Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone have side effects from Pepcid

I started typing ths and didn't want to retype, so sorry for all the excess info,  but I do have a suggestion below.

I've never had side effects from Famotidine, but I only take two 20mg tablets midday.  I used to take one in the monring and one in the evening.  Took that dosage for years (prior to that I took prescriptioni rainitidine 300 mg, before it was banned).  Recently started two meds that don't mix well with antacids, so I try to space them now.  I've had GERD for 20 years, but it has gotten a lot worse since I had a gastric sleeve in 2015 (BTW, prior to that had several negative H-Pylori tests).  

Am thinking about looking into a revision bariatric surgery. Not miserable with my weight, but can't stand throwing up all the time, not to mention the esophageal spasms.  The midday famotidine along with TUMS after most meals (I'm okay at breakfast, but need them when I eat other times) and avoiding stuff that I have issues with (like rice, steaks, chops) usually gets me through the day. 

Changing the famotidine to midday has helped in that I don't need TUMS as another food group anymore.  I used to go through a 72 pill bottle a day.  Now I may go through two bottles a week tops, if that. This seems to work better for me than my old routine.  I have to remember to take them, however.  When I don't; I get sick as a dog whether I eat or not.  

Finally, I can't take PPIs at all. My orthopedic surgeon took me off of it after a broken femur following hip replacement surgery.  Didn't fall or anything.  It just broke.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is a conversation you should have with your doctor. I never took Pepcid but a quick Google search shows fast/irregular/pounding heart beat as a side effect. Ask him to prescribe something else.

Valued Contributor

Take Pepto Bismol, the one for Diarrhea

The Bismuth in that, does kill the h-pylori

Read up on it.

It also kills other parasites and bacteria.

If that is indeed what you have, ulcers.

I'm not a doctor, just some who suffered for years with these problems, only to find younger doctors who were more up to date on treatments.

FYI, do you know that many doctors only have 8 hours of pharmaceutical in all their time in school...

Many times if you ask a doctor what a certain drug will do to you, if they are honest, they will tell you they don't know. They are only told what its suppose to do.

I wish you luck, they are no fun.......

Esteemed Contributor

@pieman wrote:

Take Pepto Bismol, the one for Diarrhea

The Bismuth in that, does kill the h-pylori

Read up on it.

It also kills other parasites and bacteria.

If that is indeed what you have, ulcers.

I'm not a doctor, just some who suffered for years with these problems, only to find younger doctors who were more up to date on treatments.

FYI, do you know that many doctors only have 8 hours of pharmaceutical in all their time in school...

Many times if you ask a doctor what a certain drug will do to you, if they are honest, they will tell you they don't know. They are only told what its suppose to do.

I wish you luck, they are no fun.......

@pieman   your so right about younger drs. My ophthalmologist is young and knows so much more then the previous ophthalmologist.   It's amazing how he helped me so quickly with my issue when the other dr never could find what was wrong for a couple of years.  I'm so thankful I found him he's wonderful and spends as much time as I need to answer all my questions and concerns.  Plus he allows me to partner with him about my own health ,  I like that.  He kids around a bit,  and is personable along with being intelligent and knowledgeable.   

I do take pepto as often as I can ,  it works probably better then any other med fir reflux which I also have and stomach pain and burning.   I've been told by several,drs not to take regularly though.   I've had issues with  extreme constipation if I take it too many days in a row .  I did not know about killing H. Pylori or bacteria ,  that is so good to know!  Thanks for the info 😀

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think this is a conversation you should have with your doctor. I never took Pepcid but a quick Google search shows fast/irregular/pounding heart beat as a side effect. Ask him to prescribe something else.

@chrystaltree   I find that sometimes I have to adjust meds my own way .  Drs tend to prescribe for symptoms the same for each patient and they don't stray from that .  They don't stray from what dosage is recommended.  No one knows our bodies better then us .   Your right I had googled it and saw heart pounding and fast heart beat IS a rare side effect.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have never used prescription Pepcid.  I use Protonix which is similar to Nexium. I was on Nexium before and I think we changed to Protonix mainly due to cost since my insurance wouldn't cover it.  This was before you could get OTC Nexium.  It was obvious to me immediately that the Protonix didn't work as well as the Nexium did, but after awhile things got better.  During that time I relyed on Pepcid Complete for the breakthrough pain.  It acts quickly.  

@Icegoddess @I've never tried the complete .   I'm going to look into it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore Yes, you can get  plugged up , you don't need to take the whole cup, I just take a tablespoon, that is enough to coat the stomach. I also make sure to eat diced up Honey Dew Melon, daily its less acidic and that will keep things moving along... so to speak...

Glad you have a doctor that cares enough to listen to you;..

I had always used my ENT for everything as well...

He is the one who really educated me on so many things.

Sadly, a few years back they found him dead, in his home, he had a clot to the brain.

My heart broke that day, I lost not only the best doctor but a very good friend,,

Now when I have to go to a doctor, I'll ask questions and they look at me in wonder. I say to myself "yes, you are speaking to someone who knows what they are talking about, doctor"

Nice talking to you, feel better,,,,,,,