Trusted Contributor

Anyone know a cheap dental plan for someone without a job?

My son has no job, so no dental insurance. I googled it, but since I am unfamiliar with any plan, I don't know which ones are legitimate and which ones are scams. So if someone has ever had to get a cheap plan, please let me know which ones work. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone know a cheap dental plan for someone without a job?

I feel your pain Big time.  I went to the dentist for one tooth to get a And he was going to charge me almost $1800 to do the job I almost passed out.  At the moment I have insurance that would pay $500 but that's all.   So I understand because I don't know how long I will have this insurance.   Here's what I would do ask around where you live if there's anyway you can get dental care if you don't have insurance.  I did that and found a place in the next city at a hospital next to it there's a clinic and I've got the phone number to call and ask questions.   I don't know where you live but they say if you live where there's universities and they teach dental you may have an opportunity to get dental work done in that university. 

There's also Medicaid if you're in the low income bracket which also would qualify you for dental care, but that would be limited. 

I personally don't understand why under medical it isn't covered because they say teeth are so important to take care of and how they affect your health. 

If Dentist can give pain medication injections do surgeries etc. then why doesn't insurance cover them. 

It sounds simple to me, I just don't understand it.   I just know that my teeth or what's left of them is important and I'm sure it's important to you too. 

I wish you all the best I hope I helped in some small way, good luck. From someone who understands your pain.  

Honored Contributor

There have been some folks posting here saying they got cheap dental insurance from Delta Dental - something like $30/month.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call delta dental.  I pay 279 a year for a family plan.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had Comp Benefits for many years --paid $11.14 per month initially and the price hasn't increased since.  I believe there was a $35 initial membership fee also.

ETA:  I also now have Delta Dental through my university retirement benefits but kept Comp Benefits as a supplemental dental insurance.  Together, they work very well.

Honored Contributor

When I retired, I carried COBRA coverage for 18 months on my vision and dental.  Once that coverage ended, I chose not to continue any connection under my former employer, and signed up for the comprehensive level plan with Delta Dental, that costs $29.83 a month.   The billing clerk in my dentists office explained how the coverage worked on their end, and this coverage has been totally hassle free, unlike my employment coverage.   I absolutely urge anyone to consider Delta Dental for coverage.   

Honored Contributor

Based on my experience, there's no such thing as a really good dental plan.  All that I've seen have a low annual maximum that they will pay, usually around $1500, after a deductible.  Treatment for one tooth can easily cost more than that.

They are a lose/lose situation for an insurer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My dentist offers a package for those without insurance: For $249, you get two cleanings and any X-rays needed, plus you get 10% off any additional services you may need. Not great, but better than nothing, and two cleanings would cost more than that alone. I have always heard good things about Delta Dental, have used them successfully when I was employed. They are headquartered in my state, and have two mobile units that travel the state offering free care to needy children.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to save $$, I've been going to a dental school (for years) and don't like it at all.  So I too will be shopping for coverage AND a dentist before the end of "open season."  I do know that average payout is about $1000 a year which isn't much.  Please post here what you find for your child.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan. I went to the University of Texas Dental School in Houston ffor years.  Had thousands of dollars worth of work done for the cost of materials.  You must have lots of time as they're slow but I enjoyed working with the students.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment