans available to me, including Delta, I decided on self-pay.  The plans did not cover enough to be worth it.  

If you have a dental school near you, that might be his best bet.

Contributor

All of your major insurance companies now offer dental plans outside of their regular health policies -Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare. You don't have to be a policy holder at any of these companies to buy one of their dental plans - at least where I live because I've checked it out. I'm semi-retired and cannot get any insurance from my job since I only work part time. I had to find other options.

In my part of the country - Florida - my DH and I have a dental policy through Assurant. Again, we don't have any other insurance with this company - just their dental plan.  For each of us it is $160 a year a piece.  It is a program where participating dentists can only charge you a the price agreed upon between them and Assurant and no more.

It covers a lot of the usual dental services, and in our area there are a lot of dentists to choose from in this plan.  It is also very easy to switch dentists if you don't like the first one you picked. I've done it with no problem.

I don't know if Assurant offers their dental discount program in every state, but it's easy enough to Google their number and give them a call.  My DH has a lot of dental problems and his dental insurance through his work just didn't pay enough and we were getting stuck with huge bills, so we switched to this discount plan instead. It really helped us budget his big ticket dental issues.

We've had good luck with Assurant - so far no complaints and we are on our third year with it.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @BluestarFL!  That's only about $14 a month, cheapest I've heard!  Your co-pay and other restrictions must be awfully high.  And there must have been a wait time before you could use it when you enrolled.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)