Esteemed Contributor

Anyone having problems affording insulin??

Been using insulin since 2012...received a letter today saying I would not be getting any assistance. I can't afford it on my own. I'm calling a company called SimpleFill...to see if I can enroll. Anyone else have problems affording insulin??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone having problems affording insulin??

I don't know much about insulin but I have a friend who had a dog that took it.  She shopped around and found it significantly cheaper at Walmart's Market Store.  It wasn't discounted at the Super Centers, just these stores that sell groceries only.  If you have one in your area, you might try that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom  Do you get insulin through the drug company?  I don't take insulin but I do receive my Rheumatoid Arthritis syringes through a foundation associated with the drug company.  I have been receiving for 7 years.  It is so expensive (a couple of thousand or more) that there is no way I could afford Enbrel.  I hope you are able to find assistance somewhere but I always start with the drug company that makes the drug.  Good luck to you.  I personally think the drug companies need to stop charging so much for medication especially to seniors.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom

I am so sad to hear this, and understand how scary it can be. I get two days of infusions 4 - 1/2 hours each every five weeks.  These infusions are > $5,000 each.  Without insurance I could not afford them. 

You might contact the American Diabetic Association for more suggestions.

Best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I have been using Humalog Qwik pen for 8 years. Because it is a tier 3 drug there is a $225 copay for the first time then 45 dollars a box of 5 pens after that. Because my pancreas does not work well anymore I use more than I did at first. In the US if you have not ins. a box of the pens is $613. In British Columbia they sell insulin over the counter, not prescription needed. Same maufacturer same number on the box. Same box really.It is $58 dollars a box .less with the exchange. Now I am not going to admit getting it there on this forum but lets say I have lots of relatives in that province. I know many who go to Mexico and are allowed to bring back 6  boxes. I know people skimming on usage becasue of cost. This country is all about profits. Bet the CEOs are raking in the bonuses. I also know someone who buys her nephew the Epi pen in Canada and brings it down to him. Dont believe the propaganda about it not being the same quality. It is the same.Good luck to you in your quest to get help paying for the insulin.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@emmysmom  Do you get insulin through the drug company?  I don't take insulin but I do receive my Rheumatoid Arthritis syringes through a foundation associated with the drug company.  I have been receiving for 7 years.  It is so expensive (a couple of thousand or more) that there is no way I could afford Enbrel.  I hope you are able to find assistance somewhere but I always start with the drug company that makes the drug.  Good luck to you.  I personally think the drug companies need to stop charging so much for medication especially to seniors.

It makes me crazy..the companies are so greedy! I'll give it a try, thanks so much!Heart

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@allaries wrote:

I have been using Humalog Qwik pen for 8 years. Because it is a tier 3 drug there is a $225 copay for the first time then 45 dollars a box of 5 pens after that. Because my pancreas does not work well anymore I use more than I did at first. In the US if you have not ins. a box of the pens is $613. In British Columbia they sell insulin over the counter, not prescription needed. Same maufacturer same number on the box. Same box really.It is $58 dollars a box .less with the exchange. Now I am not going to admit getting it there on this forum but lets say I have lots of relatives in that province. I know many who go to Mexico and are allowed to bring back 6  boxes. I know people skimming on usage becasue of cost. This country is all about profits. Bet the CEOs are raking in the bonuses. I also know someone who buys her nephew the Epi pen in Canada and brings it down to him. Dont believe the propaganda about it not being the same quality. It is the same.Good luck to you in your quest to get help paying for the insulin.

Yes, I have a friend that travels to Canada 2x a year to get her insulin..sad isn't it??

-- Mae West
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried good rx? I found that helpful. Also tell your doctor. They may be able to get  cheaper insulin. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

It makes me crazy..the companies are so greedy! I'll give it a try, thanks so much!Heart

@emmysmom @Katcat1 Yeah, the Enbrel folks have to pay Phil Mikelson, too.   (I really don't think companies should advertise on TV.)  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

Been using insulin since 2012...received a letter today saying I would not be getting any assistance. I can't afford it on my own. I'm calling a company called SimpleFill...to see if I can enroll. Anyone else have problems affording insulin??

If I remember correctly @emmysmom, you are a Type 2 diabetic. Have you investigated other meds other than Lantus for your diabetes? As a Type 2 diabetic, there are many far less expensive routes you could go other than the utilization of insulin. Have you discussed this with your physician? If you were denied coverage by your insurance company, you can always have your physician place a claim that no other medication but insulin will help you. Also metformin is an excellent drug for diabetes helping with insulin resistance thus making it that you may be able to use less at least.

I am a Type 1 diabetic with private insurance. I have heard some horror stories from people on Medicare Part D in regard to the cost of insulin. Even now my co-pays are very expensive as I need both a basal and short acting insulin.

Hopefully, this life saving drug will not continue to increase in price. It was always very affordable and suddenly the price has increased exponentially. More needs to be done to make it affordable for everyone and Soon!

Good luck to you and I hope that you find a solution in finding more affordable insulin if no other medication can be substituted.