Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know a cheap dental plan for someone without a job?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Based on my experience, there's no such thing as a really good dental plan.  All that I've seen have a low annual maximum that they will pay, usually around $1500, after a deductible.  Treatment for one tooth can easily cost more than that.

They are a lose/lose situation for an insurer.

And you can forget it if you need crowns or bridges............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Delta Dental.......

Honored Contributor

Decent individual dental plan for $120 per year, called Dental Network, but this is in Maryland, have no idea if it is offered elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

Be careful of signing up for dental insurance if you need it right away, often they have a period of waiting before you can use it (while you're still paying monthly and will have a deductible).....  Woman Frustrated     

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

The term "cheap dental insurance"

is a laugh....there is no such thing, sadly...

Honored Contributor

A couple things about dental insurance ....

First, check out the waiting periods, because they don't reward bad behavior.   If someone needs 4 crowns and some other expensive stuff done, and hasn't been to a dentist in 10 years, they do not pay for these on Day One of coverage.

Secondly, there is no plan that pays 100 %, so consider it only a partial supplement for costs.

I find Dental to be a long term commitment .... some years you may have cleanings and need nothing else done, and the next year you might need a crown and three fillings!     Your needs will change from year to year.    The point is that it's there when you need it .... not unlike auto insurance.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Delta Dental we had and it's not worth a ----. LOL

High premiums that go up every yr. they only pay for one cleaning a yr. big deal. The other one you pay for. Our premium went up to 125 a month and you have to go to the dentists that they approve of. 

Read the small print they won't pay for 50% of a major procedure for 5 yrs.

All this time your paying in you could have payed out of pocket instead of giving to them.

We started our own plan by putting in 100 a month in the bank dedicated to dentist bills.

Make sure, make dang sure your cleaning appt's are EXACTLY TO THE DAY  6 mos. apart. My husband didn't think about it and had a appt. 3 days shy of the 6 months and he had to pay the whole bill over 3 lousy days.

After that we quit 'em.

Esteemed Contributor

I had Delta Dental when I was working,and now have Aetna in retirement. These were with large groups.  Your son should check with  major providers to see if they sell individual coverage. Aetna does not sell individual standalone coverage in my state. I am not sure what Delta does in NJ.

If you live in a major city, your son may want to consider going to a dental school for basic treatment.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Based on my experience, there's no such thing as a really good dental plan.  All that I've seen have a low annual maximum that they will pay, usually around $1500, after a deductible.  Treatment for one tooth can easily cost more than that.

They are a lose/lose situation for an insurer.

And you can forget it if you need crowns or bridges............

I had Delta Dental in NJ. When I was working the coverage and my plan was first class. In retirement, I had an Aetna PPO plan. It is not bad for 37 dollars a month.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My son has no job, so no dental insurance. I googled it, but since I am unfamiliar with any plan, I don't know which ones are legitimate and which ones are scams. So if someone has ever had to get a cheap plan, please let me know which ones work. Thanks.

Has he already gone to see a dentist? If he went to a dentist for a diagnosis and need major work, get insurance AND a second opinion.

Many years ago I went to a dentist when I had a toothache but no insurance. The dentist took x-rays, checked me out, and told me I had nine cavities and maybe needed a root canal. He showed me where I needed fillings and identified several teeth, but NOT the tooth that hurt enough to send me to the dentist in the first place. I freaked out and got insurance, I don't remember the provider, but the original dentist was not on the plan so I saw someone else.

The new dentist told me I had two cavities and no need for a root canal. And he actually identified on of the cavities as being in the tooth that had been hurting. 

That was 20 years ago and I STILL don't have nine cavities in my teeth, I've had 5 in my whole life. I've also managed to avoid a root canal for my entire life, which is a blessing since my mother has had 13 because of an injury she suffered as a child. The first dentist was a scammer and I reported him. I've never had a dentist pull anything like that again and if I did have someone tell me I needed major work, I'd get a second opinion.