Respected Contributor

Tell me about your journey and how you feel now with treatment , compared to before without.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have sleep apnea ?

Yes .. I had a very severe case .. stopped breathing many times during

the night .... they had me on a monitor at home and it tested high ...

So I got a c-pac machine ... I had no trouble adjusting to it ... and my

husband and family love it as there is no more snoring at all .....

Have you been tested and do you need a c-pac machine ??

Super Contributor

My husband has had apnea since the early 70's.  I saw a piece on the news one evening and said "that's what you have".  He was tested and sure enough, he did indeed have it.  At that time there were no beathing apparatus to help him.  But starting in the 80's we have been through many newer and newer breathing machines.  He's now 83 and of course still has it, and has the latest c-pap machine the VA has.  It at times drives me crazy but it's kept him going, so we deal with it.  My grandson, whose now 38, had it as a two week old baby and was on a monitor and medication for a year.  At that time they told us it was the likely cause of SIDS.  He'll probably end up with a c-pap as well.

Trusted Contributor

@MW in Iowa I had issues going to sleep, sleeping through the night & not feeling like I had slept at all for probably the last five years or so while working and it was noticeable.  A year later I needed hip replacement and the doctor referred me for a sleep study before he would do surgery.  The sleep study showed I had severe sleep apnea but also I kicked my feet/moved my feet & legs alot.  I am now on a cpap machine which has helped so much with the sleep apnea and I have iron infusions 3-4/year which helps the restless legs. If you are able I would recommend a sleep study - it can help your doctor guide you on the best way to help you get a good night's sleep.

Respected Contributor

My journey was kind of weird as my medical doctor first referred me to a clinic which only had a "consulting" physician and made it difficult to get supplies. 

Once I got set up with an office of "regular" doctors it has been smoother. My current doctor is oriental and more of a believer in natural remedies....suggesting melatonin rather than a prescription if I have problems falling asleep. 

I feel like I'm addicted to my machine and rarely sleep without it. Sometimes I buy my own supplies thru CPapXchange rather than a medical provider. My first machine was over 7 years old when it was replaced and the new one is lighter, quieter. 

I use a 10 ft hose, an extra filter between the machine and the hose, and a small stand that feeds the hose from the machine to the bed. And I always took everything along when we went on cruises. 

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Tell me about your journey and how you feel now with treatment , compared to before without.

@MW in Iowa ,  Are you asking for yourself? Either way, a Sleep Study is the only way to know for sure. I am aware of the "home monitoring" machines, but they in no way can transmit the brain activity equivalent to a structured Sleep Study. 

I have had 6 Sleep Studies, not done for Sleep Apnea, but primarily for Oxygen Saturation Levels during sleep. They did however, secondarily,  show Sleep Apnea. I was on a CPAP, until my next Sleep Study about 6 months later. It showed no Sleep Apnea.

With 6 Sleep Studies and 3 showing Sleep Apnea and 3 showing no Sleep Apnea? While I was on an Oxygen Concentrator for over a year, no more CPAP for me. The Concentrator required only a Cannula, not a nose and mouth mask, or covering. Much more comfortable I must say.

My suggestion, not to be confused with ADVICE, would be a Sleep Study, but?? The VERY FIRST STEP?  See Your Doctor!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My diagnosis occured while I was in the hospital recovering from a total knee replacement.  The other patient in the room complained to the nurses that my snoring was keeping her awake all night.  The following night the nurses observed that indeed I was snoring all night.  I was hooked up to oxygen to curtail the snoring.  About a month later I underwent an overnight sleep study to determine a course of treatment.  I was immediately put on a CPAP to treat the apnea episodes.  I sleep so much better than I ever did without the CPAP, I could never go back.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was diagnosed 10 years ago and I faithfully use my C-Pap. Mine was diagnosed with a sleep study. I love wearing my C-Pap, I sleep great and feel so much better prior to being diagnosed with sleep apnea. 

I wear nasal pillows and not a full mask. The nasal pillows do not work well if I am sick and my nose is stuffed up, but a full mask is not for me. 

My brother uses a full mask. They let me pick what I thought I would be most comfortable with and it is definitely the nasal pillows. 

I am very happy to have the C-Pap. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much , i sleep alone but i wake myself up many times some nights , i don't think mine is a loud snoring. I have developed high blood pressure for the first time in my life. I am not overweight like some , i am actually very thin and a vegetarian. I also have walked for 20 plus years. Just goes to show you thin doesn't make you healthy.

Trusted Contributor

@MW in IowaHi, when you say you wake yourself up - do you feel like you are choking/gasping for air & do you wake up with a sore throat in the am?