Trusted Contributor

Anyone have success treating scars?

[ Edited ]

I have a scar from a fractured wrist plate inserted

Anyone find help in smoothing them out & lessening their appearance?

I am going to try the scar gel stuff at the store, just looking if anyone has any tips or tricks

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have success treating scars?

I used Cooper P from Isomers daily on a surgical scar. Even the surgeon was impressed in follow-up checks and asked what i was putting on it.  Four years later, the scar is barely visible. 

Honored Contributor

A few weeks ago I had an iron at the hottest setting tip over on to my arm.  Worst burn I've ever had (approx 4" x 1/2")....  As soon as it was healed together, I started using Josie Maran's pure argon oil in the morning (because I use it on my arms anyway) and a store scar ointment in the evening.  I've been doing it for about two weeks now and the scar tissue is minimal.  It's still red but fading and the lengh is now about  2 1/2" that I can see and the width is about 1/4".  I'm really happy with the results.

I know they also sell ointments for long time scars that I understand are successful.... good  luck~!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I have a scar from a fractured wrist plate inserted

Anyone find help in smoothing them out & lessening their appearance?

I am going to try the scar gel stuff at the store, just looking if anyone has any tips or tricks

Thanks!

Yes, I have training in this. Deep tissue work helps the most. You want to place your fingers directly on the scar tissue (I am assuming it has healed together and doesn't still have stitches in it or open portions. If not, wait until the tissue has come together and/or the stitches are out or you may re-open it) With fingers places on the scar tissue, press down and MOVE the skin- North South East and West, then around in circles. You DON'T want to RUB the skin, like a massage...your fingers should stay stationary in one position while you MOVE the skin. Press as much as you can tolerate in terms of pain/uncomfortable-ness...the older the scar, the harder you press. If it's a recent scar, go lighter. When you've finished one area, pick up your fingers and place them in another location on  the scar. You can do this several times a day, but at least 1x will help dramatically. I don't suggest adding an oil or ointment WHILE you're doing the deep tissue work, as it adds slip and you'll be rubbing, not doing deeper work. You can an oil to soften the scar at the END of the session. I suggest 100% pure oils: cocoa butter, wheatgerm, olive or a hogh quality emu oil (the last one, you'd have to get from a reputable place. I like emu from Songline...they are on the web)

Honored Contributor

Annmarie---I broke my wrist in Jan and had plates and screws put into. My scar is very thin and faint but will never disappear. I used a vit E capsule to rub into it. It softened it up so there is no bulky scar tissue over it. Worked very well.

Honored Contributor

I had a cyst removed last September and the surgeon said to get Mepiform and put it on the scar as soon as the surgical strips fell off.

You keep them on 24/7 even in the shower.  Mine stayed on for 4-5 days, I just kept trimming the edges when they rolled and re-stuck them on.

They are not cheap but I will say both scars look great.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

After surgery (2003) the doctor sent me for physical therapy ... part of which was scar management.  Plastic surgeon works with doctor and therapist.  I have an 8" scar on my right arm that's barely noticeable.  There was this patch thing I had to wear over the incision as it healed and there was some massage that the therapist did.

In 1991,  I had surgery on my left upper arm.  Doctor warned me that it would leave a scar ... and boy did it ever.  It looks like I have a 4" white zipper on my upper arm.  I've learned to live with it.  Nothing OTC ever made one bit of a difference.

Honored Contributor

I had surgery on my shoulder 2 years ago. I've been applying BioOil religiously and my scar is actually not to be seen! Its quite amazing!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a scar from an appendectomy I had when I was 16yo. Now 62, I started using a microneedling roller made for scars on it. After about year of rolling, my scar has faded considerably and is less noticeable. In case you were wondering...rolling with that thing was not exaclty pain-free, actually it hurt a lot.Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

I used Cooper P from Isomers daily on a surgical scar. Even the surgeon was impressed in follow-up checks and asked what i was putting on it.  Four years later, the scar is barely visible. 

I also used Copper P serum and Desert Youth cream after my thyroidectomy surgery 10 years ago.It totally faded into practically nothing after 1.5-2 years.  People do not even see it when they look close. My surgeon was amazing though !!!!