Trusted Contributor

Anyone here ever have a root canal?

I have a very bad habit of grinding my teeth.  I do it whenever I am stressed (which has been quite often).  One of the teeth on top way in the back finally cracked and a small piece broke off.  I must have been grinding my teeth the other night in my sleep.  I woke up in the middle of the night in such horrible pain I was up the rest of the night.

Taking ibuprofen helps, but only for a couple of hours.  It doesn't hurt when I drink anything hot or cold, but it does hurt if I bite down on that side.  I don't know if a root canal is necessary.  This is a worst-case scenario for me.

I should also add I am absolutely terrified of the dentist.  A few years ago I went to a dentist that hurt me so bad you could hear a pin drop (I screamed that loud).  I am having major anxiety over this but I know I need to have it looked  at and taken care of.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?  If so, what was done to fix it and please be honest ~ how much (if any)pain was involved?  Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here ever have a root canal?

@Julie928

Root canals do not hurt ...I have had many.

In fact, if I was in pain from a toothache, the root canal solved all of that and the actual process was painless.

Let your dentist know you are having anxiety too and have had painful dental experiences.

HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I just had one last year. Don't be scared. It really isn't much different than a filling

They have such  new equipement. and ways of doing your tooth, its all over in  about an hr. No pain at all

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually do not have a good experience with any kind of very invasive dental work, but that's just me. I have had several root canals and although they were painless and successful my face swelled up like a blow fish. If the tooth is back far enough and doesn't show when you smile I would just have it pulled. You can always have an implant too. A good dentist is almost impossible to find these days because of all the early preventative dental care. I could not find one general dentist who was skilled enough to pull a tooth or do a root canal. You will need an endodontist to do the root canal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

CALL a dentist ASAP.They might be able to prescribe something before you come.Gargle with hot salt water.

I have had at least a half dozen root canals. I am also a teeth grinder. If you hurry, they might not need to do one.

The worst part is the injections. After everything is numb, they set about opening, the tooth and  cleaning the infected canals.  It's been a long time. If there is a serous infection, some prescribe antibiotics. some do not. Their theory is that they are removing the infection. Then they seal the tooth. They take measurements for the crown, This takes a couple of visits.

The most painful part is the $$$ you pay to the denist. In some cases, they cannot the save the tooth and will remove it.

Hope you get this resolved quickly. And feel better soon!

Valued Contributor

A broken tooth is very painful. A root canal is a relief. Believe me, I've had many. Don't be scared. A good endodontist will take good care of you.

Respected Contributor

Inhave had many root canals in my lifetime.  The area is numbed before the work begins.  So, aside from the slight pinch of the needle which is over in seconds, you should feel no pain.  If the root is longer than normal, you made need another needle which you won’t feel because the area is numb already.

It is very important that they get all of the root out so you don’t get an infection.  This takes a few minutes of probing which you won’t feel but may hear some sounds.

They will sterilize the canal, place a post in it and fill around the post.  A crown could then be made and placed on the post.  This will preserve the structure of your mouth and ultimately your face.

I am sorry for that prior terrifying experience.  I suggest you ask around for recommendations....and, of course, prices.

Good luck and remember the pain you now have can be remedied.  Get it taken care of before infection takes hold.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I have thankfully never had any dental issues but good luck to you. I wonder if explaining your history and your fear of the pain to the dentist ahead of time would help. Maybe they could assure you that they will do all they can to alleviate the pain. Maybe a one time antianxiety med would also help. Because I have only had cleanings and a couple of fillings I would also be afraid. I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928  I have a mouthful of root canals.  Go to your dentist and let him take a look see....it will only get worse  if you put it off.  You will not know the extent of the tooth breaking until they take an X-ray.....

Put your big girl britches on and take care of it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928

The first thing to do is contact your dentist right away in the morning. I don't know why these things always seem to happen on the weekend. 

Root canals are not painful, it's the tooth that broke off that is painful. The worst thing regarding root canals for me is having my mouth open for a longer period of time. I've had 2 done and each one was more time consuming then anything. I wouldn't call it pain. 

Just don't put it off or you may just bring on more problems. 

Good Luck!

I just want to add this too, If you do have the root canal this will be done by an endodonist. Like someone here said, they need to take an x-ray to determine what you need to do. Now, I will add, I broke part of my back tooth eating  popcorn and I decided since I have such a small mouth, I had the tooth pulled. No one can see the absent tooth and I didn't need it to chew with. You may want to consider having it pulled if that is an option. Root canals are expensive. 

I know what you are going through. It's too bad you can't call your dentist to get some advice ahead of time. If not, call the first thing in the morning because you don't want infection to begin.