Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have ocular migraines?

I've had three of them....all towards the end of my transition into menopause.  My doctor said they were hormone related.  So far, since I've been post-meno, I haven't had another.

They lasted less than 30 minutes.  The first one sent me running to the ER because I had a blurry spot in my central vision.

I never got a migraine afterwards.  But, had a very, very mild headache the following day, after each one.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I didn't go through the headaches, but I know about the vision mess up. It's probably been close to a year since I've been botherd by the sparkly zig zags. I have no idea why. I wish you luck on getting an answer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get them occasionally.

Sometimes it's like looking through wavy glass, rain running down windows in sheets or the sparklies.  Other times it blurs my vision in the lower corner of my eye.

It's always my left eye and the last time it happened I was driving.  Luckily I was only two right turns away from being home.

When the symptoms subside, I will have a headache, but not debilitating like a true migraine.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I'e had ophthalmic migraines for several years now. Not frequent. No pain. Even my eye doctor has them! It's a spasm of the blood vessels behind the retina. I just take one aspirin, sit down, close my eyes, and it's gone in under 30 minutes. No aftereffects.

Trusted Contributor

I've had them since I hit puberty. Used to be an all day thing where I had to lay down in a dark room till I would vomit, then the pain would gradually go away. Have been to the e.r. & received a shot that did little good. My paramedic husband gave me aspirin, Tylenol, & Benadryl one time & that helped me more than anything ever did. I always take that combo now as soon as it comes on with a cup of coffee. It's basically the same thing as migraine strength meds you get on the shelf, + Benadryl. It's been a real blessing to me. 

Respected Contributor

I get them also, triggered by lights, glare from computers and other bright light situations.  I especially get them from snow!!  I always have my sunglasses handy, they helpalong with aspirin and a cup of coffee.  I never get the painful headache, only the auras.

Contributor

I used to get them a lot and am pretty sure they're triggered by too many sweets.  Anyway, I now get Botox injections every 3-4 months and havent had one of these migraines in 2 years.

Valued Contributor

I have quite a history with the migraine auras followed by a migraine headache. Started when I was 17 and always related to my menstrual cycle. I would be in a dark room under covers with ice on the left side of my head. The day before the migraine struck I would not be able to focus in my left eye. Sometimes there were streaking lights, dizziness and nausea. No over the counter medicine ever did anything to resolve the aura or the migraine. I never had a migraine when I was pregnant! But shortly after giving birth I would have one. After trying to omit the triggers from my life I had to have prescription medicine which did work. However as time went on I would have to change medications because my tolerance increased and they did not work as well. As I got older the migraine frequency increased to several times a month. The doctor then prescribed a preventative medication that I take daily and it works very well. My migraine frequency is down to maybe 4 a year and the pain is easily managed now. My sister has this same condition even though my mom has never experienced a migraine! The migraines have always been on the left side behind my eye.

Honored Contributor

I get them too but there is no pain associated with them. Mine are like looking thru a small clear dot at the end of a blurry tunnel. Lasts maybe 20 minutes or so.  I've only had maybe 5 in my life, but had 2 just a few months ago and now have sizable floaters in my right eye. Feels like looking thru smudged glasses and I have to blink to clear it. Also have a black  circular floater too. Went to the eye dr 3 times where she dilated my eyes and there is nothing funky going on just part of he aging process., she says. I do have dry eye disease I've been dealing with since chemo 5 years ago and will need to do something more about that too. Could be related maybe?

Valued Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I get them too but there is no pain associated with them. Mine are like looking thru a small clear dot at the end of a blurry tunnel. Lasts maybe 20 minutes or so.  I've only had maybe 5 in my life, but had 2 just a few months ago and now have sizable floaters in my right eye. Feels like looking thru smudged glasses and I have to blink to clear it. Also have a black  circular floater too. Went to the eye dr 3 times where she dilated my eyes and there is nothing funky going on just part of he aging process., she says. I do have dry eye disease I've been dealing with since chemo 5 years ago and will need to do something more about that too. Could be related maybe?

.   You nailed it with its like looking through smudged glasses. Before I made the connection between the auras and the migraine pain I was continually taking off my glasses and cleaning the left lens. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my left eye and why I couldn't focus.   Em