Honored Contributor

Anyone have the 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) done?

Is it much different than a regular mammogram in terms of how they do it? I just kind of what to know what to expect. I have dense breast tissue (and rather large chest) and they recommend I do the 3D.

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have the 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) done?

Happy,

The breast center where I have my mammos done automatically does a regular, a digital, and a 3-D on everyone, including just screening mammograms. Also, if you want your results right away, you can sit a wait for a few minutes while the radiologist reads the films and compares them to last year's. I walk out knowing my results...no waiting for a phone call or letter. Also, they have ultrasound equipment and everything else right there so if something suspicious shows up on the mammogram you can have other tests right then and there instead of waiting and waiting. It truly is a state of the art facility and was built by a surgeon whose wife died of breast cancer. It was her dream to have the best of the best for all women and I feel truly blessed to have this facility. Sorry for digressing but to answer your question, 'Yes, I have had 3-D mammograms every time I have my screening done.' I, too, have dense breasts. You'll be just fine. God bless. docsgirl

Occasional Contributor

Hi there, I just had a 3D mammo recently. It is very similar to the digital in pressure and it consisted of two views on each side. I was told it would require slightly less pressure and to me it seemed about the same. I too went to a facility where waiting for the radiologist to read the test was an option and all went well. I'm sure it will for you too. I have very dense breast tissue and have had about 11 mammo's (I'm 51), I had previously been called back for additional views each time. I'm so glad I now have this option, the stress of a call back is something I always dreaded. I was told by the tech that the 3D makes things much easier to read and to always request it when scheduling. I wish you luck, you will do great!

Respected Contributor

I also have this test every time that I go for a mammogram because of my family history. My mother and sister both died of breast cancer. I also see a breast cancer doctor on a regular basis and also was prescribed tamoxifen that is also prescribed to breast cancer survivors. It is a preventative measure on my part. I have also already had two biopsies that were both benign. I also have very dense breasts and have been having mammograms since sometime in my 30's because of my family history.

Esteemed Contributor

A few months ago I was called back to have a 3D due to issues with the digital and I really couldn't tell a difference in the process except that the radiologist was there the second time. Maybe they do smoosh it down a little harder, but not a lot. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Thank you ladies! The information you all provided is very reassuring- I appreciate it! This is only my second mammogram and didn't even know about the 3D option but my hospital sent me a reminder letter for my next one and they stated I can request the 3D for my next mammo due to my denser breasts. They didn't mention anything about being able to get results right away but boy that would be so nice because I too HATE the waiting. I hate doctor and hospital stuff as it is and waiting for test results of any kind always makes me nervous.

docsgirl, that sounds like an amazing facility and what I wonderful thing for that doctor to do for the memory of his wife and for all women.

susan25, I am glad you are being so proactive! I did not know they gave tamoxifin for preventative measures.

all other ladies- so happy you are all doing your screenings regularly. I know we all get nervous doing these types of things but it really is the best thing for early detection which increases the survivability rate.

ETA: I wonder why they just don't do the 3D on everyone since they said insurance covers it. I wonder why some places say you have to ask for it?

Respected Contributor

The radiologists I spoke to said the images and the clarity of the 3D mammograms is amazing. They said for dense tissue breasts it is the difference of night and day.

Just listening to them made me want to see the images myself, it was so interesting.

I scheduled mine for next week ( I am a year over due!)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've done the 3D for the last 2 years (just went a couple of weeks ago). I didn't have to hold my breath for the 3D pictures, only the regular ones.

My facility charges $50 extra up front for 3D because insurance doesn't cover it yet (but your flexible spending account will cover it if you have one).

I don't mind paying for better pictures and less of a chance of a call back. I remember when digital first came out and we had to pay the same fee for a few years before insurance covered it.

My gyn told me the preliminary statistics that came out after the first year of it being widely used were really encouraging.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I was standing next to another woman paying the $50 fee and I was joking that in 20 years we'll probably just be able to hold our phones up to our boobs and have it read by a radiologist in New Zealand. LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

VaBelle, lol, that is too funny. It probably will be true! BTW, they told me I don't have to pay anything for the 3D- a yearly mammogram is covered by my insurance (i.e. no copay or out of pocket expense), including the 3D screening. Maybe it depends on if you have dense breasts or a history of BC in your family as to if insurance will cover it completely or not?

Abrowneyegirl, glad you are going to get yours done- no more procrastination! Smile I was fascinated when they did my echocardiogram- it was so fascinating (if not a little unnerving, lol) to see my own heart working, with all the valves opening and closing, etc. It was so awesome!