Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone having problems affording insulin??

@Desertdi wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@emmysmom  Do you get insulin through the drug company?  I don't take insulin but I do receive my Rheumatoid Arthritis syringes through a foundation associated with the drug company.  I have been receiving for 7 years.  It is so expensive (a couple of thousand or more) that there is no way I could afford Enbrel.  I hope you are able to find assistance somewhere but I always start with the drug company that makes the drug.  Good luck to you.  I personally think the drug companies need to stop charging so much for medication especially to seniors.

It makes me crazy..the companies are so greedy! I'll give it a try, thanks so much!Heart

@emmysmom @Katcat1 Yeah, the Enbrel folks have to pay Phil Mikelson, too.   (I really don't think companies should advertise on TV.)  di

@Desertdi - I don't think they should be allowed to advertise on TV either, nor should the insurance companies.  Imagine how much would be saved if they did away with the in your face commercials that must be on 100 times a day.

Respected Contributor

Why has this drug not become a generic or has it?  I thought drugs went generic after 7 years and insulin has been around for decades now.  Maybe I'm way off base here and for some reason, it can never become a generic drug but in that case, there is no reason, other than greed, for it to be as expensive as it is now.  I'm not diabetic but a friend is and she's told me how pricey it is.

Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

Been using insulin since 2012...received a letter today saying I would not be getting any assistance. I can't afford it on my own. I'm calling a company called SimpleFill...to see if I can enroll. Anyone else have problems affording insulin??

If I remember correctly @emmysmom, you are a Type 2 diabetic. Have you investigated other meds other than Lantus for your diabetes? As a Type 2 diabetic, there are many far less expensive routes you could go other than the utilization of insulin. Have you discussed this with your physician? If you were denied coverage by your insurance company, you can always have your physician place a claim that no other medication but insulin will help you. Also metformin is an excellent drug for diabetes helping with insulin resistance thus making it that you may be able to use less at least.

I am a Type 1 diabetic with private insurance. I have heard some horror stories from people on Medicare Part D in regard to the cost of insulin. Even now my co-pays are very expensive as I need both a basal and short acting insulin.

Hopefully, this life saving drug will not continue to increase in price. It was always very affordable and suddenly the price has increased exponentially. More needs to be done to make it affordable for everyone and Soon!

Good luck to you and I hope that you find a solution in finding more affordable insulin if no other medication can be substituted.

I spent this morning on the phone...had to talk to several different agencies ...after all that..found out it was a State issue and had NOTHING to do with my drug coverage! I found this wonderful man..(even gave me his personal number and told me what to do..) So...the beggining of next year, I have to ask for an exception from my doctor because my secondary insurance doesn't cover LANTUS!! What a nightmare. I went through all of this last year..! Woman Frustrated Thanks for all your suggestions and letting me vent..! Heart

@emmysmom... do you have CVS Caremark? They have a substitute (Basaglar) that they offer which is as effective. Lantus has been dropped from a lot of insurance companies.

Yes..I have Caremark...I'm afraid to change drugs because Lantus works..never had any side effects..after talking to my doctor last year..she understood my worry, because I'm allergic too most anitbiotics and pain relievers! She wanted to switch me to Toujeo..WHY are the companies dropping Lantus?? Its a proven drug..and been around for awhile..(I'll read about Basaglar).tia!Heart

@emmysmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

Been using insulin since 2012...received a letter today saying I would not be getting any assistance. I can't afford it on my own. I'm calling a company called SimpleFill...to see if I can enroll. Anyone else have problems affording insulin??

If I remember correctly @emmysmom, you are a Type 2 diabetic. Have you investigated other meds other than Lantus for your diabetes? As a Type 2 diabetic, there are many far less expensive routes you could go other than the utilization of insulin. Have you discussed this with your physician? If you were denied coverage by your insurance company, you can always have your physician place a claim that no other medication but insulin will help you. Also metformin is an excellent drug for diabetes helping with insulin resistance thus making it that you may be able to use less at least.

I am a Type 1 diabetic with private insurance. I have heard some horror stories from people on Medicare Part D in regard to the cost of insulin. Even now my co-pays are very expensive as I need both a basal and short acting insulin.

Hopefully, this life saving drug will not continue to increase in price. It was always very affordable and suddenly the price has increased exponentially. More needs to be done to make it affordable for everyone and Soon!

Good luck to you and I hope that you find a solution in finding more affordable insulin if no other medication can be substituted.

