Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone having problems affording insulin??

@emmysmom  In a lot of cases type 2 diabetes can be improved, reducing the need for medication and sometimes coming off of it  al together with diet and exercise,. But not all cases.   Also, type 1 diabetes can not be reversed. There have been experimental treatments for years such as pancrease transplants and stem cell research. Nothing widely available. The closest thing available to most  is an insulin pump.

Something does need to be done  about  the skyrocketing price of insulin. I have been insulin dependent since early childhood, 50 years now.

Try checking out the Walmart brand of insulin to see if they have something that your doctor can prescribe. It is offered at a more affordable price for most, and can buy out of pocket without a prescription. Discuss it with your physician.

Best of luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@emmysmom  In a lot of cases type 2 diabetes can be improved, reducing the need for medication and sometimes coming off of it  al together with diet and exercise,. But not all cases.   Also, type 1 diabetes can not be reversed. There have been experimental treatments for years such as pancrease transplants and stem cell research. Nothing widely available. The closest thing available to most  is an insulin pump.

Something does need to be done  about  the skyrocketing price of insulin. I have been insulin dependent since early childhood, 50 years now.

Try checking out the Walmart brand of insulin to see if they have something that your doctor can prescribe. It is offered at a more affordable price for most, and can buy out of pocket without a prescription. Discuss it with your physician.

Best of luck to you.

Interesting...I get my Lantus at WM..will check it out. I so WANT to quit the injections,,,I'm in my 60's and just tired of it all! 50 years is a long time..I feel for you! Woman Sad (Thanks for your suggestion!) Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@tockerman wrote:

please check out dr. jason fung he has a lot of good information on healing this. just a thought. doctors do not want us to get healed but stay on meds. 

@tockerman

Jason Fung says we can reverse.

ALL of my Plant-Based doctors say we can reverse.

Why don’t people explore this option?

Yes, Fung’s approach is opposite of Dr. Neal Barnard’s

Plant Based approach, but the initial response is the same.

(Low Fat Plant Based would be for long-term sustainability).

The elephant in the room is to reverse T2, or at least reduce insulin.

But everyone will do anything to avoid reversing it.

Baffling. 

I have been eating the way he suggests for several years, plant based, low carb..some fat is ok..our body needs fat for energy..believe me..I've done my homework..low fat items always have extra sugar added..a no, no!..the diet the ADA suggested almost killed me. The only thing I haven't done..is the intermittent fasting..I will heal myself this year.. I don't want to be an insulin junkie! Been using it for almost 7 years...! Who knew fasting could be the answer??? Woman Surprised

@emmysmom

If I understand when ‘he’ is mentioned, you’re referring to 

Dr. Barnard, correct? Yes, he is plant based, but is not

‘low carb.’  And he would never suggest ‘some fat is OK’

if one is sick with diabetes.  His nutritional advice is always whole foods

so the ‘extra sugar’ would suggest processed food, which is not

part of his suggestions.  Low fat = 10%~ of total calories.

Fasting has its merits but telling someone to ‘not eat’ 

is not a realistic way to life one’s life.

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant-Based can heal.

It’s the only sustainable way to become insulin sensitive

and rid yourself of T2 diabetes. 

Or ‘he’ is Jason Fung....but he is not Plant Based,

so I’m a pinch confused who you are referencing. 

At the end end of the day, Type 2 Diabetes is a food borne condition.

It can be reversed. 

I have been following Dr. Bernstein's diet...for several years~I can't afford to lose any weight..my doctor is always telling me I'm too thin..but I've always been like this. I have a very petite frame...I weigh 112#...since I was a teenager. I did gain when I first got diabetes....not knowing what was wrong. He does suggest cereals and grains..(and my body can't handle them!)..I love yogurt and eggs..I'm also a vegetarian. Coconut milk to make smoothies..some fruits are ok..I've developed an allergy to most berries!!!.Bummer! I think we all need to tweak whatever diet we follow.

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@tockerman wrote:

please check out dr. jason fung he has a lot of good information on healing this. just a thought. doctors do not want us to get healed but stay on meds. 

@tockerman

Jason Fung says we can reverse.

ALL of my Plant-Based doctors say we can reverse.

Why don’t people explore this option?

Yes, Fung’s approach is opposite of Dr. Neal Barnard’s

Plant Based approach, but the initial response is the same.

(Low Fat Plant Based would be for long-term sustainability).

The elephant in the room is to reverse T2, or at least reduce insulin.

