Trusted Contributor

Anyone here with fibromyalgia and chostochondritis ?

I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with fibro and all it's glory Smiley Indifferent

If you happen to have chosto also, you know about all the swelling and pain around ribcage and shoulders etc during flareup.

My question is what is the "best bra" you have found to wear in the house and sleep in when necessary.

Thanks so much !!

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone here with fibromyalgia and chostochondritis ?

Yes .. I have had chostochondritis .... after I had the flu and was

coughing so hard ... then about 2 weeks after I was diagnosed

with that .. I sneezed and cracked a rib ....

When the dr. in emergency told me what I had ..I was ... WHAT ??

I had never heard of it before ... but man was it painfull ....

Trusted Contributor

OH my, I could not imagine having a broken rib on top of it...when I was told I had it I thought it was my heart and Dr sent me for scan.
I'd never heard of it either..that was 4 yrs ago. I get it a few times a yr now.. thankfully all of them are not full on flareups. This time it all started wkend of Mothers day and I think it's finally leaving.
Valued Contributor

Yes I have both too. The first time I had chostocondritis I thought was having a heart attack yikes. Had pain going down my left arm to under my rib. Thank God the doctor on call was familiar with it! Flareups as you know, are not bra friendly. 😩 I slather on a muscle cream and if i have to, put on a bralette like Bali Revolution  Or Rhonda Shear Ah bra ( in the house). For out of the house with support, i like Hanes wire free bras that i get on Amazon or Kohls. The material is stretchy and comfortable yet you can adjust the support level.  Hope you feel better soon!

Honored Contributor

I know how you feel and can commiserate!  Not pleasant conditions either one!

I would say if you are at home and having bad flares, just go without a bra.  If you find you must wear one to go out, just wear ones which are wire-free.  I had to dispose of all bars with wires ages ago.  Those litle stretcy bras with no fasteners can be found expenively just about any where also.  I hope you feel better soon! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies...I hate that you all have it though...would not wish it upon anyone.

Yes I have given up on all wires too.  Unfortunately I'm very uncomfortable braless..well gravity !!

I've tried many many and still wearing tiny t-strap bras I found at kohl's years ago inside, but would never go in public unless had some type of cover up.

Thx again

Valued Contributor

I have fibro, myofasciale pain & a year ago got chostochondritis arond my breast bone. It was a terrible 6 weeks of pain. I also have TMJ & I am dealing with recurring UTI's now. The best bra is no bra! I did find Warners play it cool on Amazon. That one I can tolerate.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I also have both.  

My youngest daughter (now 39) was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue at Children's Hospital by a famous Dr there before most people had even heard or knew much about any of this.

Chronic Fatigue is the worst of the worst of that group.  It was so strange.  She'd be paralyzed.  She couldn't move at all!

She'd be walking down the hall at home and fall and we'd have to let her stay there until she got enough energy to move.

Once she was laying in bed and reading a book!  She called to me.  She couldn't move.  I took the book and made her comfortable.  

Eventually, she could move.  It's in the neighborhood of Fibromyalgia and those other things.  Not a lot of people have it.

She now know when she's going to have an attack and totally drops out of everything.  She must baby herself and no phones, no stress, nothing.

She takes meticulous care of herself (inside and out).  While she was here visiting for 3 weeks, she found a pysical therapist, a massage therapist and a place where she could go to Yoga and so on.

If she doesn't take care of herself, she'll have an attack.

Yes, about the rib pain.  It's as if you've worn a very, very tight bra and/or broke a rib.  The pain is terrible.  It hurts to breathe.

I didn't know it had a name.  I have kinda weird stuff.  I also have IGG.  Someone else here I know has it too.  I won't talk about it, it's her business but she was kind enough to share it with me.

I'm due to get my blood checked.  They keep calling me.  Then I have to go and get an infusion.  Those infusions take around 7 hours.  It's drip, drip, drip into my arm.  It's a glucose kind of something that has the immunology from other people's blood taken out and given to me.  I don't have any immunity.

I don't know about any of you but I'm grateful I live in a time where the Drs understand more about health problems and how to make our lives better.

I don't sit around and boo hoo about stuff.  I'm just glad when I can get SOME relief from the pain.

You guys probably feel the same way.  We are lucky we live in such a wonderful country.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Yes, I also have both.  

My youngest daughter (now 39) was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue at Children's Hospital by a famous Dr there before most people had even heard or knew much about any of this.

Chronic Fatigue is the worst of the worst of that group.  It was so strange.  She'd be paralyzed.  She couldn't move at all!

She'd be walking down the hall at home and fall and we'd have to let her stay there until she got enough energy to move.

Once she was laying in bed and reading a book!  She called to me.  She couldn't move.  I took the book and made her comfortable.  

Eventually, she could move.  It's in the neighborhood of Fibromyalgia and those other things.  Not a lot of people have it.

She now know when she's going to have an attack and totally drops out of everything.  She must baby herself and no phones, no stress, nothing.

She takes meticulous care of herself (inside and out).  While she was here visiting for 3 weeks, she found a pysical therapist, a massage therapist and a place where she could go to Yoga and so on.

If she doesn't take care of herself, she'll have an attack.

Yes, about the rib pain.  It's as if you've worn a very, very tight bra and/or broke a rib.  The pain is terrible.  It hurts to breathe.

I didn't know it had a name.  I have kinda weird stuff.  I also have IGG.  Someone else here I know has it too.  I won't talk about it, it's her business but she was kind enough to share it with me.

I'm due to get my blood checked.  They keep calling me.  Then I have to go and get an infusion.  Those infusions take around 7 hours.  It's drip, drip, drip into my arm.  It's a glucose kind of something that has the immunology from other people's blood taken out and given to me.  I don't have any immunity.

I don't know about any of you but I'm grateful I live in a time where the Drs understand more about health problems and how to make our lives better.

I don't sit around and boo hoo about stuff.  I'm just glad when I can get SOME relief from the pain.

You guys probably feel the same way.  We are lucky we live in such a wonderful country.

Thank you for sharing so much...you and your daughter both are having some serious illness..I'm glad that she has her system kinda worked out and can at least tell in advance that its going to happen..

I don't know what IGG is but I could not imagine having no immunity...

Good that you do have such great doctors....I do deal with low platelets also.. but no infusions as of yet. I don't mind at all hearing about what you have..without mentioning the other person...I'm always curious to learn new things..as I'd never heard of some of my own problems until I had them.

Best of luck to you both !!

Super Contributor

I have chostochondritis.... to the point now, it never goes away. I go to chiro and get medical massages for mine. It is horrible. As for bras, I don't wear one unless I have to go somelace. I found some nice stretchy ones on amazon. 

My blood platelets started going really high at my last med check. My PCP doc sent me to hematologist/oncologist recently for a whole series of blood work ... everything came back negative. Oncologist said it has to be caused from inflammation somewhere in my body. I will guess that is the Chosto. 

I have made the decision to go today and get a bottle of CBD oil from a local shop up town. The hemp is locally organically grown, it's full spectrum CBD. The guy I talked to there says it's wonderful for inflammation.

He did a little research on Chosto himself and said he thinks it will help my pain.  I have given this a lot of thought and have read many conversations on these forums about CBD. This is made from Hemp, the other stuff is not legal in NC. I'm excited that I have finally made the decision and did my research. I'm tired of daily pain and now that I know my blood is not diseased, I feel like I don't have much to lose in trying something new. 

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~