I spent this morning on the phone...had to talk to several different agencies ...after all that..found out it was a State issue and had NOTHING to do with my drug coverage! I found this wonderful man..(even gave me his personal number and told me what to do..) So...the beggining of next year, I have to ask for an exception from my doctor because my secondary insurance doesn't cover LANTUS!! What a nightmare. I went through all of this last year..! Woman Frustrated Thanks for all your suggestions and letting me vent..! Heart

@emmysmom... do you have CVS Caremark? They have a substitute (Basaglar) that they offer which is as effective. Lantus has been dropped from a lot of insurance companies.

Yes..I have Caremark...I'm afraid to change drugs because Lantus works..never had any side effects..after talking to my doctor last year..she understood my worry, because I'm allergic too most anitbiotics and pain relievers! She wanted to switch me to Toujeo..WHY are the companies dropping Lantus?? Its a proven drug..and been around for awhile..(I'll read about Basaglar).tia!Heart

@emmysmom, they are dropping Lantus because of the high cost. I agree with Tansy...levemir is also an excellent substitute. When I used Lantus I had a lot more hypoglycemia. Levemir seems to work well for me.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Dear @emmysmom, I am most sorry that you are in this situation.  It makes me very angry.  We are the richest country in the world.  I also agree with the poster that all these drug ads on tv are ridiculous.  Like anyone is going to tell their doctor they want a certain drug because they saw an impressive ad on tv?  Can you imagine the costs for these ads?  I sincerely hope your problem can be resolved quickly.

@PamfromCT

People really do go to their doctor asking for these drugs after they see the commercials??? That's why they do it.

IMO putting someone on TV dancing around acting happy about taking Toujeo for diabetes is so wrong IMO. People think they can take this & it will make you happy & dance around. It should be against the law

We don't need TV ads about Big Pharma Drugs. If you need something your doctor can tell you not some commercial???

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@emmysmom  Do you get insulin through the drug company?  I don't take insulin but I do receive my Rheumatoid Arthritis syringes through a foundation associated with the drug company.  I have been receiving for 7 years.  It is so expensive (a couple of thousand or more) that there is no way I could afford Enbrel.  I hope you are able to find assistance somewhere but I always start with the drug company that makes the drug.  Good luck to you.  I personally think the drug companies need to stop charging so much for medication especially to seniors.

It makes me crazy..the companies are so greedy! I'll give it a try, thanks so much!Heart

@emmysmom @Katcat1 Yeah, the Enbrel folks have to pay Phil Mikelson, too.   (I really don't think companies should advertise on TV.)  di

@Desertdi - I don't think they should be allowed to advertise on TV either, nor should the insurance companies.  Imagine how much would be saved if they did away with the in your face commercials that must be on 100 times a day.

@CelticCrafter

ITA. The commercials should be against the law.

After hearing them say all the side effects do they really think anyone would want to take those drugs. Especially the ones that have Cancer as a side effect??? Something wrong with this picture IMO.

Something my doctor prescribed when I had Shingles had death as a side effect. I told him I did not know if I wanted to take it or not. I said I don't want to wake up dead???

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Why has this drug not become a generic or has it?  I thought drugs went generic after 7 years and insulin has been around for decades now.  Maybe I'm way off base here and for some reason, it can never become a generic drug but in that case, there is no reason, other than greed, for it to be as expensive as it is now.  I'm not diabetic but a friend is and she's told me how pricey it is.

Yes..WHY hasn't Lantus become generic??? Good question! Woman Frustrated

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Valued Contributor

I've heard of this problem w/ppl who have to use a specific brand of insulin where it takes an act of god for insurance to cover it. 

You don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.  Also try GoodRx.

factoid:  The ppl who discovered insulin didn't patent it on purpose so it would be affordable for everybody.  Guess they didn't count on "innovations" driving up the price.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Is it possible for you to use Metformin?  Pharmacies will offer that medication for free.

They put me on Met at the beginning...I got very ill...tummy pain, etc. I thought it was from the diabetes. Thankfully I saw another doctor who suggested I quit the Met..and I started Lantus, The pain went away a few days later..and my pharmacist told me about the side effects..there were many. So thankful I got off that stuff...that was 6 years ago. 

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@carlycat wrote:

My boyfriend has Type 2, takes Lantus, and Metformin. He can't take anything else. He has talked to his dr, his insurance company, and Medicare. His COPAY is $1,000. He's still in the donut hole. It's terrible. It's like they want people to die. 

I KNOW exactly how he feels...its insane! If he has limited income...have him do a search. online, THERE HAS to be a way..I got mine through Medicaid..extra help..

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My insurance for 2019 has dropped Lantus but will cover Levemir.

I use the vials instead of pens.

I prefer the vials too..I kept getting high readings on the PEN's..I find it easier to draw up what I need with the syringes...! Are you using Levemir now?? If so..any problems??

-- Mae West