Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have the 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) done?

On 11/14/2014 HappyDaze said:

hm so I had mine done but it wasn't instant results. It took three days and I got a call back. I was surprised since from the posts here it sounds like everywhere else they do 3D there is always a radiologist on hand to look at the results right then and there and we could have done the ultrasound right away and saved me time, stress, and gas money. Now I have to drive all the way back there (it is over an hour away) to get an ultrasound done. I wonder why they all don't have the radiologist on hand?

You may want to call your various imaging centers to find out which ones have a radiologist on hand for readings.

I only go to centers with MD on site. Regardless of what type of mammogram it is it can be read immediately and if needed the ultrasound is preformed at the same visit. I once had the doctor come out to explain the results to me. He calmed my nerves and explained they had confirmed my lump was a cyst.

Apparently sending the images overseas (esp India) is a HUGE cost savings, the downside is the delay in results.

PS- yes, I did get my overdue mammogram done. They did a 3D, no additional cost or co-pay.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 docsgirl said:

Happy,

The breast center where I have my mammos done automatically does a regular, a digital, and a 3-D on everyone, including just screening mammograms. Also, if you want your results right away, you can sit a wait for a few minutes while the radiologist reads the films and compares them to last year's. I walk out knowing my results...no waiting for a phone call or letter. Also, they have ultrasound equipment and everything else right there so if something suspicious shows up on the mammogram you can have other tests right then and there instead of waiting and waiting. It truly is a state of the art facility and was built by a surgeon whose wife died of breast cancer. It was her dream to have the best of the best for all women and I feel truly blessed to have this facility. Sorry for digressing but to answer your question, 'Yes, I have had 3-D mammograms every time I have my screening done.' I, too, have dense breasts. You'll be just fine. God bless. docsgirl

Wow...I have never heard of this, and I am a nurse practitioner. I would be interested in seeing studies that prove that there is some benefit to this. It sounds redundant, over-the-top, and like exposure to more radiation than is necessary to me. I think there is some confusion here and that this is inaccurate.

The digital mammogram has a great benefit over the regular mammogram because it allows the radiologist to magnify or manipulate the contrast and resolution for a clearer image. A regular mammogram and a digital mammogram are both called 2-D mammograms. That may be where the confusion lies. A breast mammography center would take either a regular mammogram or a digital mammogram...not both. However, they could add the 3-D mammogram after a 2-D mammogram.

The 3-D mammogram obviously can be manipulated even more by being able to view thin slices of the breast from different angles.

A friend of mine who had a mastectomy five years ago was just found by 3-D mammogram to have some tiny crystal-type structures in her breast. A needle biopsy of the area showed malignant cells, so she will be having a mastectomy of the other breast. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

My clinic already does the 3D but they still have a doctor read it and send me the results in the mail like before. If they think they see something off they would do a sonogram right after the mammogram while you are still there.

They told me right off the bat that it was 3D when I walked in.

Respected Contributor

Two years ago when I signed in at imaging center, they asked if I wished to have the 3D for $40 extra. Insurance pays for a normal mammo and the $40 was the difference out of pocket between the two. I had breast cancer so thought it'd be a good idea and when I saw the surgeon (I see him after each mammo) he said I shouldn't bother. I'm soon to be 60 and the radiologist report and the surgeon both say that my breasts are pretty much all fat now and when you view the film, the view is very clear. Surgeon told me that some issues make 3D a very good option but in my case, he thinks I should stick to regular mammos. (He said when many get to a certain age, this is the case, so ask).

Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 BeanCounter17 said:

Two years ago when I signed in at imaging center, they asked if I wished to have the 3D for $40 extra. Insurance pays for a normal mammo and the $40 was the difference out of pocket between the two. I had breast cancer so thought it'd be a good idea and when I saw the surgeon (I see him after each mammo) he said I shouldn't bother. I'm soon to be 60 and the radiologist report and the surgeon both say that my breasts are pretty much all fat now and when you view the film, the view is very clear. Surgeon told me that some issues make 3D a very good option but in my case, he thinks I should stick to regular mammos. (He said when many get to a certain age, this is the case, so ask).

actually, our boobies are mostly fat, regardless of if they are twenty year old boobies or sixty year old boobies. Smiley Happy

After thinking about it awhile, I kind of agree with another poster that perhaps there really is no need to subject women to the extra radiation if they don't need to. I think if you have smaller breasts and/or breasts that do NOT have dense tissue (I have larger breasts and they are dense), then the 3D is really probably is not needed.

Honored Contributor

No. It has a lot more radiation then the regular mammo. They need to come out with a test with less radiation not more. Also more false positives & unnecessary biopsies.

Honored Contributor

I think I may have to change my mind again, lol. After talking with the radiologist that was going over my ultrasound of one of my breasts, she said that it is amazing how early they've detected breast cancer since the 3D technology came out which, as we know, the earlier we detect it, the better outcome. I mean, if we only get it once a year, is it really going to expose us to too much radiation? I don't know. In my case, they did some views with the regular method and then a couple views they did with the 3D so they didn't do the whole thing in 3D. I thought that was a good compromise.

Trusted Contributor

Had my mammo today - posted earlier it was to be Dec. 3 - I moved it up cause wanted it over by Thanksgiving.........as I mentioned in earlier post anxiety was creeping in! Stayed for results as usual and ALL'S FINE!!!!!!?? I did not have a 3D - the tech told me it is an option if breasts are very dense (mine are not) and the Dr. would like another ""view"". All done in one appt. if needed~~~~~~~thrilled that's over for another year!
Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Irish1210 said: Had my mammo today - posted earlier it was to be Dec. 3 - I moved it up cause wanted it over by Thanksgiving.........as I mentioned in earlier post anxiety was creeping in! Stayed for results as usual and ALL'S FINE!!!!!!?? I did not have a 3D - the tech told me it is an option if breasts are very dense (mine are not) and the Dr. would like another "view". All done in one appt. if needed~~~~~~~thrilled that's over for another year!

yay, awesome! Glad to hear all is fine!

Valued Contributor

I had one in November. less painful than the reg., for me and ins. covered it.