But everyone will do anything to avoid reversing it.

Baffling. 

I have been eating the way he suggests for several years, plant based, low carb..some fat is ok..our body needs fat for energy..believe me..I've done my homework..low fat items always have extra sugar added..a no, no!..the diet the ADA suggested almost killed me. The only thing I haven't done..is the intermittent fasting..I will heal myself this year.. I don't want to be an insulin junkie! Been using it for almost 7 years...! Who knew fasting could be the answer??? Woman Surprised

@emmysmom

If I understand when ‘he’ is mentioned, you’re referring to 

Dr. Barnard, correct? Yes, he is plant based, but is not

‘low carb.’  And he would never suggest ‘some fat is OK’

if one is sick with diabetes.  His nutritional advice is always whole foods

so the ‘extra sugar’ would suggest processed food, which is not

part of his suggestions.  Low fat = 10%~ of total calories.

Fasting has its merits but telling someone to ‘not eat’ 

is not a realistic way to life one’s life.

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant-Based can heal.

It’s the only sustainable way to become insulin sensitive

and rid yourself of T2 diabetes. 

Or ‘he’ is Jason Fung....but he is not Plant Based,

so I’m a pinch confused who you are referencing. 

At the end end of the day, Type 2 Diabetes is a food borne condition.

It can be reversed. 

I have been following Dr. Bernstein's diet...for several years~I can't afford to lose any weight..my doctor is always telling me I'm too thin..but I've always been like this. I have a very petite frame...I weigh 112#...since I was a teenager. I did gain when I first got diabetes....not knowing what was wrong. He does suggest cereals and grains..(and my body can't handle them!)..I love yogurt and eggs..I'm also a vegetarian. Coconut milk to make smoothies..some fruits are ok..I've developed an allergy to most berries!!!.Bummer! I think we all need to tweak whatever diet we follow.

Slender people who eat high amounts of dietary fat can 

still have T2 diabetes.  Eliminating dietary fat & replace those calories

with starch, fruit/veg, beans, etc will increase your Insulin Sensitivity

(that’s a good thing) and one can remain the same weight.  

The focus should be to increase insulin sensitivity & remove medication.

Honored Contributor

I just got back from my endo' office. She said she recently had 3 patients hospitalized who followed internet nutrition. Apparently one plant based physician claimed 300 fasting blood sugars were fine. All 3 patients had ketoacidosis. One just recovered after 2 days in a coma. Hard lesson to learn when you nearly lose your life..

Beware where you get your advice on nutrition. No diet can be a cure for everyone especially since there is no cure for diabetes. Check with your personal physician before undertaking any diet shared on the Internet. It could be your own life saved.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I just got back from my endo' office. She said she recently had 3 patients hospitalized who followed internet nutrition. Apparently one plant based physician claimed 300 fasting blood sugars were fine. All 3 patients had ketoacidosis. One just recovered after 2 days in a coma. Hard lesson to learn when you nearly lose your life..

Beware where you get your advice on nutrition. No diet can be a cure for everyone especially since there is no cure for diabetes. Check with your personal physician before undertaking any diet shared on the Internet. It could be your own life saved.

That happened to me...I was following the ADA recs...eating foods I just can't handle..my blood sugar was 700 and I was sent to the ER...I won't be posting anything more about my routine..it works for me...I'm not suggesting it will work for others..seems there are always others that seem to know it all!

-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

@emmysmom  I am pretty sure it is the old standby N (nph) and R (regular) insulin that walmart has  that is OTC and less expensive. I am pretty certain Lantus will be prescription only. Not everyone needs lantus, discuss with your physician to see if he would consider trying you on the n and r. You just have to learn about your eating habits and when the injection is going to have a peak effect. That is the reson why a lot of doctors started prescribing lantus, it goes to work and works evenly until it drops off, no peak effects. Many people still use the old standby n and r.

I also do not know if you are using an insulin pen or vial andsyringe. The vials and syringes may be cheaper than the pens. They use to be anyway.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

For those taking Novolog or Levemir I just found a website with a card you can download and copy that will give a huge discount on these meds. It is good for 2 years of reduced prices on insulin and various other meds.

Check it out if you have private insurance or you are uninsured. According to the site you cannot get the discount if you have Medicare.

https://www.novocare.com/select-brand.html

Honored Contributor

@emmysmomdiabetes forums will never steer you wrong, or make false claims..They actually know what they are talking about, and are a good source of information