Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone here with fibromyalgia and chostochondritis ?

@Tabbycat wrote:

I have chostochondritis.... to the point now, it never goes away. I go to chiro and get medical massages for mine. It is horrible. As for bras, I don't wear one unless I have to go somelace. I found some nice stretchy ones on amazon. 

My blood platelets started going really high at my last med check. My PCP doc sent me to hematologist/oncologist recently for a whole series of blood work ... everything came back negative. Oncologist said it has to be caused from inflammation somewhere in my body. I will guess that is the Chosto. 

I have made the decision to go today and get a bottle of CBD oil from a local shop up town. The hemp is locally organically grown, it's full spectrum CBD. The guy I talked to there says it's wonderful for inflammation.

He did a little research on Chosto himself and said he thinks it will help my pain.  I have given this a lot of thought and have read many conversations on these forums about CBD. This is made from Hemp, the other stuff is not legal in NC. I'm excited that I have finally made the decision and did my research. I'm tired of daily pain and now that I know my blood is not diseased, I feel like I don't have much to lose in trying something new. 

Really sorry to here you have this too...it is good news and I'm sure a relief that your bloodwork is ok. Your post is so informative to me its given me a few questions but only if you want to answer them...

The first is do you also have fibro?  and how is it getting a massage of any type during that much pain...I know you said medical, but wondering what areas could be touched ?

Let me know how the CBD does for your inflammation....I tried it a few times but not in sequence and not long enough to tell if it did anything because of the meds I already take..thx

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Valued Contributor

@Tabbycat  I do hope CBD oil helps you! I have had great experience with it taming my minor flares. I havent tried larger milligrams than 250mg though. I still need other meds  but i use the CBD too. If the shop owner didnt mention to you,  what's very helpful is to hold it for a minute or 2 under your tongue  at bottom of your mouth (gets in system better).

If this helps at all for anyone---- I also get  myofascial release massage and lucky I have an lmt friend I trust who knows fascia release.  And Classical Stretch on PBS is a good pain relief if you're up for even just a few fascia stretches. I have been blending greens with turmeric powder, fresh ginger, lemon, cucumber and parsley with a little coconut water  in my Ninja blender too. My inflammation seems to be better when I do this consistently. 

Thank you for this thread. I read all your experiences, suggestions and appreciate everyone sharing! Not easy coping with this for sure. 

Super Contributor

Hi @deja vu and @DianeJ2 .... I will combine this post to you both. Sorry it's long. Will try to answer you questions and thoughts.

I sure feel your pain..... all of you who are plagued with Costochrondritis! 

I don't think I have fibro. PCP hasn't indicated that possibility to me. I don't take anything for the costochrondritis except Advil and only when I cross my pain threshold, but it messes with my stomach.

I take long warm epsom salt baths to help with pain. At last med check PCP gave me a Rx generic for Cymbalta and it made me horribly ill including vomiting. One pill and done with that one! LOL. I pulled a couple of ribheads out and it took several visits to my chiropractor to get them back in place...ouch! A hard sneeze or vomiting will pull a ribhead for me every time....painful!!!

I go to a massage clinic that specializes in getting folks out of pain. So I can choose a therapist to help my specific issues. Tom specializes in KMI ( Kinesis Myofascial Integration ), CranioSacral Therapy, Neuromuscular, and Orthopedic Massage. The KMI is a series if 12 sessions where he works on a specific section at a time and I'm involved with the therapy and move the parts of my body as he tells me to as he works.

@deja vu... Your question was what areas can be touched. He doesn't always have to get on the sore spots to help. It's difficult for me to explain since I'm not trained. I just tell him where I'm hurting and he goes to work. An example of a recent neck muscle that was giving me fits. He explained that the muscle causing the pain was in another spot than where it was actually hurting. The trouble spots ended up being one, close to behind my ear and the other, up a bit from the base of my skull and into my hair. My neck sure is feeling better now.

I've been going to him for over a year now, usually twice a month. I've recently finished up my 12 session KMI series. Best to google for explaination of KMI. That has been wonderful, but in between times when I'm hurting, he'll do a massage. Yes, he does find some wierd spots, that I don't even know are sore! lol. Throughout the sessions he asks if the pressure is ok, so he is gentle and also such a sweet gentleman. I really adore him.

As for the CBD, @DianeJ2 , yes the shop manager told me to hold it under my tongue for at least a minute or more and give it a week to see results. Also to start off with a couple of drops and work up till I find my sweet spot. I can do it 2 - 3 times a day. I have started with 3 drops a couple of times during the day and 4 drops at night. Nights are bad because I wake up everytime from pain when I move or turn over or have to get up to the  bathroom.

