Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone having problems affording insulin??

@MoJoV wrote:

@emmysmom Your post really makes me sad.  It's so disgusting what we've allowed to happen with life saving drugs in our country. We all sit and shake our heads, we have to get something done about this.  I pray you find some solution.  It's so wrong you should have to go through this.

Thanks...Ita...its just not right! Its all about money...!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

I've heard of this problem w/ppl who have to use a specific brand of insulin where it takes an act of god for insurance to cover it. 

You don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.  Also try GoodRx.

factoid:  The ppl who discovered insulin didn't patent it on purpose so it would be affordable for everybody.  Guess they didn't count on "innovations" driving up the price.

Wow, sad isn't it.?.its all about greed..!!! Diabetes can cause stroke, high blood pressure, kidney disease among other things. I've had a stroke..and high blood pressure. I lost my mother, aunt and cousin...they were all diabetics and died from a stroke! Scary business!

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz - I agree about the side effects.

The one that really gets me is the swelling of the lips, throat or tongue.  Well if you're alone and your throat swells, you're pretty much dead because you can't breath.

Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Is it possible for you to use Metformin?  Pharmacies will offer that medication for free.

They put me on Met at the beginning...I got very ill...tummy pain, etc. I thought it was from the diabetes. Thankfully I saw another doctor who suggested I quit the Met..and I started Lantus, The pain went away a few days later..and my pharmacist told me about the side effects..there were many. So thankful I got off that stuff...that was 6 years ago. 

@emmysmom It takes time to adjust to metformin. Virtually almost everyone has a reaction to it initially. Also the slow release formula alleviates the gastrointestinal symptoms. The drug is life enhancing and protective. I take it and it is being prescribed more and more for Type 1 diabetics with an insulin regime. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak wrote:

Why has this drug not become a generic or has it?  I thought drugs went generic after 7 years and insulin has been around for decades now.  Maybe I'm way off base here and for some reason, it can never become a generic drug but in that case, there is no reason, other than greed, for it to be as expensive as it is now.  I'm not diabetic but a friend is and she's told me how pricey it is.

@Tyak  Lantus is off patent restriction.  They've tried to block some competitors which are bioequivalent (generic) by putting additional patents on it and have gone to court but I don't think any have been successful.    

CVS dropped them and went with the generic as a protest aginst the high pricing which is why you see it being dropped from the formularies.  

Drugs are awarded a 20 year patent and it takes about 10 years to go through the FDA approval process which means most drugs when they come to market have an approximate 10 year more or less exclusivity time period left which is granted to let the developers recoup some of the massive R&D costs. 

Most drug trials fail so the expense for companies to put in the effort to develop new drugs for us needs some kind of financial award so that they will keep trying and researching for us.  That's also the reason for the commercials.  They want their upfront money back.    

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sign up at lantus.com to see if you qualify for discount.  I received a coupon for lantus which is prescribed for diabetic cat.  $99 for vial.  $149 for pens.  I was able to fill script for Panda at Walgreens.  Less expensive than any other options I found thru my research.

Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@tansy wrote:

My insurance for 2019 has dropped Lantus but will cover Levemir.

I use the vials instead of pens.

I prefer the vials too..I kept getting high readings on the PEN's..I find it easier to draw up what I need with the syringes...! Are you using Levemir now?? If so..any problems??

I still have three vials of Lantus to use up, @emmysmom.  From what I’ve read, I don’t expect to have any problems.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I are type 2 diabetics on insulin. Our insurance stopped covering Lantus (we were both on Lantus & Novolog).Our endocrinologist suggested Basaglar & Novolog for me--and Humilin for my husband--all in insulin pens. Our insurance insists we get 90 days worth of each--which would come to $75 for each insulin. However, I went online to the companies that make each insulin and was able to obtain discount cards, thankfully. We now pay $15 for 90 days of Humilin....$25 for 90 days of Basaglar...but still $75 for 90 days of Novolog (I used their coupon up--it's only good for 2 years).

By the way, Lantus is a great insulin and worked wonderfully for both of us--Levemir did not work for us---Basaglar is a decent substitute for me and my husband is doing very well on Humilin.

Definitely try looking online at the drug company's web pages--see if their discount cards will help you afford your insulins.  Good luck and be well!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Is it possible for you to use Metformin?  Pharmacies will offer that medication for free.

They put me on Met at the beginning...I got very ill...tummy pain, etc. I thought it was from the diabetes. Thankfully I saw another doctor who suggested I quit the Met..and I started Lantus, The pain went away a few days later..and my pharmacist told me about the side effects..there were many. So thankful I got off that stuff...that was 6 years ago. 

@emmysmom It takes time to adjust to metformin. Virtually almost everyone has a reaction to it initially. Also the slow release formula alleviates the gastrointestinal symptoms. The drug is life enhancing and protective. I take it and it is being prescribed more and more for Type 1 diabetics with an insulin regime. 

I'm very happy with my Lantus...we'll see what happens. Last year I asked for an exception..and my doctor let them (my insurance) know I needed Lantus...and I was able to get it. I need to see my doctor in November..actually looking forward to seeing her..she's so sweet! They give out alot of samples..syringes..I even got the Lantus pens as samples..it was a good thing..they didn't work well for me. The vials work like a charm.

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@emmysmom Your post really makes me sad.  It's so disgusting what we've allowed to happen with life saving drugs in our country. We all sit and shake our heads, we have to get something done about this.  I pray you find some solution.  It's so wrong you should have to go through this.

I so agree! Its frightening!!! Woman Mad

-- Mae West