Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have the 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) done?

I think I have dense breasts. I have fibrous tissue because I had to have a needle biopsy in 2009.

I will call Cigna and ask them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

My last two mammos were 3D. I find it more comfortable than the old traditional machine.

Honored Contributor

My claim isn't processed yet. :/

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

I didn't find it to be much different than the regular mammogram, and got definitive results immediately. I was told that it might not be totally covered by my insurance but I haven't been billed yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Instant results. Love it.

Honored Contributor

hm so I had mine done but it wasn't instant results. It took three days and I got a call back. I was surprised since from the posts here it sounds like everywhere else they do 3D there is always a radiologist on hand to look at the results right then and there and we could have done the ultrasound right away and saved me time, stress, and gas money. Now I have to drive all the way back there (it is over an hour away) to get an ultrasound done. I wonder why they all don't have the radiologist on hand?

Trusted Contributor

Somewhat OT, but a "thank you" for this thread...........annual mammogram scheduled for Dec. 3 and the usual anxiety is beginning to creep in, however, reading all your posts has somehow put me at ease ~~~~ appreciate it!
Trusted Contributor

I was actually the first person to have it done at the Johns Hopkins suburban location where I go for my mammograms. I thought the compression pressure was a little less, but the stance was just slightly more awkward. I also had to hold my breath a little longer for each view. But, no big major difference.

I did have to pay a $50 copay, but thought it was worth it. However, they don't give instant results. I had mine done on a Tuesday and my results were ready by Friday morning. Instead of waiting for "the letter" to come in the mail, I just drove over and picked them up.

Had my first post-menopausal Dexa Scan done also. All was normal for both tests. That anxiety is now done for another year. I don't mind getting the mammograms. I hate waiting for the results.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

On 11/14/2014 only shops online said:

I was actually the first person to have it done at the Johns Hopkins suburban location where I go for my mammograms. I thought the compression pressure was a little less, but the stance was just slightly more awkward. I also had to hold my breath a little longer for each view. But, no big major difference.

I did have to pay a $50 copay, but thought it was worth it. However, they don't give instant results. I had mine done on a Tuesday and my results were ready by Friday morning. Instead of waiting for "the letter" to come in the mail, I just drove over and picked them up.

Had my first post-menopausal Dexa Scan done also. All was normal for both tests. That anxiety is now done for another year. I don't mind getting the mammograms. I hate waiting for the results.

This was exactly my experience-compression was less but oh boy the stances were completely awkward and not natural, lol. And yes, I had to hold my breath longer which they didn't warn me about for the first one and I didn't take a big enough breath and almost took a breath in the middle of the scan! And like you, it took 2 days for me to get my results (done on Tuesday, got the call Thursday).

What is a dexa scan?

Isn't is nice when the exams are done for the year? They always make me anxious and I too hate waiting for results.

Honored Contributor

I am going for mine the day after Thanksgiving. My gyno gave me a perscription for an ultra sound "if needed" because of a call-back last November, and I will not leave the site until I know what my results are. Good for all of us!