The bottle says 0.42mg of CBD per drop and 17mg per 1 mil dropper.

Also, I Youtube that "Classical Stretch" last night. I was able to do a couple of the short ones without much pain. Thanks so much for telling us about that. I plan on keeping up with that gal, she is fantastic!  Thank You ` Thank You! I even had a fairly comfortable night.

I try to throw mostly alkaline veggies, nuts and seeds in my salads every night. And enjoy a nice tall glass of organic ginger tea, my fav, with dinner!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Valued Contributor

@Tabbycat  You just made my day!!!  I'm so happy to hear that the stretches gave you some relief sleeping! I just got Miranda Esmonde-White Season 9 full set dvds on EBay for $30. Rotating the stretches  with all you mentioned that you do (massage, cbd, ginger tea  etc) we are doing all we can. I bet we could all give  a costochondritis/fibro seminar together 😊

Cymbalta is very hard to get off of. I have friends who tried after it stopped working. I declined it. I went with Amitryptiline an older tricyclic. Costochondritis, I was told, can be caused by a simple virus, Epstein Barr or an injury too. No matter the cause it is excruciating and hard to explain if you don't have it. I laughed at your "hard sneeze" only because I have tried to hold in a sneeze until I couldn't breathe and ouch!!! Pulled a rib anyway lol. And also, I agree the therapist is the key with massage. An intuitive, experienced one knows which fascia, muscle etc surrounding the inflammed spot ) not necessarily working just  the exact  spot)  needs to be worked on to loosen the entire area. 

Keep us posted how the CBD works for you. I would love to see how you're doing! Hugs (gentle!) to all. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deja vu wrote:

I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with fibro and all it's glory Smiley Indifferent

If you happen to have chosto also, you know about all the swelling and pain around ribcage and shoulders etc during flareup.

My question is what is the "best bra" you have found to wear in the house and sleep in when necessary.

Thanks so much !!

@deja vu sorry to say I was diagnosed with fibro too and am well familiar with costochondritis plus I broke the last rib on my right side.. Ouch to the max and to this day when I'm into a flare up, oops that area wakes up and let's me know.  I don't like going braless either so I got bra extenders and that really, really helped with the band being alot looser yet I had "hold up" power..

Good Luck with that and to us fibro girls, hang in there..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

@deja vu wrote:

I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with fibro and all it's glory Smiley Indifferent

If you happen to have chosto also, you know about all the swelling and pain around ribcage and shoulders etc during flareup.

My question is what is the "best bra" you have found to wear in the house and sleep in when necessary.

Thanks so much !!

@deja vu sorry to say I was diagnosed with fibro too and am well familiar with costochondritis plus I broke the last rib on my right side.. Ouch to the max and to this day when I'm into a flare up, oops that area wakes up and let's me know.  I don't like going braless either so I got bra extenders and that really, really helped with the band being alot looser yet I had "hold up" power..

Yep this mess really does let you know !!  Great idea about the bra extenders, not even crossed my fogged up mind..haha thx 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deja vu wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

@deja vu wrote:

Thanks so much !!

Yep this mess really does let you know !!  Great idea about the bra extenders, not even crossed my fogged up mind..haha thx 

@deja vu oh that darn fog, goodness gracious it's like some days I'm up in the Smokies- literally, LOL .

You betcha this mess really does let you know it, funny how flareups are drawn to or around an injured area and the pain, I'd never wish that on my enemy... but I read about some fibro patients (myself included now) of taking Mucinex for the guaifenesin for the pain- it really helps me during a full blown flare up and keeps my head clear at the same time.  When I was first diagnosed I read everything I could about it and the guaifenesin was a winner from the get go for me..

And the bra extenders are a God sent- talk about relieving the pain from my fx'd rib (right under my right boob).. 

Hang in there- us fibro ladies have to stick together!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@deja vu How do you know you have Chronic Fatigue Sydrome ? Do you get it if you have a thyroid problem ?

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@deja vu How do you know you have Chronic Fatigue Sydrome ? Do you get it if you have a thyroid problem ?

Fibromyalgia and CFS, often cross over and you can have both.

~Fibro, muscle pain is greater than the fatigue.

~CFS, lack of energy is more significant than the pain.

CFS is thought to be brought on by Viral Infections like Epstein-Barr virus and human herpes virus.

~physical-/emotional trauma

~exposures to toxins

~family, may be pre-dispositioned

~pre-existing psychological cond.

~physhocological stress

~immune system problems

~hormonal imbalances

~increasing age

~Women are more prone to it

From what I'm being told fibro can be caused by any trauma to the body..or from medications/treatments etc.